The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old August 2, 2009, 06:03 PM   #51
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
I also want you to know that I support your rights to do what it is we do here.
And that is all I can ask I reckon!
BTW, I have had and will continue to offer a free of charge invitation to try this with us! I don't expect everyone to get hooked... In fact I had a fellow Mormon guy, SF sodier, multiple sand box deployments guy that went (after a hurricane, creeks still swollen) That loved it but conceded the swamps, spiders and snakes were a deterrent from trying it to often. I have taken many and a few more than once. The kids are invited but on night hunts I prefer over 12 for fear of losing a kid behind us... I have a New Zealand buddy who has had his kids in the woods in far more severe terrain since young. His dogs do not eat bag dog food and as a matter of fact, the dry goods like flour and sugar are his main purchases from the grocer. I bet his family NEVER buys meat from a store. He gets his sheep and beef from his rancher boss and pork is either yard raised or predominately the wild caught.
Brent
Old August 3, 2009, 01:55 AM   #52
Ian0351

I would very much take my kids (as soon as I have some, which shouldn't be too long) the hog hunt in the video... I feel that this breed of hunting is critically important to the preservation of sport, in both substance and spirit. I feel it is very important for us as men to be connected to the visceral roots of our existence. Just because we happen to live in 2009 doesn't mean we shouldn't embrace the will and determination that defines our species as the top of the chain. Fishing, hunting, wrassling, and fighting are at least some of the factors that have led to humanity being a definitive force in earth history; if not the defining forces thereof.

Semper Fidelis
Old August 3, 2009, 02:06 AM   #53
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Ian, You would like our local method... I don't own a 4 wheeler cuz it would be a rare trip i could use it...
We walk the dogs through barbed wire (bobbed war in some locales) fences and turn them loose. I rarely will see open land until back tot he pasture where the trucks are parked. If we do hit open land, it is not until crossing a neighboring owner's fence and we are after our dogs and hog if bayed up.
Wheez reel rustech hear!
Brent
Old August 3, 2009, 03:29 AM   #54
butta9999

Hogdogs thats how we do it here too mate.. Stick them on site and leave the dirty things to rot. That first pig was a thumper too. nice tusks as well.

Good vid..
Old August 3, 2009, 10:51 AM   #55
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Sorta off-topic rant, but germane: What's with all this reality-avoidance? Sure, the video isn't for showing during dinnertime when gathered around the table, but it's part of the real world of hunting.

Used to be, we had undertakers*. Then they got called funeral directors--and now, grief management counsellors. People don't die; they now pass away. We don't have grave diggers; we have grounds maintenance employees. We don't have garbage-men; we have sanitary engineers. And on and on. Euphemisms to avoid reality.

How do people ever learn about the real world, if "BTDT folks" don't show reality from time to time? And if people can't handle reality, what sort of society do you expect to have? (Rhetorical question; IMO too many folks DON'T cope with reality.)

Here, seems to me, since it's about the realities of our various forms of hunting, all that's needed for graphic pictures or videos is the simple alert: "Graphic".

Rant mode off. Continue.

Art

* A character on the old radio show, "FIbber McGee and Molly" was the unctuous-voiced "Digby O'Dell, the friendly undertaker". They joked about death and funerals. His exit line was always, "Well, I must be shovelling off."
Old August 3, 2009, 11:00 AM   #56
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Art, Thanks for that off topic (really on point considering some posts) "rant".
Glad to see the thread hadn't gotten locked when i seen you had posted.

Butta, I try to utilize the pigs if for no more than the dog food...
Brent
Old August 3, 2009, 04:33 PM   #57
shortwave

pns112500, only one person from Loiusianna I don`t care for. Thats my ex and I sent her packin back to Shreveport some years ago. You don`t want me to sick her on ya. Hey hogdogs, you ran into any of those pythons yet? I`ve had a few experiences with the cotton mouths but those pythons would be another story.
Old August 3, 2009, 04:35 PM   #58
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Not much chance of the pythons up here... I rather a 17 foot python than a broke tail 5 foot rattle snake!
Brent
Old August 3, 2009, 05:19 PM   #59
jon_in_wv

If Art says its cool, its cool with me. I see there is a LOT of lee way in the hunting forum when it comes to the "must pertain to firearms" rule. Personally, I don't care how you kill the pigs. Dogs hunt, its natural. Pit Bulls are like jacked up 4x4s though. Guys don't have them because they need them, but because they think it makes them look COOL. At least your getting a little use out of yours. It still seems a little cruel though. A swift bullet to the noggin seems a little more humane. To each his own.
Old August 3, 2009, 05:29 PM   #60
shortwave

