The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 22, 2015, 07:07 AM   #1
g.willikers

A tip on trigger control

This weeks shooting sports usa articles from the NRA has a tip on trigger control from the expert Brian Zins.
He says most of us are using the wrong technique for where we put our trigger finger on the trigger.
Check out the link for the explanation.
Verry interesting:
http://www.ssusa.org/articles/2015/1...CENSORED-=1015
Old October 22, 2015, 11:02 AM   #2
DaleA

FWIW-this story kind of supports what Brian Zins says in the article. I saw an older gent at the range shooting at about 30 feet with a laser mounted on a handgun and the red dot was all over the target.

I expected to see a terrible target but all the shots were grouped nicely in the center.

Talked to the guy and he was shooting with his son-in-law and using the sil's gun. He said he wasn't paying any attention to the laser at all. His technique was to squeeze the trigger when on target.

What I got out of it was stance, grip and steadiness are, of course, important but this guy was using good trigger control to make up for his deficiencies in these areas...seems like trigger control can trump other factors.
Old October 22, 2015, 05:47 PM   #3
45_auto

I don't believe he's saying that most of us are doing it wrong. Or are you only referring to "us" as other Bullseye shooters such as yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zins
And just keep in mind it is only one way, and not the only way but I have had pretty good results with it. Also, this is for a trigger with at least a little roll, which is my preference....

And remember this is an article on Bullseye shooting. If this were an article on free pistol or air pistol, it would be different.
I believe that Zins is smart enough to realize that a technique that works great for Bullseye competition for someone who has the talent to be National Pistol Champion TWELVE times possibly won't work quite as well for someone who is shooting a different discipline and/or practices far less and/or is far less skilled.

For example, it would appear that Max Michel (current IPSC Handgun Open World Champion (2014 XVII, USA) and the only five time winner of the Steel Challenge World Speed Shooting Championships (2014, 2013, 2009, 2007 and 2005) still uses the pad of the finger.

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/a...om-max-michel/

Quote:
The first pad on the tip of your trigger finger should be squarely on the trigger. Basic? You bet, but we all forget it from time to time.
Best you can do is try them all yourself and see which works the best.