The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 24, 2016, 01:27 PM   #26
Reloadron

mikld:
Quote:
I too see many, many of the new reloader's posts "I only have Whammo primers, can I use them in my Doofus magnum?", or something like that. So, perhaps make this thread a stickie?
Yeah, that would be quite true. The first thing many of us tell the new reloader or hand loader is to work from good reliable published reloading data. So the new hand loader loading 223 working in strict accordance to the Hornady 9th Edition will be looking for WSR (Winchester Small Rifle). However, another new hand loader came across a Speer #12 manual and looking for CCI 400 or 450 depending on the powder they use. Up the street an impoverished new reloader only has his handed down copy of his grandfather's Lyman 45th Edition and he needs Remington 7 1/2 primers. All because we told them to go by the book.

Ron
Old November 24, 2016, 04:44 PM   #27
Jim Watson

Followup.

Well, the Remington 1 1/2 small pistol turned nasty.
They did ok with slightly higher velocity in my SA 9mm. I wasn't going to change the load for that.
But the next outing with my Colt, I had a couple of high primer type misfires in spite of an easier feel when seating them. Also a lot of extrusion and scraping of the indent.
So I went back to the range with the SA. No misfires and only some of the primer indents were extruded back and scraped off.

Next test will be a reduced load just over Minor and trials in other 9mms.
Old November 25, 2016, 07:39 AM   #28
rdtompki

Headed to the range in 3-1/2 hours. I'm going to load up our softest 9mm combination with our usual CCI 500 (versus the S&B I've been trying out). While I don't have time to use the chronograph during a practice session I'll get a good feel for the difference. Also, it's going to be gold this am at 0900 (42 degrees!!) and despite the convention N320 wisdom I would swear that very soft loads experience temperature sensitivity.
Old November 25, 2016, 04:16 PM   #29
Jim Watson

Test Your Ammo

Well, the Remington 1 1/2 SPP was 100% in two Springfields, a Glock, and a Plastic M&P after two misfires in the Colt. I will just relegate them to the SA MixMaster A. I cut the load to 3.6 gr of HP38 and got about the same velocity as 3.8 gr with the other six primers - now seven, S&B is pretty much the same as WW etc at 1019 fps.

The scary 9mm cases with the internal ledge, perhaps meant to prevent setback against the feed ramp, gave 1036 fps versus 1023 for the same load in Winchester brass which weighs 4.5 grains less.

Also, I was trying a local brand of bullet, 147 gr plated RN. They LOOK a lot like Xtreme plated. They shot well in the Colt but gave a couple of oval holes from MixMaster A the other day. And during the primer test today, gave at least three full profile keyholes. I was not changing targets between guns, so I don't know which or how many, but that makes at least two guns that will not stabilize them.
So I will shoot them up in the Colt which does well with them.