Neither I suppose would be very fun. Don`t know if your familiar with Brahma Island(aka Diamondback capital of the South) on Lake Kissimmee but there`s some big D`backs on that island. Had a huge C`mouth try to get in my boat while I was netting at my shiner hole. Think the C`mouth has more of an attitude than the D`back. Also, before daylight one morning had the bow of my bass boat beached in the canal at Grape Hammock camp ground. Was checking boat out and heard a noise. Shined my flashlight towards bow of boat and there stood a nasty looking hog. He stared at me for a minute then started grazing down the canal. Glad he didn`t step out onto boat cause since I was next to the fish cleaning house and the gators usually fed on the fish carcasses, me and that hog would had done some hogdoggin without the dogs. From that time on I carried a pistol with me. PS. Thanks Art for not closing this down.
Old August 3, 2009, 07:00 PM   #61
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Pit Bulls are like jacked up 4x4s though. Guys don't have them because they need them, but because they think it makes them look COOL.
This is partially true... Starting about 1982 +/- the thug mentality young folks thought it would make up for their short comings. But the pitbull has always been a working dog breed. Yes a great part of their initial intent was the fighting pit. As with all working brreds, they often can handle cross training and the pit fit well with herding, catching, and stopping the free ranged cattle and swine of the pre barbed wire ranching days. Thus they made their way into modern capturing of feral live stock (wild hogs)... I personally own only one pure "pit" and she really isn't even a real pit as she is from 2 "blue pit" slate color parents and thus she is has some staffy.
My main 2 catch dogs are American Bulldog Pit cross sisters. far easier to handle on lead and less likelihood of battling dog aggression issues.
Quote:
It still seems a little cruel though.
Do you agree that a vital zone gun shot or arrow shot is humane?
If not why? If so... a miss is possible and the wound channel of a perfect hit has a finite maximum depending on caliber and bullet type or arrow head type. Granted a straight in stab is minimal but we swirl or at least make a wide lateral motion. In my method, I go in the armpit so no ribs or other bones hinder my blade's motion. I make a 7 inch wound channel that wipes out the heart, arteries and lungs as well as often the trach. It is far more positive than a rifle shot from 200 yards.
Is it "in yer face"? Heck yes but it is more... IN MY FACE!!! I hve done the stick and let go of the hog instantly and never has one made it 15 feet...
I hear far too often of blood trails described as drips.. picture mine as a gallon can of red paint with no lid poured over 10 feet trail. Now which is suffering more?
I do not mind your opinion nor intend to force you to change it. I do invite you to try it with us and after that you can have more info to base your opinion or change it... CAUTION... Many have been hooked in one hunt!
Quote:
A swift bullet to the noggin seems a little more humane. To each his own.
I agree.. so let's get everyone to only shoot game in the head no matter the distance, specie or firearm chosen....
Also, we carry no guns, not even in the truck. we do not nor will not intentionally trespass but if our dogs follow a hog onto property we are not fully entitled to enter, a gun raises the offense, if owner chooses to complain, from simple trespass to felonious armed trespass. Also, the real reason we do not carry the guns is we simply do not see the need.
Quote:
I see there is a LOT of lee way in the hunting forum when it comes to the "must pertain to firearms" rule.
Yes, in this section the content simply has to be hunting related.
Brent
Old August 3, 2009, 10:53 PM   #62
wyobohunter

I've neck shot deer and they were still alive but paralyzed when I got to them. That's why I always carry my K-Bar, easy to reach the arteries/heart from the base of the throat. They sure do gush and I tell ya what, best meat ever when they are completely drained like that. I don't intentionally go for the neck if I have a vitals shot but, I wish I could get a neck shot every time.
Old August 4, 2009, 04:18 PM   #63
jon_in_wv

Take a breath Brent, its ok. I wasn't attacking you. I just said it "SEEMS' a little cruel. Thats is a gut feeling, not a statement of what it is. Your taking my statements a LOT further than they were meant. If you look at them again, you failed to quote me when I said,

Quote:
Personally, I don't care how you kill the pigs. Dogs hunt, its natural
or
Quote:
At least your getting a little use out of yours
in reference to the Pits/dogs.
or
Quote:
To each his own
Put them in context man, not everyone is bashing you.
Old August 4, 2009, 08:28 PM   #64
FrontSight

That was epic!
Old August 4, 2009, 09:22 PM   #65
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Nuff fer now...
Closed Thread