The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 3, 2010, 09:02 PM   #1
noelf2

My Pedersoli 10ga sxs shotgun

from Cabela's will be here on Monday and I can't wait to test it out. I haven't seen many of the 10ga's online so will post some pics when I get it, if anyone's interested. Now, any others here have a 10ga? Do you use fg or ffg?
Old February 3, 2010, 09:57 PM   #2
Dave Cole

I bet that will wake up your shoulder.Ouch. They do look nice.Dave
Old February 4, 2010, 06:15 AM   #3
darkgael

BP

Pedersoli, IIRC, recommends FFg. at about three drams/85 grains with 1 1/4 oz. of shot.
At least, it's a place to start.
Pete
Old February 4, 2010, 08:33 AM   #4
Smokin .50

10 gauge bird load knocks em down!

I have the Pedersoli SxS in 10 Ga. I use 3Fg Goex (72 grains) along with 1.5 to 1 7/8 oz. of 7 1/2 shot. Nice tight pattern, doesn't kick much, and is very successful in harvesting pheasants as well as clay birds.

Some folks talk about reaming-out nipples for more spark--I just use the CCI Magnum #11's and with the same 3Fg I use for my .50 Trade Rifle load, everything just works! 72 grains of 3F works out to about 80 grains of 2F, so the pressure isn't a problem.

I use a .125 over-powder card from Circle-Fly, a lubed wonder-wad, as well as 11 gauge shot buffer and then the shot, and then 11 gauge over-shot cards. Don't just assume that your gun will take 10 gauge acc's, especially if it is the older one without the interchangeable chokes.

Good luck and make smoke!

Dave
Old February 4, 2010, 08:43 AM   #5
noelf2

Smokin - Mine is supposed to have the removable chokes and chrome lined bores. Glad I didn't buy wads already. Are your bores actually 11ga? Is that normal? Maybe they make the bores a bit smaller so that shotshell wads will fit..??

Now with this new snow strom getting ready to hit Virginny, I'll bet the UPS truck will be delayed in delivering. I hate waiting....
Old February 4, 2010, 05:25 PM   #6
Smokin .50

Check your choke size!

No, my gun isn't abnormal! It's just not "cylinder bore" on both sides. My left barrel is modified, and the right is cylinder or close to it.

Get your gun, figure-out what chokes you're going to use and then you'll know what size supplies to buy. Check-out the Circle-Fly web site and you'll see all of the "in-between" gauges that are made specifically for this purpose!

Use a micrometer or take your shotgun to the store with you for sizing-up what you need! This may be easier in person than through mail-order!

Dave
Old February 5, 2010, 06:05 PM   #7
noelf2

Thanks, good info! Didn't mean to give the impression that I thought your gun was abnoral... you using 11 gauge wads is what threw me off..
Old February 9, 2010, 11:27 AM   #8
H.W. French

Hello Radford!

Did It show up yet or are you guys still diggn' out? I've had my eye on pedersoli's 12ga. for some time and was about to pull the trigger when I learned of Troy's flintlock rifle workshop in Appomattox. So this year it will be that and a membership with the CLA instead of the fowling piece. Keep us posted. FWIW Radford is my alma mater. Maybe I'll stick around for Highlander Fest.
Old February 12, 2010, 12:35 PM   #9
noelf2

It arrived between storms. UPS did a good job, only one day late. It's a beauty!!! Can't wait to shoot it. I'll post some pics this weekend.

I have access to all the shot I want and have lots of powder already. Now, to get wads....
Old February 21, 2010, 10:31 PM   #10
noelf2

Finally got a chance to post some pics. Not professional but good enough. Already put musket nipples on. Got them from Possible Shop, along with some wads and a 10ga jag. Ready to go and shoot it now, just waiting for a bit more snow to melt.

Old February 22, 2010, 01:03 AM   #11
the rifleer

that's a good looking shotgun. I would absolutely love to show up to a skeet range with that... I can only imagine people's reactions.
Old March 28, 2010, 07:13 PM   #12
noelf2

Finally patterned the 10 gauge. After many different shot column configurations, I got a great pattern with the modified choke at 25 yards (2 foot diameter with very even shot distribution). The imp cyl choke was just a bit wider and fairly even shot distribution but not as good as the modified choke. I didn't try the xtra full choke yet. I plan to get a cylinder choke and a full choke from Pedersoli distributor in a couple weeks. I'm very happy with this shotgun. My final shot column consists of 90 grain Pyrodex RS, 2 lubed felt wads (from Possible Shop) for over powder, and enough shot to fill a powder measure at 100 grain level (more shot volume than powder volume in my case, and shot was #6 with high antimony), topped off with 1 lubed felt wad over the shot. My friends son patterned his Remington 870 12 gauge with 7 1/2 shot and the pattern wasn't as good as my muzzlestuffer. Now, to get a turkey.
Old April 5, 2010, 05:14 PM   #13
Rampant_Colt

Nice wood on that!

How's the recoil?
I shot a Pedersoli Kodiak .58 cal SxS 'Express Double' that didn't recoil as bad as i thought it would. The .72 cal Big-Bore looks interesting.. The 10ga is even bigger! LoL

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rifleer
that's a good looking shotgun. I would absolutely love to show up to a skeet range with that... I can only imagine people's reactions.
..and yeah, that'd be a hoot to show up on the trap or skeet range with and see the reactions of the Perazzi and Krieghoff shooters after the large column of smoke clears

Last edited by Rampant_Colt; April 5, 2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old April 6, 2010, 09:00 AM   #14
noelf2

The recoil is lighter than expected. My final loads had recoil similar to modern 12 gauge. I wasn't shooting any excessive loads though.