The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 5, 2018, 11:02 AM   #1
cornkolb

Antler drops

Hello all,recently i have been getting a couple nice buck on my trail cam and was woundering about when the buck start dropping antlers in south east pa. I think i remember the cold could have an affect and latetly its been pretty cold. I would love to find some of these antlers aspecially since they seem to be hanging around.
Old January 5, 2018, 11:07 AM   #2
briandg

shpuld be now.
Old January 5, 2018, 11:28 AM   #3
cornkolb

Antler drops

Hello all,i have been getting a couple nice buck on my trail camera lately and wanted to go looking for antler sheds.does any body know a rough time they start dropping in south east pa. I have some feed out against a tree that fell hopeing when the time comes to drop the tree will give them a nudge.thanks for any info
Old January 5, 2018, 11:32 AM   #4
Pahoo

You are correct; timing is important.

cornkolb
I believe the question is when do bucks start dropping "Sheds" ???

Not familiar with your neck of the woods, so suggest asking some of you local Shed Hunters. Around here, we start looking around the first of February. I usually wait till I hear from some hunters that go out, on a regular basis. It's more common to find one at a time. Our local Deer Classic devotes on day of auctioning off sheds and some really bring good money. Timing is important for if yo wait too long, they start getting chewed on. ....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; January 5, 2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old January 5, 2018, 11:32 AM   #5
buck460XVR

Stress and how healthy the buck was going into winter has much to do with the exact day/week the antlers on any individual buck drops. I've seen drops as early as the second week in January and seen bucks wearing antlers still in late February.
Old January 5, 2018, 11:42 AM   #6
cornkolb

Yes that is my question sorry . I have always looked for antlers while in the woods but never really went out just for them.guess i will keep an eye on the pics and let them tell me. I found a couple moose antler drops in maine before and they are alot easier to find haha
Old January 6, 2018, 12:32 AM   #7
bamaranger

geography

I've seen bucks carrying antlers as late as early March down here in 'bama, just to give you an idea of how different regions go. Over the years I've picked up quite a collection of sheds, from some very fresh ones with soft tissue still attached, to ones that have laid for at least a full season. The only pair I've got came from a deer v. car MVA, both antlers landed about 20 yds away on the embankment.

I find most of them scouting turkeys in spring, or during the actual season. A high percentage are near green food sources, either food plots or honeysuckle. My work had me marking boundary in Feb/March, and alot of the boundary line ran down fencerows. The fencerows had honeysuckle.

Somewhere I've recently seen a deer feeder that was configured in such a way that when a big buck stuck his head in the trough, there was a cord or wire lattice arrangement up above that would snag antlers. I'd check with local law about feeding, and I sure wouldn't want to entangle a buck and harm or kill him either.

There are also folks training dogs to recover sheds. I was working with one of my Labs, till a tragedy took him.
Old January 6, 2018, 12:36 PM   #8
doofus47

January in colorado
Old January 6, 2018, 01:10 PM   #9
jimbob86

We tend to find ours after the snow is gone .... usually March .... not saying they don't fall earlier, because the do ..... just can't see white on white.....

FWIW, we tend to find them where they jump fences or cross steep banked creeks.
Old January 9, 2018, 09:30 AM   #10
jersurf101

Mid January through March I have seen bucks shed from NC to Maryland. As suggested try looking around food sources or known crossings with thick vines or limbs around. An old barb wire fencemin n the woods that they cross under is a good spot. It's so thick here people train dogs to look for sheds. You are not going to find much just looking around the woods
Old January 10, 2018, 09:23 AM   #11
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersurf101 View Post
You are not going to find much just looking around the woods
I dunno....I found several last spring while hunting for morels. While my dog doesn't find sheds.....she is good at finding morels. Also found one nice 5pt beam while turkey hunting and gave it to the landowner. His son had the other side found while fixin' fence. Lots of folks use looking for sheds a good excuse for gettin' out in the woods when nuttin' else is gon' on. I use late winter and early spring for checkin' out new stands for next fall's bow season. Sometimes find sheds doin' that. Findin' a good one deep in public land gives me a place to focus on.
Old January 10, 2018, 09:02 PM   #12
jersurf101

I'm sorry, I meant to clarify I meant locally. In the northern hardwoods I have found a few sheds just walking around. I have a very nice shed from a secure government installat ion that I found just walking.

It is so thick here it is just not the case. Good luck and get some sheds!