The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 25, 2007, 07:06 PM   #26
PeteQuad

The electronics are nice if you do a lot of talking at the range, but if you don't its not really worth it. The muffs go up to NRR 31 as far as I've seen, but to me anything 30 or 31 is sufficient. I have seen plugs that go up to NRR 33. The best would be to do both.
Old May 25, 2007, 08:55 PM   #27
Dave Haven

In my experience, the best combination is 33dB plugs and electronic muffs. You can hear conversation and have double protection from muzzle blast.
Old May 25, 2007, 09:12 PM   #28
JWT

I agree with those recommending the Peltor Ultimate 10. I've been using them for several months and am extremely satisfied. They are comfortable and do an excellent job. Reasonable price - paid $30.
Old May 26, 2007, 01:01 PM   #29
daddySEAL

Thank you all,
Yesterday I went to a local sporting goods chain (Academy)and bout one set of Peltor Ultimate 10s, AND 2 pair of Falcon CTA-05 electronic earmuffs(which were on sale for $68 !). I guess I showed up on the right day without knowing it.

Yes, I do converse a pretty good amount at the range, because I'm taking my fiance, daughter and my 3 sons....all one at a time to the ranges and teaching them (one-on-one) safe gun handling and shooting technique. So we talk back and forther during the instruction. When they all have learned well enough, I'll hopefully take them in groups(Wow...better get cracking on learning reloading...we'll be going thru ammo as a ferocious(expensive) rate...HaHa!

Interesting idea of 33dB plugs and Falcons, Dave Haven. I bnelieve that would be extra good.

thanks all!