The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 23, 2014, 06:25 PM   #1
Powderman

Badlands Tactical--Excellent training!

I recently completed the Basic Precision Rifle (Sniper) Course offered by Badlands Tactical Training Facility, Grandfield, OK.
I’ve been through training…lots of it, and I have conducted training of my own. I won’t bore you with a bunch of “I Love Me” credentials; I’ll just say that I’m no pilgrim when it comes to shooting.
The course at Badlands exceeded my expectations in every way.
The primary course instructors (two of them) were professional, knowledgeable and personable. Frequently, you’ll attend training and talk to people who are very impressed with themselves and try to impress you with their achievements. Not these folks—they impress through their knowledge and performance.
How good is their instruction? I personally saw two novice shooters, who had no rifle experience at all, hitting 1000 yard targets by the end of the third day of instruction.
As for me, my confidence grew by quantum leaps as I learned how to calculate range, how to read the wind in a number of ways and how to determine proper windage. I made first round hits on steel targets out to 800 yards; the 900 and 1000 yard targets took a bit of work. It was very satisfying to see the splash on that 1000 yard target. (Yes—it took me about 6 shots to hit it at first—but I sure would have scared the devil out of something with those first five rounds!)
There is also one other factor that makes this the prime choice for training, and it is something that is not found in ANY of the other schools that I have attended. There is an actual sense of camaraderie and family. These people—the instructors AND their families—go out of their way to make you feel at home, and to make your stay a very pleasant and educational experience.
So, here it is, in black and white: There are plenty of “schools” where you can go to learn how to build hides, do stress shots, and shoot groups at targets out to 150-200 yards. These schools are all over the place.
However, if you want to learn how to SHOOT, and how to do so accurately; if you want to build your confidence in hitting targets on your first shot, and if you want to do it in a good atmosphere with people who know their stuff, go to Badlands Tactical. Give them a call at 580-585-1237.
Old November 18, 2014, 10:24 PM   #2
Nlight1

Boomer!
Old November 18, 2014, 11:33 PM   #3

Way back in 1976, I attended the British SAS Sniper School. One month of genuine Hell.

Shooting was the least of our worries. After you qualified in the shooting stage (3 days) the real "fun" began.

I lost 32 lbs. in 30 days.