The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 2, 2013, 05:05 PM   #1
TennJed

Taurus and Beretta Single Actions

I have lots of Ruger revolvers, both SA & DA, but have a hankering for a new 357 SA. I would like a case colored blued one. I saw a new Taurus ($419) and a Beretta ($600) and must say I was impressed with the finish and they felt like good quality guns while fondling them in the store.

What is the story with them. I have never really seen either mentioned on message boards. Anyone have one? Can I expect a long life out of either? Do they have good reputations?

I know Taurus sucks l, blah blah. If you don't have any info pertaining to their SAs please move along
Old February 2, 2013, 06:49 PM   #2
Lost Sheep

I didn't even know...

I didn't even know either maker offered single action revolvers at all.

There is only one way to find out. Buy one of each and compare.

Sorry I don't have a better answer, but I saw that there were no replies yet and I didn't want you to feel ignored.

Good luck,

Lost Sheep
Old February 2, 2013, 07:35 PM   #3
TennJed

Thanks, I didn't know they did either.
Old February 2, 2013, 08:30 PM   #4
lee n. field

Quote:
I have lots of Ruger revolvers, both SA & DA, but have a hankering for a new 357 SA. I would like a case colored blued one. I saw a new Taurus ($419) and a Beretta ($600) and must say I was impressed with the finish and they felt like good quality guns while fondling them in the store.
I don't think Taurus offered their single action revolver very long. A couple years around mid-decade, is my recollection. I believe it was called the "Gaucho".

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...egory=Revolver
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 3, 2013, 05:09 PM   #5
Ifishsum

I have a Taurus Gaucho SA in .45 colt, it shoots well and has a beautiful deep finish - better than most of the SAA repros I've seen (mine has real case-hardened frame and Sundance blue cyl/bbl). I did have to do a little tweaking with the base pin and release bolt, and ultimately replaced the base pin with a Belt Mountain pin which fixed the problem. (it was backing out and getting stuck when I fired the gun). Timing and lockup has always been rock solid, and it's been one of my favorite shooters.

AFAIK, both are pretty faithful modern reproductions of the original Colt design, except for the transfer bar safety. I think both use flat springs which will wear out sooner than coils, but they certainly add that authentic feel. I believe the Beretta SAs are made by Uberti - they make some nice stuff but I wasn't convinced it is $200 better than the Taurus. I'm sure someone out there would disagree, but I've had good luck with Taurus handguns.
Old February 3, 2013, 06:29 PM   #6
g.willikers

The Beretta might be an Uberti, as it's the same company.
Uberti has made western style shootin' irons for a long time.
Old February 3, 2013, 07:52 PM   #7
royal barnes

I would go with the Beretta which is made in the Uberti factory. They are generally good guns and parts are readily available if something should go wrong. The Taurus is no longer made and quality was spotty. Good ones were fine and the others were not repairable by the factory for whatever reason. I remember Taurus refusing to accept them for warranty work toward the end of their production run.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:16 PM   #8
robhof

robhof

I have to add another vote for the Beretta. I don't own one, but have handled and fired a few and find them excellent, I do own a few Beretta autos and have had to have word done on one and their customer service was fantastic, they went the extra mile to insure I was satisfied, even calling me a few weeks after I got it back to see if I had fired it and was happy with the service. If it has the Beretta name on it, even if made by Uberti, they will take care of any problems.
Old February 3, 2013, 10:33 PM   #9
Wheel-Gunner

Have a Taurus Gaucho 357. It's been back to the Taurus factory for warranty work.... Decent gun, but not sure I would personally buy another, unless it was very inexpensive.

No experience with the Uberti/Stampede's.