The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 23, 2019, 06:20 PM   #26
DaleA

Quote:
OK Superman, what is your solution for shooting flying pests inside a building without causing damage to the building? A 12 gauge is certainly out of the question for that application.
Reminds me of a humorous (well, you be the judge of that) story.

I was in a pistol league and we shot at a range that charitably "needed some work". We were shooting our rapid fire, center fire pistol course and all of us feeling very "salty" when a bat showed up down range and flitted in and about the targets. I and everybody else on the line had the same thought...There's no bleeping way I could EVER, in a million years, hit that thing.

But that was me and my friends. YMMV.
Good luck.

P.S. The bat, shortly thereafter, left of his own accord and uninjured. Probably was the smell (the gun powder, not us) that caused him/her to leave.
Old September 25, 2019, 08:10 AM   #27
Dranrab

The naysayers here have never had the pleasure of enjoying a good carpenter bee or dragonfly shoot to pass time. It is a genuine hoot I tell you, and you don't need a lot of real estate to pull it off. Savage did a run of smoothbores not too long ago and it seems like they sold well. Good on Henry for giving it a go. I hope they succeed. In a day and age where everything is tending to the tacticool, it's refreshing to see a manufacturer take a different path.
Old September 25, 2019, 09:06 AM   #28
kenny53

I think what happen was the final acceptance QC guy on Graveyard fell asleep and a bunch of rifles got past him/her (must be PC) without rifling. Now Henry is trying to figure out what to do with the guns. Buy them now they will be collector items.
Old September 29, 2019, 08:25 PM   #29
briandg

I don't understand all the criticism. At $300 it's not a ridiculously priced tool. It is a good tool to own. My father purchased and used a revolver with shot rounds for meadow voles that invaded his yard. I used a rifle with shot loads for the same thing, and also used a .38 with plastic bullets.

Sure, I'd buy one just for shooting grasshoppers in the backyard.

It wouldn't surprise me if they ran off a load of a thousand and left it at that. What does it take to make them? Change the stock and use an unrifled barrel. If they do sell off the initial run all they will have to do is set different wood into the machines again and buy another run of unrifled barrel blanks.
Old October 1, 2019, 11:31 AM   #30
Pathfinder45

What? Y'all don't have cats? I've got a couple of cats that are serious about their jobs. They only look lazy when they're lounging around, but underneath that disguise they are born killers.
Old October 1, 2019, 05:12 PM   #31
FrankenMauser

Quote:
What? Y'all don't have cats? I've got a couple of cats that are serious about their jobs. They only look lazy when they're lounging around, but underneath that disguise they are born killers.
For every good mouser, there are a dozen torturers and nurturers.
Unless a cat has a good example to learn from, they tend to just be torturers.
If they are a female that has had at least one litter of kittens, but no good hunting role model, there's a high chance of nurturing. (Catching the mouse, or coming across the victim of a torturer, and just licking them ...until the mouse/vole/mole/bird/rat/grasshopper dies or escapes.)
Old October 1, 2019, 10:34 PM   #32
briandg

A squirrel crawled down the water heater chimney and worked his way up from the basement into our dining room behind the piano, and among four cats, not a single one did anything but look at it. I had to beat it half to death with my grandfather's walking stick.
Old October 2, 2019, 10:43 AM   #33
Pathfinder45

Of course, using a "garden gun", allows you to be highly selective about potential, "pests". But you can't always be on duty like the cats can. On the other hand, I tell my cats that rats, mice and moles are fair game and praise them when they get them, but squirrels and birds are on my protected list and they are to be left alone by the cats. They don't always follow the rules, though.
Old October 2, 2019, 11:33 AM   #34
briandg

Seriously, the only time that I have managed to train a cat was if it already wanted to do it. The only way that you can teach a cat to sit is to wait until it is sitting, and pretend that it was following your instructions.

I have never seen a cat kill a squirrel. I watched one pound the living bejeezus out of one once, but that fuzzy tailed rat eventually reached a tree. For the most part, our area here is literally a single canopy for several square miles. A tree rat can take trees, powerlines, etc, and have escape avenues within ten to twenty feet at any second. This is why I think that a shotgun would be helpful. They can be extremely damaging to a house.
Old October 2, 2019, 12:13 PM   #35
Pathfinder45

.... but I like Squirrels...
Old October 3, 2019, 10:36 AM   #36
natman

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandg View Post
The only way that you can teach a cat to sit is to wait until it is sitting, and pretend that it was following your instructions.
I politely beg to differ. We taught our cat to sit before we fed him. We made it part of the feeding ritual. We'd say "Sit", he'd sit and we'd give him his food.

The unintended consequence was that whenever he wanted food, he'd walk up to one of us and sit, then expect to be fed.
Old October 3, 2019, 03:21 PM   #37
ThomasT

Quote:
The naysayers here have never had the pleasure of enjoying a good carpenter bee or dragonfly shoot to pass time. It is a genuine hoot I tell you, and you don't need a lot of real estate to pull it off. Savage did a run of smoothbores not too long ago and it seems like they sold well. Good on Henry for giving it a go. I hope they succeed. In a day and age where everything is tending to the tacticool, it's refreshing to see a manufacturer take a different path.
I had to look them up and see what all the noise was about. Neat little gun. I would never buy one because I don't have a need for one. But if I needed a gun for that purpose I would just load a light 410 with #12 shot (I have about 18 pounds of it left) or I would find a beater 22 in the pawn shop and smooth out the rifling and make my own smoothbore.

I have mentioned before I grew up working in my dads machine shop. We had an air compressor that had two 300 gallon tanks hooked together because we needed a strong supply of air. The air nozzles my dad owned were the old style with no restricktors in them like new air nozzles have. They would blow up a storm and really knocked chips off of finished parts.

