The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 7, 2007, 08:52 PM   #1
'75Scout

Help with boots

I am starting a police academy May 29th. I need to find a good pair of military style boots. I want a light weight, agile, breathable boot that is fairly water/scuff resistant. I originally wanted the Blackhawk Light Assault Boots. But almost every website I have tried to order from is sold out until mid/late June.

Just incase I can't find these anywhere does anyone have any experience with any good boots that meet my criteria? Anyone know about the Blackhawk Black Ops boots?
Old May 8, 2007, 12:02 AM   #2
50 shooter

Danner.

http://www.danner.com/home.do
No time for rearranging.
Old May 9, 2007, 08:38 AM   #3
Rinspeed

Danner but do not buy a pair unless they have stitchdown construction. It's foolish to buy a pair of boots that you can not replace the sole. I have a pair of Danner Strikers and their Rain Forest boot. The Strikers are the most comfortable I have ever worn but the soles are wearing fast and when they are done I will have to throw them out.
Old May 13, 2007, 01:01 AM   #4
River Rat 1969

Boots

'75 Scout, go with Danner boots; expensive, but in the long run, they hold up better, and will cost less than several pairs of cheaper boots.
Jim
Old May 13, 2007, 01:21 AM   #5
RedneckFur

My personal choice? Go with Nicks (www.nicksboots.com) They are custom made, and a bit on the pricey side, but you simply cant find a better work boot. Better doesnt exsist. I've had a pair for about a year now, and once i got them broke in, they are more comfortable than a pair of worn out sneakers, or sandals. I can walk all day in all sorts of rough terrain (I'm a forest technician and fire fighter) and my feet will be the only part of my body that isnt sore. Their customer service is excelent, and before building your boots, they will send you a pair to try on for fit. You call the boot maker while wearing the try on pair, and they will sort out any fitting issues you have while designing your pair. They have a life long customer in me.

I'd recomend the Hotshot or the Forester boot, in 10 inch height. Both are can be resoled, and can be rebuilt if you manage to wear the leather out. With care, and a few resolings, a pair of these boots can litteraly last as long as 10 years. I dont even think Danner can claim that. The 25V Hotshot boot is one of the few that have been chosen to climb Mt. Everest.

Last edited by RedneckFur; May 13, 2007 at 03:31 PM.