The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old April 3, 2010, 10:09 AM   #1
Dragon55

Really??

Bolding below mine. I swear the anti's try to chip away every chance they get. I understand that the likelihood of ballistics testing spreading is highly unlikely but it just amazes me what is attempted.

Next Challenge to Gun Laws Headed to D.C. Circuit

David Ingram
The National Law Journal
April 05, 2010

A federal appeals court in Washington, D.C., will have the chance to examine the latest version of the District of Columbia's gun restrictions, in a possible test of how to apply the U.S. Supreme Court's 2008 decision in D.C. v. Heller.

Lawyers for Dick Heller, a name party in the earlier case, filed a notice Thursday that they will continue fighting in this follow-up case. They are appealing to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit to reverse a March 26 decision by U.S. District Judge Ricardo Urbina. That ruling upheld new restrictions the D.C. Council passed in the wake of the 2008 decision. For example, all handguns must be submitted to D.C. police for a ballistics identification process.

Stephen Halbrook, a lawyer for Heller, said a week ago that an appeal of Urbina’s decision was likely because, he said, the judge was overly deferential toward the city. Lawyers for the District say the council worked to strike a balance between Second Amendment rights and public safety concerns.

The original Heller case, then known as Parker v. D.C., also went through the D.C. Circuit. In a March 2007 decision, Senior Judge Laurence Silberman wrote that Heller had standing to challenge the District’s gun laws and that the laws in place at the time were unconstitutional. Heller, of course, won before the Supreme Court in a decision that said the Second Amendment protects an individual right to bear arms.

This article first appeared on The BLT: The Blog of Legal Times.
Old April 3, 2010, 10:54 AM   #2
Sefner

Pfft they used ballistics in The Dark Knight to get Joker's fingerprints off of the already fired round, of course it should work! Seriously though, if this is what the anti's are reduced to, I would say that we are winning
Old April 3, 2010, 02:56 PM   #3
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Seriously though, if this is what the anti's are reduced to, I would say that we are winning
American civil rights would, indeed, be winning, except it's never very difficult for the leftist extremists to find a tame judge to rule against civil rights.
Old April 3, 2010, 04:35 PM   #4
Webleymkv

Looks like D.C. will have to be drug around every corner kicking and screaming until they find out just exactly how far they can regulate 2A without running afoul of the Constitution. I forsee a very long and expensive learning curve.
Old April 3, 2010, 04:43 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Already being discussed here: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404341

Closed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread