The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 15, 2019, 08:27 PM   #1
Calfed

Sportered Smith Corona 03A3 range report

A few years ago I bought a sported SC 03A3 with the thought of converting it to a CMP vintage sniper match 03A4. I never really followed up on the plan, but a few days ago I took the SC out and shot it.

As you can see, the rifle has a Redfield rear sight and, interestingly, a 6 groove barrel. I pulled the #3 shot, but rifle grouped quite well at 100 yards with the target sight and Federal 150 gr Powrshok commercial ammo.

Old September 15, 2019, 09:34 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

Nice gun, nice group. It's not original, but it looks ok to me. If you like it how it is, why bother putting in the time and effort to change it around?

Maybe the next owner will get the fun project of trying to unsporterize it while you get the fun of shooting it just like it is.
Old September 15, 2019, 09:48 PM   #3
Calfed

Quote:
If you like it how it is, why bother putting in the time and effort to change it around?
I want to convert a rifle to 03A4 configuration to use in the CMP Vintage Sniper Match. Converting this one is a possibility. I also have a real 03A4 that has been sporterized which I'm considering using.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=603654

The issue with using the real 03A4 is that if I do the "un-sporterizing" correctly, I may not want to shoot it in the matches because of its value.

And then, I do have this one, that has been drilled and tapped, but would need a new barrel.