The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Do you top off your EDC magazine??
Yes 96 74.42%
No 32 24.81%
I Don't Carry 1 0.78%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 2, 2009, 07:46 AM   #26
scottaschultz

Springs wear out from repeated compression/decompression cycles, NOT from being compressed and staying that way.

Scott
Old August 2, 2009, 09:52 PM   #27
FM12

Not worth it to me, too much hassle and handeling involved.
Old August 3, 2009, 09:02 AM   #28
NightSight

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottaschultz
Springs wear out from repeated compression/decompression cycles, NOT from being compressed and staying that way.
If you don't port load your handgun, which I imagine you don't, then you are subjecting your magazine to a compression/decompression cycle when you un-chamber a round for practice and then re-chamber for carry. This is especially true if you unload your magazine to make sure that you don't chamber the same round every time.

So, the question becomes, does compression/decompression cycles in combination with carrying a magazine in a maximum compression position wear out your springs faster.

I personally take the round out of the chamber and place it back in the magazine so I know where it's at when I practice or dry fire or whatever. The last thing that I want is to lose track of an HD round. That's the reason why I don't top off. I was just curious as to the SOP for everyone else.
Old August 3, 2009, 09:24 AM   #29
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
I personally take the round out of the chamber and place it back in the magazine so I know where it's at when I practice or dry fire or whatever. The last thing that I want is to lose track of an HD round. That's the reason why I don't top off. I was just curious as to the SOP for everyone else.
I've heard that doing that can result in the bullet being seated progressively deeper and deeper, causing potentially dangerous pressures.

Perhaps cycling through a whole box might be better.
Old August 3, 2009, 09:38 AM   #30
ECHOONE

Why do people constantly insist in thinking that by keeping there magazines loaded it weakens the springs???????? IT doesn't!!!!!Keeping them fully loaded has the same effect as keeping them unloaded! What weakens the springs of a magazine is the act of working the spring,loading and unloading the magazine!!!!!!! Hope that clears things up
Old August 3, 2009, 10:19 AM   #31
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Why do people constantly insist in thinking that by keeping there magazines loaded it weakens the springs???????? IT doesn't!!!!!Keeping them fully loaded has the same effect as keeping them unloaded! What weakens the springs of a magazine is the act of working the spring,loading and unloading the magazine!!!!!!! Hope that clears things up
I had a friend who was a Lt. Col. in the Army and who had a Model 1911. He kept the magazines empty, and when I suggested that he keep one loaded, he said it would weaken the springs.

I labored under that misconception for decades, alternating loaded magazines for my S&W Model 39--and I have an engineering degree.

I also remember people saying that the springs on old cars that had not been driven very much might weaken from having not been used.
Old August 3, 2009, 11:27 AM   #32
NavyLT

I voted yes because that was the most accurate answer. I carry a Taurus PT-145 with 10 in the mag and one in the chamber. However, the Taurus has an extractor that pivots on a pin so the way I load it is:

1. Drop one in the chamber.
2. Ride the slide forward with enough force for the extractor to hop over the rim of the round.
3. Pull the slide back enough to ensure the extractor is pulling the round from the chamber.
4. Push the slide into full battery, double checking by verifying the back of the slide is flush with the top of the frame.
5. Insert full magazine, double checking to verify full insertion of the magazine due to the extra force required by the top round being pressed against the closed slide.
6. Engage safety and holster.

I know the argument about breaking the extractor this way.

I've done this at least a hundred times with my practice ammo at the range as well and the gun has always gone bang. If I can carry one more round without changing anything other than the weight of one round, why not?
Old August 4, 2009, 10:53 AM   #33
bikerbill

So NavyLT raises an interesting point ... maybe it's just an urban legend, like keeping yours mags loaded trashes the spring ... but I recall reading here that placing a round in the chamber and then dropping the slide can damage the extractor ... when I reload after cleaning, dryfire, whatever, I load the mag full, rack the slide to chamber the top round, on safe, then drop the mag and add a new round before returning the mag to its place. can anybody confirm or deny the extractor issue?
Old August 4, 2009, 02:51 PM   #34
NavyLT

I can deny it on my Taurus PT-145! It hasn't affected the extractor yet. Many people will say it will damage the extractor, but I have never seen anyone post that it HAS damaged an extractor.
Old August 4, 2009, 02:53 PM   #35
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

DROPPING the slide on a loaded round is different than gently riding the slide and pushing the extractor over the edge.

I still think it's easier to just insert the full mag, drop the slide and then drop the mag and top it off.
Old August 4, 2009, 02:56 PM   #36
NavyLT

I don't want to wear my magazine spring out by cycling it through compression cycles for that one round. ROFL!
Old August 4, 2009, 04:06 PM   #37
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

You got me there.
Old August 11, 2009, 02:21 AM   #38
Dannyl

Always have, always will

HI,
First, a quote from another post
"Always +1 with my semi autos, tried to do it with the revolvers but the round just wouldn't fit.

Thanks for a great laugh

As for topping up the mag, this is a habit I got into from the days when I was in the army, and have never seen a reason to change it.
My procedure is always to chamber a round from the mag, then drop it, add a round and re-insert the mag.

I also carry a spare mag on me, and a box of 20 rounds in my car.

Regarding the concern for mag springs wearing out from being compressed? I dont consider this a problem.
Again, in the army all your mags are always full except for when you empty them for inspection, (which takes a few minutes )and then fill them up again. or you are busy shooting. In civilian life, I have kept mags loaded for years (except when shooting them) and have never had problems with any of them (Browning HP, Glock 22, Colt 1911, S&W 4006, Whalter PPK .380, Berret 72, Berreta 92FS)

Cheers,
Danny

Last edited by Dannyl; August 11, 2009 at 02:30 AM. Reason: added a comment