The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 5, 2007, 05:46 PM   #1
Lavid2002

How do I learn to reload for .308?

I've read the abc's of reloading, Numerous posts online about reloading...and every article that comes up in google when you search reloading.....I dont know anything! Whats a good reputable source that will allow me to feel CONFIDENT that I can reload .308 (or any rifle ammunition for that matter) Successfully and skillfully.
The abc's of reloading showed me the very very basics of reloading....I still dont know how to adjust a die, how to scale a powder measure to properly calibrate it, etc......I dont know what manual to use or any good brands I should try to begin reloading.
I'm also interested in learning how to "tweak" my reloads or find new ones to accurise my rifle loads.
I do MUCH better with movies that books in terms of "Absorbing" the information. Ill read a page and have to re-read it to comprehend what I just read. So movies please.
thanks guys!
Dave
Old October 5, 2007, 06:04 PM   #2
cpaspr

You sound exactly opposite my wife. Tell her or show her how, she'll forget in 5 minutes. Give it to her on paper that she can follow and she's fine.

Can you check at the local gun store to see if they know anyone who reloads that can walk you through the actual processes? I learned years ago from my dad, then forgot it all for 20 years or so. But when I started reloading for myself, I had the gist of it in the back of my brain as I read the books to relearn. Must have done okay, because the .308s I loaded worked well enough to bag a deer shortly thereafter.

So my advice would be to find someone to show you.
Old October 5, 2007, 07:00 PM   #3
CrustyFN

A good reloading manual will have everything you need including load data. I have Speer #13 and think it's a very good manual. I hear that Lyman 48th is also a very good manual and will probably be my next one. When you buy a set of dies they will also come with directions on how to set them up. It's not hard and is even easier if you seat and crimp in seperate steps.
Rusty
Old October 5, 2007, 07:29 PM   #4
Lavid2002

So....buy manuals?

Buy manuals.....Is that what your suggestins...and go with the flow on the press, dies...etc..?
If so what manuals?
Old October 5, 2007, 07:44 PM   #5
Wildalaska

Well lets have a reload step by step thread...do you have equipment?

If not lets get you equipment first. What gun are you reloading for?

WildbabystepsAlaska ™
Old October 5, 2007, 07:46 PM   #6
Randy_che

CrustyFN gave a good set of suggestions. Speer and Lyman are good manuals. Lee is fine too. There are plenty of others that are good as well, but I prefer equipment manufacturer manuals to component manufacturer manuals. Lee's website has videos that show some of the setup and reloading procedures. They are pretty good and give you a good idea what's involved, but not always the why. Each die set comes with very clearly written instructions on die setup, which can also be found and downloaded on the manufacturer's websites. Try RCBS and Lyman for a good clear set of instructions. Manuals also have sections about how to improve loads and check for pressure and a whole variety of things. I've read all of mine several times.

Like most things, you learn a lot more by studying and doing it than by watching someone else do it. The videos help, but you'll need to get your hands on the press and brass to understand what's really going on. It's really not very hard. Just take your time and ask questions. Once you do it, it all becomes more clear.
Old October 5, 2007, 08:50 PM   #7
Lavid2002

alright

Quote:
Well lets have a reload step by step thread...do you have equipment?

If not lets get you equipment first. What gun are you reloading for?

WildbabystepsAlaska ™
No....I am planning on purchasing a .308 and I would DEFINATELY want to reload for that caliber since it will be a range rifle and accuracy, price, and hobby are a few reasons as to why I would want to reload. Im just getting set up ahead of time...before I purchase a rifle I cannot reload for.

And to the other comment "it's a first hand thing" I would love to have someone teach me but no one reloads! Im the first shooter in my family, andon top of that I dont want to learn from my mistakes when it comes to reloading....I only have one face : [
Old October 5, 2007, 10:27 PM   #8
crowbeaner

I prefer the Hodgdon #25 and#26 myself. The maximum charges are realistic, and pretty darn close to what I would call max. The Speer manuals will detail the reloading process, and wise shopping will get you the best deals in equipment. I hate to say this because I may get flamed, but there are some pretty good deals on fleabay if you know what you want for equipment. Stick with a good single stage to start with, and you will still be using it years from now. A good accurate scale is an absolute necessity, and a quality powder measure such as the RCBS Uniflow is essential also. Most good manuals are for sale right now on gunbroker.com, so look and see what you like. Reloading the .308 is the same as most any bottleneck cartridge, and is not difficult. Choosing your components can be bewildering, as there are a myriad of combination possibilities. Ball powder is the easiest to measure, and will give you good results AS LONG AS YOU FOLLOW the mfg. caveats. Hope this helps, and welcome to the Grand Obsession. CB.
Old October 5, 2007, 10:48 PM   #9
Wildalaska

Quote:
.before I purchase a rifle I cannot reload for.
You can reload for anything. Anything.

