Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 21, 1999, 05:33 PM   #1
Prichard

n

[This message has been edited by Prichard (edited February 07, 2000).]
Old May 21, 1999, 10:57 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Prichard, I don't think you can do that with the S&W. I don't have a book in front of me but if I remember correctly the Smith's mag safety is actually the disconnector and of course the gun has to have that to function. As a rule in my shop I don't remove any safety feature from any gun so I have no idea what someone might charge to try something like that. George
Old May 23, 1999, 03:10 PM   #3
Paul B.

Prichard. I have seen S$W's with the magazine safety removed. The Mesa AZ pd did that one their .40 calibers.
My suggestion? Don't do it. If you ever should have to use it in a confrontation, and the bad guy lives, his lawyer will crucify you, saying you removed safety devices which caused his client etc. as nauseum. I know of people who have done this, (pinned the safety on a 1911 .45 auto)
and faced first degree murder charges. I strongly dislike magazine safeties myself, but I have grandkids, and without the magazine they aren't as likely to have an accident. (I say not as likely because I trust no safety completely) I once had a WW2 issue Walther PPK that fired every time I applied the drop hammer safety. This has given me a strong distrust of safeties.
Frankly I'm a 1911 man, but I use the Smith because of the mag safety, (For my grandchildren) Gad's. I'm starting to sound like Hillary, quick! Wash my mouth outwith soap!
Seriously, I hope you got the message.
Paul B.
COMPROMISE IS NOT AN OPTION!
Old May 24, 1999, 01:50 AM   #4
Matt K

You will need a sight pusher or a punch and hammer.

By telling you this I assume no responsibility or liability should you mess up and hurt yourself. Attempt at your own risk.

Top view of gun, Drift sight off the slide. In the dovetail will be two spring loaded plunger things. Remove the left one and put sight back on. This will remove the mag safety and the gun SHOULD function as normal except fire when mag is removed.

You could have a smith do it but only takes about 5 minutes to do it yourself.

Matt

------------------
Matt's Custom Glock Resource - Because Stock Sucks!
http://home.talkcity.com/stadiumway/glockzilla/
Old May 24, 1999, 11:36 PM   #5
buzz riley

The plastic plunger is for the mag safety, the steel one is for the firing pin safety.
The FBI used to remove all the mag disconnect safeties from Smith & Wessons before issue. S & W used to remove them for P.D.'s if requested. You could probably find one of those guns out there. You can't miss them, the slide's laser engraved "Warning, this weapon is capable of firing with the magazine removed."
Mag safeties have their pros and cons. I can take them or leave them. I didn't mind it when my department used to carry S & W's.
BTW, there is a way to make them fire with the mag removed. If the trigger slack is kept rearward prior to mag removal, you can fire it with the mag out. We used to do it on the range all the time...NOT THAT I ENDORSE THIS PRACTICE. Just a tid bit of info.

------------------
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. Matthew 5:9