The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 27, 2002, 07:13 AM   #1
Nodakmarine

Spanish made Sharps rifles???

I went to Gun City over in Bismarck, ND this last weekend and thought about buying an Armi San Marcos Sharps cavalry carbine in .45-70. Well, the dealer wanted $695 for that USED Sharps carbine and when I told him that the blue book price was more like $425 and that Kiessler Wholesale had an add in the Shotgun News for Sharps cavalry carbines for $450, he told me that they were probably made in Spain and refused to lower his price out of the upper atmosphere. I made a call to Kiesslers right there on the spot and found that they were made by IAB out of Italy but that still didn't change his mind about lowering the price to something more reasonable so I left without buying that carbine...that has been there over a year now. Wanna guess when I'll buy a gun there or advise anybody else to buy anything there either.
Anyways, his comments about Sharps rifles being Spanish made has me wondering if there is such an animal? As far as foreign makers of Sharps rifles, I can think of Pedersoli, Pietta, IAB and ASM which are all Italian made rifles. Are there any Sharps rifles made in Spain and if so, by who, who imported them and when? Me thinks he doesn't know what he's talking about (sure doesn't know how to price anything to move, THAT's for certain sure!) but I may be wrong or it might have been a long time ago that they were being made and imported. Anybody ever seen or heard of one of these "Spanish Sharps?"
Old June 28, 2002, 11:07 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

The only Sharps' rifles/carbines I call think of right now are Italian or USA made. Pedersoli, IAB, ASM as you mention are all Italian while originall Sharps, C. Sharps, Shiloh Sharps are American. BTW many of the companies that sell Sharps aere selling the Italian clones under different names (Taylors-IAB etc).
Old June 28, 2002, 11:45 AM   #3
Scarborough

Never heard of a Spanish repro Sharps. On a side note why not go across the river and see Bruce over at Marv's Hardware. Great prices, service and a pleasure to deal with. While there say Hi to my Marine buddy and tell him that CC is cheaper than he is... BUT not by much.