The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 29, 2002, 02:03 AM   #1
Blackjackdeuce

choke

Ok, I pretty up to date with my shotguns, but there is one peice of it I that I have no idea what it is or how it works. Its the Choke. What exactly is the choke? And how does it work? What is its purpose other than being there? Also, this is another question, do they offer shotguns in gauges lower than ten?

thanks a million
Old July 29, 2002, 04:17 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Choke is a constriction at the muzzle that regulates the size of the pattern.More choke= tighter pattern(within limits), all else equal.Lots in the Archives on this...

Shotguns were made in larger gauges and used by commercial hunters about a century back. The largest resembled small M/L cannon, were fastened to a boat or punt and were called punt guns. Bores larger than 10 gauge were outlawed for waterfowling a while back, say 1910 or so.

There's a Russian 4 gauge auto being imported by someone, but nobody seems to know what it's for.

HTH....
Old July 29, 2002, 11:44 AM   #3
JimFromFL

See if the following URL from Remington helps. It sure helped me.

http://www.remington.com/whatsnew/br...ke/sgbct_3.htm