The end of the nozzles were threaded so you could add a 1/4" stinger with a flair nut so you could get down in any recesses and blow them out. My dad had a stack of what he called steel fuel line. This was 1/4" steel tubing in about 10" lengths that was perfectly straight. It didn't take me long to have one of those "barrels" fitted to my air nozzle.

I had a 16oz coffee can full or steel Roto-Blast shot. This stuff is just a little smaller than #12 shot. I made a ram rod and used paper towels for a wad, then a load of shot and anothe wad of towel over the shot.

I would shoot dragon flies out of the back door. Flies out of the air and myself every once in a while if I forgot it was loaded. That sucker hurt too. Steel BBs were a perfect fit and shot as hard as a Daisy Red Rider. I had a LOT of fun with that gizmo and can see where one of the Henry guns would be a hoot to have on hand if you could find a cheap source of 22 shot loads.
Old October 3, 2019, 07:09 PM   #38
MTT TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by natman View Post
I politely beg to differ. We taught our cat to sit before we fed him. We made it part of the feeding ritual. We'd say "Sit", he'd sit and we'd give him his food.

The unintended consequence was that whenever he wanted food, he'd walk up to one of us and sit, then expect to be fed.
Safe money says that cat never sat when he wasn't hungry. That isn't so much teaching as it is grudging compliance. If the cat could figure out a way to take the food from your warm corpse his sitting days would be over.
Old October 4, 2019, 09:52 AM   #39
Lohman446

Quote:
OK Superman, what is your solution for shooting flying pests inside a building without causing damage to the building? A 12 gauge is certainly out of the question for that application.
My father used bird shot in a .44 Magnum for rats that had invaded the old farm house and basement one year when I was younger. Worked fine.

To me its a solution in search of a problem and I wouldn't run out and buy one. I hope they make them, I hope people want them, and I hope they sell them. Its not for me.
Old October 4, 2019, 12:01 PM   #40
Pathfinder45

And then there is the question of whether or not it is legal to discharge a firearm within a particular jurisdiction. Where I live, inside a certain urban-growth-boundary, it is not legal, but an air-rifle is.
Old October 4, 2019, 05:33 PM   #41
natman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTT TL View Post
Safe money says that cat never sat when he wasn't hungry. That isn't so much teaching as it is grudging compliance. If the cat could figure out a way to take the food from your warm corpse his sitting days would be over.
Well if you don't believe the sitting cat, you certainly won't believe that having learned my lesson about sitting, I trained the next pair to come when I whistled. I did it the same way you'd train a dog, I whistled when I fed them and they associated the sound with something good. It used to amuse the neighbors when I'd whistle and two cats would stop whatever they were doing and come running home.
Old October 4, 2019, 06:12 PM   #42
MTT TL

When we had cats they came running at the sound of the can opener. So sure a hungry, ferocious killer knows when it is time for dinner and will come running. A dog is different. A dog is teachable. It isn't always about the food.

You whistle for a cat and there is no food and they immediately start plotting your demise. Not that they didn't already have a plan...

Last edited by MTT TL; October 4, 2019 at 06:15 PM. Reason: ETA
Old October 30, 2019, 01:27 PM   #43
shurshot

I would guess that in areas where it is zoned as "Shotgun only" for hunting, pest control, etc., in a suburban backyard or woodlot, a .22 bullet out of a smoothbore barrel would still shoot accurately enough at short range to dispatch woodchucks, rabbits, crows, rats, skunks, opossum, gamebirds, feral cats, etc.
Years ago, about 30, in a town in Southern Maine, Gorham, right in the village (University of Southern Maine just up the street), someone used a .30-06 to take out a woodchuck. Didn't go over well!! Neighbors, the nearby school, library and police were NOT impressed.
Soon after, Gorham passed stricter town firearms ordinances and on the outskirts of town banned rifled arms for hunting, etc. As I used to live in and hunt that outlying area, farmland on the outskirts of town, I had to use a shotgun, hi-power air / pellet rifle or recurve bow, depending upon the game. If one lived in such are area, for small game hunting and or backyard pest control, I can definitely see a place for a .22 smoothbore.

Last edited by shurshot; October 30, 2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old November 8, 2019, 07:37 PM   #44
Gulfcowboy

Let me update my post. Tonight i used a combination of ccw #12 ratshot out of a old Winchester model 67 A to take care of a rat in my chicken coop. It did the job great . I wish I knew how to post the pictures up here. For some who live close to others in the city it works great. I can now see it has its place.
Old November 8, 2019, 08:25 PM   #45
BBarn

The old 22 smooth bore barrels with Routledge bores produce good patterns at distances up to about 15 yards when used with the crimped 22 shot shells.

Not sure about a regular (non-stepped) 22 cal smooth bores. Perhaps they work fairly well with the 22 cal plastic shot capsules.
Old November 9, 2019, 06:57 AM   #46
darkgael

When I was in the Boy Scouts and at summer camp - nearly 60 years ago - we were drilled on shooting using a bolt action .22 smoothbore. Don’t know who the manufacturer was. It had a stepped bore. It used the little .22 shotshell. You could hit a hand thrown clay with it if you were fast and lucky.
For shooting small things in a barn or a garage or a coop of some sort, nowadays, I would use Gamo’s break barrel Viper smoothbore .22. Buy a box of their little plastic shotshells (expensive at $8/25), some #12 shot and reload them as needed.

Last edited by darkgael; November 9, 2019 at 07:05 AM.
Old November 11, 2019, 12:53 AM   #47
bamaranger

smoothbore?

Doesn't the fact that it's a smoothbore place it in the SHOTGUN category?
Old November 19, 2019, 10:06 PM   #48
Dranrab

You don't know silly good fun until you try a dragonfly shoot with a gun like that.