The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 28, 2018, 12:13 PM   #1
TXAZ

Defense Distributed 3D Gun libraries sold

Defense Distributed shipped out their library of (lawfully purchased) printable guns yesterday.
Curious if anyone purchased them and has a printer?
Or any plans to purchase of print.

Note that the federal judge's order that stepped in and stopped the free distribution of the plans did not stop the sale of the plans.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes

Last edited by TXAZ; September 28, 2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old September 28, 2018, 09:53 PM   #2
jag2

One of the local TV stations printed one. Fired at an indoor range with a very long string. Blew up. Nuff said.
Old September 30, 2018, 07:46 PM   #3
Andy Blozinski

Let's assume for a moment the 3-D printed gun worked flawlessly and with 100% safety. It's still a single shot .380 the size of a couple of bricks.
Old September 30, 2018, 09:57 PM   #4
TXAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
Let's assume for a moment the 3-D printed gun worked flawlessly and with 100% safety. It's still a single shot .380 the size of a couple of bricks.
You're only 10% correct, 3D plans also include:

10-22
AK 47
AR10
AR15
VZ58
Beretta 92FS
Sig 228
STI

and of course the "Liberator"

Old September 30, 2018, 11:46 PM   #5
dakota.potts

Quote:
10-22
AK 47
AR10
AR15
VZ58
Beretta 92FS
Sig 228
STI
If we're talking receivers, the bolded ones are very very bad ideas.
Old October 1, 2018, 12:22 AM   #6
Nickel Plated

You're not gonna get anything that resembles any of those guns with any of the 3D printers you're thinking of. And some of them you're not gonna get with any of the 3D printers that currently exist.
Old October 1, 2018, 09:59 AM   #7
Metal god

They are using powdered metal now in 3d printing but are laser welding rather then printing . As of 2 years ago the machines were like a million dollars but that will drop fast . They're likely only $500,000 now so 5 to 10 years we all can have one .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwFspzVGUF4

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 2, 2018, 09:24 AM   #8
Fishbed77

Quote:
They are using powdered metal now in 3d printing but are laser welding rather then printing . As of 2 years ago the machines were like a million dollars but that will drop fast . They're likely only $500,000 now so 5 to 10 years we all can have one .
But CNC milling machines are already cheaper than that and can actually produce safe and usable firearms.

The fuss about 3D printing of firearms has been invented by the media to generate artificial drama, demonize firearms, and sell advertising. Nothing more.
Old October 2, 2018, 10:19 AM   #9
Metal god

As much false hype that there is . I think the undetectable firearm is a real concern for homeland security . It really will only take one more step to figure out how to make them and they not blow up . My first thought would be wrap the barrel and chamber in carbon fiber . The issue there would seem the carbon fiber needs to be heated to set . The question would be is the polymer barrel able to withstand that heating process with out melting or losing it's spec ?

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 2, 2018, 12:09 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The fuss about 3D printing of firearms has been invented by the media to generate artificial drama, demonize firearms, and sell advertising. Nothing more.
You're leaving out the originators of the fuss. Various childishly foolish individuals doing the Utube/social media equivalent of thumbing their nose at the govt, chanting "neener, neener, I can make a gun you don't know about!!"

Quote:
I think the undetectable firearm is a real concern for homeland security . It really will only take one more step to figure out how to make them and they not blow up .
Undetectable anything is a concern for homeland security. As far as not blowing up? Already done, you just need to use material strong enough to withstand the pressure.

An intriguing fictional account can be found in the movie In The Line Of Fire, where the bad guy casts a non metal gun from resin. NOT 3D printed, cast in home made molds on the kitchen table.

The gun is double barrel, and fires what appears to be the .38 S&W round. However, the bad guy has to use conventional ammunition, which he gets past the metal detector by putting the 2 rounds inside a hollow "rabbit's foot" fob on his keyring (which does NOT go through the detector).

It is entirely plausible that the right resin could be strong enough, when thick enough (the movie gun was very "clunky" much thicker than metal would need to be) to survive multiple firing of a low pressure round like the .38S&W.

If I understood it right, the whole flap over the Defense Distributed gun wasn't over the gun itself but over the intellectual property (plans/printer code), its distribution, and court rulings concerned with that.
Old October 2, 2018, 12:53 PM   #11
Skans

Quote:
I think the undetectable firearm is a real concern for homeland security . It really will only take one more step to figure out how to make them and they not blow up . My first thought would be wrap the barrel and chamber in carbon fiber . The issue there would seem the carbon fiber needs to be heated to set . The question would be is the polymer barrel able to withstand that heating process with out melting or losing it's spec ?
Undetectable by whom? Certainly not TSA! If you leave a piece of paper in your pocket the machine will detect it, so this polymer brick of a gun is ridiculous.
Old October 2, 2018, 01:52 PM   #12
Metal god

It’s not worth going deep here but the big brick is only because it needs to be . Wrap the barrel in carbon fiber and the size may only be a third of its curent size . Seems some are excluding what new technology “may” bring to this .

TSA is not the only place homeland doesn’t want firearms .

Last edited by Metal god; October 2, 2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old October 2, 2018, 02:05 PM   #13
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans
If you leave a piece of paper in your pocket the machine will detect it,
If that's even close to true it's hella new technology... nothing even close enough to that to be mentioned was one the horizon when I worked for TSA...

and detecting "invisible" guns was a routine part of our training.

That "polymer brick of a gun" would presumably be carried in your carry-on bag, not on your person... and I've seen enough stuff that made it through to have no doubt that gun could make it.
Old October 2, 2018, 02:16 PM   #14
TXAZ

The real issue with printable guns is the ability of anyone with a 3D printer to make a weapon that is not controlled, registered, taxed or otherwise regulated by a central governmental authority. Not just felons, terrorist or mentally unstable persons. Anyone. It's a
Very little hoopla in gun friendly states, outrage in gun grabbing states.

In reality, there is a significantly greater threat with WMD's crossing loose borders into the US undetected than plastic guns. But politicians don't want to admit they can't control either.

Old October 2, 2018, 08:32 PM   #15
FrankenMauser

Quote:
The real issue with printable guns is the ability of anyone with a 3D printer to make a weapon that is not controlled, registered, taxed or otherwise regulated by a central governmental authority. Not just felons, terrorist or mentally unstable persons. Anyone.
I can do that with files and a hacksaw.
3D printers change nothing.
It just makes fantastic headlines and a great political talking point.

I own a 3D printer, and have prototyped quite a few gun parts with it. But, do you know how many of those parts were used in critical areas? Absolutely zero.
Short of $120,000+ powdered metal SLS machines and complicated post-production process (such as multi-stage heat-treating), 3D printed guns pose a greater threat to the operator than the intended target.
Old October 2, 2018, 09:39 PM   #16
TXAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
I can do that with files and a hacksaw.
3D printers change nothing.
It just makes fantastic headlines and a great political talking point.
And so can Pakistani gunsmiths in a day for $50 with hand tools.

But your Sir FrankenMauser, have ballistic, gun and fabrication skills the average (bad guy) couldn't spell.
And, at least for a few anti politicians, they're not letting this "molehill-into-a-mountain" crisis go to waste to raise emotional $$$$$.

Old October 3, 2018, 10:00 AM   #17
4V50 Gary
Staff

Even if you printed one out of plastic, it would be useful for a mould for investment casting. Just saying.