The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 6, 2019, 01:13 AM   #1
BobWalters

Gun cleaning kits

So what’s everyone’s favorite “universal” gun cleaning kit? Year or two ago I bought a 62 piece universal kit from Walmart, Winchester brand, in a silver metal suitcase and idk if I got a dud or if it’s just generally like this, but mine is junk. The rods are cheap and break easy and the threads strip easy. The brass cleaning brushes are pretty cheap and junky. All the plastic patch loops break and bend easy. It’s just imo junk. I’m looking for recommendations of a legit good kit! Something that will actually hold up and do what it’s suppose to do. I’d love to get another like universal large kit that has all the bronze or nylon brushes, mops, rods, cleaning patch loops, etc etc in it in one big kit. Basically I want what I had only good quality this time. I’ve got from 22lr pistol up to 500 magnum revolver, 22lr rifle up to 45-70 rifle, and 410 up to 12ga shotgun so hence why I’d like to have another full kit cause I own and shoot lots of calibers. Also I have tons of cleaners, oils, and patches so that isn’t gonna be any kind of a need or perk or anything. I’m gonna say between handguns, rifles, and shotguns I have probably atleast 15 different calibers I’ll be cleaning.

I will say this kit is on my short list, but I’ve never seen it in person so idk if it’s worth the hefty price or not? https://www.amazon.com/Otis-Elite-Cl...earsearcher-20

Last edited by BobWalters; January 6, 2019 at 01:42 AM.
Old January 6, 2019, 04:54 PM   #2
RC20

Less kit than put together . Its really more in the stuff used and how to apply it.

A good rotation rod type. Doesn't matter what mfg, coated is my preference, glass are available.

I think mine is Gunslick but any like that are good enough.

Then its a brass jag and a nylon brush.

Why? I use Carbon Killer 2000 and I drizzle on the stuff to the nylon, 4 stokes, a dray patch (that comes out gooey) and about 4 runs and its a clean gun (I clean while hte barrel is warm form shooting) - on last dry patch and its done.

I also have Bore Tech Eliminator when I have a copper issue, it also does carbon decently so it can take layers out and off. Back to CK2k if its a bad carbon layer.
Old January 6, 2019, 06:36 PM   #3
k4swb

Go to Walmart and get one of the plastic fishing boxes that slide into the bigger box.
Start picking up the essentials and as you continue you will have a neat box with what you need and nothing else.

Forget the multi-piece rods and get a good handgun and a separate rifle rod, if needed.
Old January 6, 2019, 07:16 PM   #4
RC20

The swivel rods are one piece and is the way to go.

Handgun takes about the same (I havn't shifted my stuff over to it)

These days I carry my clenaing kit in a 2 lb nut jar. Oil, grease, the CK2K (Bore Tech comes whole if I need it but its rare) patches, the jag (so far all 30 caliber so just one but I do have a 270 spare as I shoot 270 once in a while). Spare nylon brush(s) or right caliber and thats it.

You could put a lid on it if you wanted.

I love it, my life is simplified and I can see easily what I do or do not have in it. .
Old January 6, 2019, 08:40 PM   #5
Doyle

I agree with the others. Put together your own based on what you actually need.
Old January 6, 2019, 09:29 PM   #6
LeverGunFan

If you want a quality universal gun kit, another option is the Pro-Shot Products kit, seen here. Add a good one piece rod or two and you'd have most everything that you need. They also have other kits with fewer bits and pieces.

I also created my own cleaning kit over the years with a lot of Pro-Shot products, they make quality equipment.
Old January 7, 2019, 10:54 AM   #7
Wag

My cleaning kit is a .50 cal ammo can with just the stuff I need. I take it to the range with me just in case I need it out there, too.

--Wag--
Old January 7, 2019, 11:46 AM   #8
BobWalters

Went to a couple of my LGS last few days. So far all I’ve found are kits or pro shot brand individual stuff. Still one more LGS I haven’t been to and I’m gonna make the 2.5 hour drive to bass pro sometime this month hopefully and see what they got.
Old January 9, 2019, 07:00 PM   #9
cw308

When you turn into a serious shooter you stay away from those gun kits and pick your own rods and chemicals , don't feel bad we all have those kits .
Old January 10, 2019, 12:13 PM   #10
BobWalters

I’ve never used a jag style cleaning attachment before. I’ve seen some, but never used them. I’ve only ever had loops. How exactly do the jag styles work?
Old January 10, 2019, 12:47 PM   #11
Doyle

Quote:
How exactly do the jag styles work?
In my opinion, much better than a loop. With a loop, you always have only part of the bore being cleaned. It takes multiple passes to even have a hope of hitting 100% of the barrel surface. With a jag you simply cut a small piece of cloth, add whatever chemical you want, put the jag point in the center, and push it through the barrel. You are always assured of 100% patch to barrel contact with every pass.
Old January 10, 2019, 03:47 PM   #12
gwpercle

I like the ones from Birchwood Casey , the ones with a rod and metal tips , loops and jags (plastic tips don't cut it) they make a handgun, rifle and shotgun kit that come in a plastic case with a snap closed lid/box. The cost is very reasonable and the rods are decent quality.
Also good to keep a pull through on hand , bore snake or an Otis flexible cable . The Otis kits are very well made and very compact .
Get both...some days you need a good rod...some days a quick pull through will do.
When using rods from the muzzle...get a little bore guide to keep the rod from wearing the muzzle/crown.
Gary