The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 9, 2015, 07:45 PM   #1
Shooter2675

1930's Browning A-5

Hello all,

I am wondering what you would consider the value of a Browning A-5 to be that I recently saw at a gun store. It has a serial number (in the 215xxx's) that places it being made in 1938. The gun is in good condition, with a very minor crack in the handguard. The handguard does match the receiver. The bore is in excellent shape and has a mirror finish. The gun itself has only small spots of light rust, particularly on a couple of screws and a little on the bottom of the receiver, but it could probably be wiped off with some gun oil. There is some engraving on the receiver.

The bolt is marked with a P.V. with an M above it with an asterisk looking this above the M. The same insignia is marked on the side of the receiver. The bolt's serial number matches the receiver.

The barrel's serial number is 186xxx.

How much do you think it is worth?
Old December 9, 2015, 07:54 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The markings are standard Liege proof marks, seen on every gun made in Belgium.

A non-matching barrel is (IMHO) a distinct strike against that gun, though it might work OK. The rust and the cracked foreend are also drawbacks, as is the caliber, since 16 gauge is not popular in the U.S., and the variety of factory loads is limited. I may be way off, but I wouldn't pay over $200 for that gun, strictly as a hunting gun and if I thought I could repair the crack. Let's see what others say.

Jim
Old December 9, 2015, 07:59 PM   #3
Shooter2675

I totally forgot to mention it was a 12 gauge. My apologies.

I would hardly call it rust, it is more like a slight discoloration, it is not really rust colored. When rubbed with gun oil a lot of it comes off. It also has a poly choke. I would be buying it for hunting purpose but also for collection purposes. The blueing is about 98%.
Old December 9, 2015, 08:03 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

My error on the gauge; I don't know where I got the 16 gauge. Old eyes playing tricks I guess. But do check the chamber; it might be made for 2 1/2 inch shells.

Jim
Old December 9, 2015, 08:07 PM   #5
Shooter2675

I am terrible sorry for another mistake I made: the barrel is appears to be matching. There is the same serial number as the receiver on the circular part that is attached to the barrel (that the tube goes through). That part seems to be one with the barrel and looks original. The silver colored part of the barrel that attaches to the receiver also has a serial number that matches the receiver. Any idea where to find the serial number on a barrel officially? I originally thought it did not match because on the underside of the barrel there are two 3 digit numbers that I thought were the serial number.

James - the barrel says 12 gauge shells 2-3/4 inch.

Last edited by Shooter2675; December 9, 2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old December 9, 2015, 08:35 PM   #6
lamarw

I bought a similar one about five years ago. The finish may not be as good as you describe your candidate, but mine had no rust and no cracks in the wood.

It is older than the one you mention and the serial number, 170373, indicates 1930. I paid $300.00. Mine does fire 2 & 3/4" shells. I think I bought it more for nostalgia since I have fired less than two boxes of birdshot. It is not for sale.
Old December 9, 2015, 08:39 PM   #7
Shooter2675

Like I said about the gun, the bluing is almost perfect but there is a tiny amount of rust. Not rust like you would see on a wrench left outside but more like a patina. It's not really a rust color, more like the color of an old gun. It's like a dull medium shade of brown. How much would you pay for it as a collector/hunting gun?

I can try to put some pictures up tomorrow when I check it out again.
Old December 9, 2015, 08:51 PM   #8
Shooter2675

Not sure if this is of value: the barrel is ribbed and the grip has a round ball type knub. I was reading online and these things stood out.

Last edited by Shooter2675; December 9, 2015 at 08:59 PM.
Old December 10, 2015, 02:05 AM   #9
Scorch

A pre-war Auto-5 is still an Auto-5. That said, the generation that thought the Auto-5 was the best shotgun ever invented has pretty much died off, and prices for them have steadily drifted downwards over the past 20 years. I used to buy junkers for $200 back in the 80s and 90s and rebuild them, then sell them for $600-$800 to a local shop owner. In 1998, I bought a 90+% 1958 20 gauge vent rib Auto-5 for $450 and thought I had hit the jackpot. A couple of years ago, a customer of mine bought a 1968 Auto-5 NIB for $600. Just a few months ago, I bought a 60% 1926 plain barrel 12 gauge Auto-5 for $80 because the stock was cracked near the receiver (slide safety, I just couldn't resist). I see Auto-5s at all the pawn shops and used gun stores for $350-$400-ish. I only rise to the bait if it looks like a killer deal at that price, $300 is my limit.

Be careful, many of these older shotguns have been abused or neglected over the years and need repairs (the Auto-5 I bought for $80 needed about $150 worth of parts and about 2 hours of repairs). Although parts are available, you still need to know how or have a good gunsmith around who can make it sing again.

Just to give you an idea, a new handguard goes for about $180 from Browning, a new butt stock for about $250. You can find some used on eBay, but those may have the identical issue you are trying to fix (the split in the handguard is so common as to be called "the A5 split"). The rust on the metal is a deal-breaker for me, but if you really wanted the gun, offer $250 and point out the split in the handguard and the rust. You might end up going home with it.

Last edited by Scorch; December 10, 2015 at 02:11 AM.
Old December 10, 2015, 06:48 AM   #10
deerslayer303

Sou.ds like you are in love with it. So buy the thing.
Old December 10, 2015, 06:49 AM   #11
Shooter2675

Thank you for the help. The buttstock looked fine to me, it was just the handguard. I actually some handguard so for sale for $70 online.

Anyways, I could try to get some photos of it later today.

I found a photograph online to compare the gun to: https://gastatic.com/blog/wp-content...0118414135.jpg

The gun I looked at is most like the one of the far right, with the blueing being nice and the only patina/light rust being on the underside of the receiver where the rubbed off silver part of the far right gun is.
Old December 10, 2015, 07:32 AM   #12
mxsailor803

I would love to see some pictures of that A-5. In my area of lower SC where I hunt, you can't find a Belguim for less than $500. Had a guy try to my dads SweetSixteen about 15 years ago for $1500. My dad turned it down as it was given to him in 1959 by my grandfather.
Old December 10, 2015, 03:24 PM   #13
Shooter2675

Well I looked around my area and online and could not find one in comparable condition for a comparable price. I bought it from cabelas. I would prefer not to disclose how much I spent.

I will put some pictures up shortly.
Old December 10, 2015, 05:06 PM   #14
Shooter2675

I tried to upload pictures to photobucket but it was not working right now. I will try again later.