The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 15, 2009, 03:11 PM   #1
Skofnung

Patina or No?

Would you be more apt to buy a reproduction three band Enfield rifle if the brass hardware was bright and shiny, or would you prefer a patina?

I'm planning on selling mine, and would like to know what the general consensus is before I haul it off to the funshow.
Old December 15, 2009, 05:57 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

I think most people will prefer an English made Parker-Hale and couldn't care if it was shiny or not. Brass is easily polished with Brasso or other media.
Old December 15, 2009, 06:27 PM   #3
oldwheat

....And easily "patina'ed" with Brass Black!
Old December 15, 2009, 07:03 PM   #4
Skofnung

This is a kit gun (Euroarms), and sadly, not a Parker Hale. The brass is shiny right now, but it would be a small matter to patina it. I guess I'll just leave it as is and see if it sells.

Thanks y'all.
Old December 15, 2009, 07:30 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Since it's Euroarms, leave it as is. Reenactors are interested in things like the removal of foreign marks ("Made in Italy" and other indications of recent production), changing the barrel bands to the correct Civil War era and not post-Civil War barrel bands (like those found on the Parker-Hales too) and having the correct inspector stamps on the wood stock.
Old December 15, 2009, 08:17 PM   #6
Tom2

I have an early P-H that is patinated on it's own from age on the brass. Not green, just dull. You would have to explain that any patina you applied was done on purpose, not from neglect, and in any case it would probably not sell for as much. People are wary of guns that have been "monkeyed with" to "improve authenticity" I would think. Well def. would not add value.
Old December 15, 2009, 11:35 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

The serious reenactor crowds insist on modifying the guns to Civil War standards. They'll pay more for it than a non-modified gun. I suspect most of us here are shooters & not reenactors.
Old December 16, 2009, 11:09 PM   #8
MUZZLESMOKE

When I go to gun shows, I like them polished. I also take a bore light. Just to make sure the inside looks as good. But thats me, each to their own. I keep my brass shined. I use MAAS metal polish. It is long lasting shine, don't get that green crap. The only place I have every seen it. Was Ft Carson.

SHOOT STRAIT
MUZZLESMOKE

"IF YOU SHOOT BP MAKE IT A PEDERSOLI Pennsylvania LONG RIFLE"