The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 27, 2007, 08:54 PM   #1
GLP Standard

Safariland 6280 holster for beretta/...Taurus PT92?

At my work we carry Taurus PT92's ...strikingly similar to a Beretta. I know the Bianchi Accumold holsters designed for a Beretta will fit our Taurus's with a little bit of wear (According to a guy at work, theyre a little bit of a tight fit at first). I can imagine that the Bianchi Accumold holsters give a little bit more than the Safariland SLS holsters just due to the fact that the Accumold holsters are Nylon and the Safariland SLS holsters are hard plastic, which is where my question comes in...

Will a Taurus PT92 fit in a Safariland SLS holster made for a Beretta? If so, which model holster will I need to order for the Beretta? Heres the selection they have to choose from:
-Beretta 92 Brigadier FS
-Beretta 96 Brigadier
-Beretta 96 Brigadier G
-Beretta 92F, M9
-Beretta 92 FS, 92G, 96, 96G
-Beretta 92 FC, 92 FCM
-Beretta 92 FS Centurian
-Beretta 96 Centurian
-Beretta 92 D, DS, DM
-Beretta 96 D, DS, Brigadier D

Im thinking the Beretta 92F, M9 model will fit, since we're supposed to carry an "M9" at our work, but the company is too cheap so we carry a Taurus instead.

Im sure that most of these are probably the same thing as far as the holster design goes, but Im not too big on Berettas or Taurus's for that matter, so I dont know much about them. I just want to be sure that what Im buying will fit. I hate to do the whole shipping it back for a return thing and waiting 4 weeks to get your money.

Secondly, which holster do you guys prefer...the Safariland SLS design, or the Bianchi Accumold. Ive never used the Accumold, but I know theyre a very nice Nylon holster, but I used the SLS at my last job and I loved it.

EDIT: Also, does anyone know about this company?
www.copquest.com
Old February 28, 2007, 05:44 PM   #2
GLP Standard

No one can even give a good guess? Is the Taurus that unpopular?
Old March 7, 2007, 01:04 AM   #3
Link

Check out http://www.holsters.com.

That's Safariland's civilian website.

If that doesn't work, check out http://www.safariland.com/info/willfit/pistols_dg.pdf. That's they're "will it fit" chart that should tell you what will fit your PT92. BTW, it doesn't look like the 6280 will fit.

Also, I sent their support an email to find out whether or not their PT92 holsters will fit models with light rails. I'll post what I find out.

BTW, I love my PT92...
Old March 20, 2007, 07:16 PM   #4
GLP Standard

Just incase anyone is wondering...the 6280 model for a particular beretta will fit the Taurus PT92 with a tactical light rail. due to the differences in the decocking methods of the Beretta and the Taurus, the hood hits up against the hammer a little bit, making the opening of the hood a little difficult (not to the point where its a safety hazard, but it doesnt rotate freely like it should) but I grinded a little bit of it down where it was hitting to allow clearance for it, and it didnt interfere with the functionality of the holster at all.

Im not sure the exact model number, but I can get it incase anyone is interested. Holster works great otherwise, just like I had hoped
Old March 20, 2007, 09:13 PM   #5
liliysdad

Where do you work that you carry a Taurus as an issue, or even approved, gun?
Old March 21, 2007, 07:22 PM   #6
GLP Standard

^I work Security on an Auxilary Air Force Base in southern Arizona. It's all contracted civilians, and the company that owns the contract is too cheap to give us good equipment or good firearms. Even our AR's are cheap...

Not that the Taurus is completely terrible, but we're supposed to carry Beretta M9s and they opted for the Taurus PT92 just for a cheaper way out. This is why I bought my own duty gear and holster, and handcuffs, and flashlight...etc. Because the crap that they issue is GARBAGE!

My old holster that they issued was a cheap nylon $10-$15 universal POS. ...it began falling apart on me, and I definately wouldnt trust my life to it.

Dont worry, I wont be there too long. Its definately a stepping stone or a job for retirees, not a career. The only fun part about it is we patrol the desert and we get to catch UDA's once in a while.