The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 29, 2014, 10:59 AM   #1
deerslayer303

Jonathon Browning Mountain rifle

There is one of these on the table at the gun show. It's Unfired looks very good, actually it's black powder eye candy. It's missing the rear barrel wedge. Looks as if it's 1 inch across the flats. Can anyone tell me about this thing.

Last edited by deerslayer303; November 29, 2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old November 29, 2014, 11:49 AM   #2
Pahoo

Excellent rifles !!!

Personally, I think these are very nice rifles and in the Pedersoli quality class. Obviously they are no longer made and years ago, when I couldn't afford one, I should have bought one. Depending on the price, I'd be talking to that dealer. These came out with options such as a presentation case and matching powder horn that most folks have left to be eaten by bugs. These are one of two M/L rifles that I'm still shopping for. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old November 29, 2014, 11:54 AM   #3
deerslayer303

Wow Pahoo, I really wish you wouldn't have told me that. I really respect your opinion on things as with alot of the other Vets here. OH BOY I think I may go broke today
Old November 29, 2014, 02:04 PM   #4
deerslayer303

Well its mine, This thing is a whole bunch of Awesome.
Old November 29, 2014, 02:13 PM   #5
Pahoo

Thanks !!!???

Quote:
Well, it's mine !!!
Sure, go ahead and rub it in !!! .....

Thanks and;
Be Safe !!!
Old November 29, 2014, 07:53 PM   #6
BirchOrr

Outstanding! Congrats on your purchase!

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old November 29, 2014, 09:47 PM   #7
bedbugbilly

Nice looking rifle! Congrats on your find . . . that's going to be a lot of fun for you! Of course we expect a range report! Have fun with it!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 29, 2014, 10:28 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Simple rifle with clean eye appealing lines. Who made them? Browning?
Old November 30, 2014, 12:07 AM   #9
deerslayer303

I'm not sure Gary, I'm still Researching it. The Single set trigger is really cool. push it forward to set it and pull it to fire. I have to figure out how to make the "set" trigger pull a little heavier. Because when she is set the trigger pull my be like 2 OUNCES . It has a really slow twist you can tell that by simply looking down the bore. The muzzle has a bevel to it, I think to help seat your patched ball. The bolster has a cool looking Rams horn on it.
Old November 30, 2014, 11:40 AM   #10
Pahoo

Browning ; My SWAG

Quote:
Who made them? Browning?
My understanding is that these were made by Browning, although I don't know who made the barrels and locks. These came out during the Traditional M/L Renaissance back in the late 70's and early 80's. There were a large number of manufacturers that decided to get in the game, in competition with TC. Most were very well made and that included Ithaca. At that time, Browning came out with this higher end rifle. It was a Lexis when most of us were cutting our teeth on Chevy's. As time progressed many companies started importing parts or complete rifles and then others just got out of the business. For now, I'm defaulting to Browning, all the way .....

Good catch and
Be Safe !!!
Old November 30, 2014, 11:52 AM   #11
mete

Most of those type rifles at that time were not of great quality .As I understand , the much higher quality [and price ] of the Browning resulted in poor sales so Browning stopped selling them.I don't remember who actually made them but they were very well made !!
When they no longer were made my friend saw two of them in a gunshop .The going price was much higher as shooters realized they were so well made [After the fact !!! ] But this dealer had no clue. Friend bought them at original price , sold one for double , kept the other !
Old November 30, 2014, 12:08 PM   #12
trigger643

I'm not sure who made the last rendering of the Mountain Rifle for Browning Arms in the '70s, '80s. I've never seen one first hand, but have been told they are fine shooters and very close to the originals.

Offered for comparison is my Jonathan Browning. It was made in Nauvoo in the 1840's by Browning at his shop and has been in my family since new. It appears he made everything in house except the lockwork, which is original to the rifle.

Last edited by trigger643; November 30, 2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old November 30, 2014, 01:11 PM   #13
JN01

That's a beauty. I love the patchbox, looks like a Pennsylvania long rifle style.
Do you shoot it?
Old November 30, 2014, 01:31 PM   #14
trigger643

It hasn't been shot in my life time. My father recalled it being shot at a family gathering back in the 1920's when he was a boy. It's missing its rear sight but is otherwise complete, uncleaned and unrestored. I wipe id down about once a year with CLP collectors and Steinway furniture care.

It's in .54 caliber and is more appropriately a "plains rifle" and yes, it does have PA/KY elements as well as Ohio in it's design.

It's fairly ornate for a rifle of the period, especially for Browning. When considering the original owner was a prominent citizen of Nauvoo at the time and preparing to migrate Westward, it's probable the embellishments were made at his request when the gun was ordered.
Old November 30, 2014, 06:39 PM   #15
deerslayer303

Very Nice Trigger Thank you for sharing that beauty!! So should I NOT fire this rifle? It may have been fired, not sure. I was told it hasn't been, sure looks that way. Or should I blast away?