But before I would give you advice as to how and even WHAT to buy, it would be nice to know what kind of rifle you are planning to buy...auto, bolt, pump, surplus, cheap, expensive?

The basics are the same, the details my vary. You will not be neck sizing with an old Israeli Mauser or and Imbel Fal, you should not use Lee stuff on an AWP.

Warm Regards,

WildsoonestepatatimeAlaska TM
Old October 5, 2007, 11:15 PM   #10
tomh1426

I like the idea of a reload step by step thread (W/ pics)
Im also getting set up to start reloading (.357 & .45c) and watching someone else do it would make me feel more confident that Im doing it right.
Im pretty sure I can do it and Im pretty sure I got all the stuff to do it.
Besides a good manual bullets and powder.
Old October 6, 2007, 12:06 AM   #11
jhansman

I have rented several good DVDs from SmartFlix that have taught me a thing or two. Check them out: http://smartflix.com/store/video/428...dgun-Reloading
Old October 6, 2007, 04:54 AM   #12
Lavid2002

hmm

I know for shure the rifle is going to be a bolt action. Right now im aiming towards a Remington 700 LTR in .308 And Im going to put my leupold vx2 3-9x40 on that. Just so ya kno.
Quote:
You can reload for anything. Anything.

But before I would give you advice as to how and even WHAT to buy, it would be nice to know what kind of rifle you are planning to buy...auto, bolt, pump, surplus, cheap, expensive?

The basics are the same, the details my vary. You will not be neck sizing with an old Israeli Mauser or and Imbel Fal, you should not use Lee stuff on an AWP.

Warm Regards,

WildsoonestepatatimeAlaska TM
Old October 6, 2007, 06:05 AM   #13
qajaq59

Try the NRA

Try getting in touch with the NRA. Very often there will be one of their re-loading instructors living near you. And, although I am not 100% sure, I believe they are likely to have re-loading videos that you can get. Also, as someone else suggested, ask around at the range and/or the local gun stores to see if there is someone around your area that would give you a hand. Where do you live? If you're close enough I'll give you a hand myself.
Old October 6, 2007, 10:48 AM   #14
sundog

qajaq59 got it right. Find a certified NRA reloading instructor. Also, get the book NRA Guide to Reloading. It is a "How To" with a lot of top notch pics and graphics. Same book that used in the NRA reloading course. Available at most of the places like Midway and Midsouth, Nachez, etc., that have books. About 10 bucks.

Learn the basics real good before trying to do any advanced accuracy tweaking.

While you are shopping for that book, you may also stumble on a good 'how to' video.

Here's the problem, most of the stuff you will come across will tell you a lot of stuff to get you to buy all sorts of stuff. The nice thing a bout the NRA Guide is that you will learn for yourself what you need for the type of loading that you will be doing. That equals dollars saved for components, which means more trigger time.

I highly recommend the NRA Guide as the place to start though.
Old October 6, 2007, 11:07 AM   #15
Wildalaska

Quote:
I know for shure the rifle is going to be a bolt action. Right now im aiming towards a Remington 700 LTR in .308 And Im going to put my leupold vx2 3-9x40 on that. Just so ya kno.
Quote:
OK. so now shooting just targets or critters...or both...ranges?

WildalmostreadytostartyouAlaska TM
Old October 6, 2007, 09:37 PM   #16
Lavid2002

wel.....

Quote:
OK. so now shooting just targets or critters...or both...ranges?

WildalmostreadytostartyouAlaska TM
Ill be shooting targets and deer one day out of the year : D so mainly a target rifle. For competition at the local ranges
Old October 6, 2007, 10:38 PM   #17
Wildalaska

OK and do you want to do things right the first time or half assed for a while and improve later

WildlastquestionAlaska TM