The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 28, 2011, 10:34 AM   #1
Logan9885

300 wsm reloading troubles

I have a remington model 700 xcr 300wsm and have started reloading for it here recently. My trouble is every so often after I have a reload that will not chamber in my gun. Some chamber just fine and others just wont go. Its not an oal problem. Brass length is not a problem. All brass is the same and number of times fired the same. Its just blowing my mind. Any advice would help.
Old January 28, 2011, 11:00 AM   #2
PA-Joe

A lot of the 300 WSM seem to have very tight chambers. You read about about having to cam over the sizing die while sizing. This will set the shoulder back a little bit more. Do you have a way of measuring how much the shoulders have been set back and can you compare the ones that fit with the ones that don't fit? It also helps to use the same brand shellholder and dies. What I did was to use a 600 grit sandpaper on the top of a shellholder to remove about 0.001". That was enough to set the should back a little bit more.
Old January 28, 2011, 11:27 AM   #3
Logan9885

I use rcbs everything. I have no way to really measure the shoulder/shoulder angle other than a caliper and its hard to do. When you say sand the top you mean the very top of the shell holder where it touches the die right? and what do you think would make some cases work just fine and others not....softer brass??
Old January 28, 2011, 02:43 PM   #4
PA-Joe

Yes, sand the top, you mean the very top of the shell holder where it touches the die right. Correct. I think it has to do with there being a little bit of play in the linkages on the press. it could also be related to too much or too little lube on the case. Don't sand too much do a few wipes on the sand paper and then test.

There is a Hornady Headspace Gauge you can by. Some people on here have made their own gauges using washers or tubing. You need something that will sit about halfway up the shoulder and then you can use that to measure the shoulder length from the base of the case to the middle of the shoulder.
Old January 28, 2011, 03:23 PM   #5
SatCong

Logan,

I was experiencing similar woes with my model 12 Savage 300 WSM. I sent it home to be throated and became meticulous about removing the lube from the finished rounds using a wipe of denatured alcohol on a towel.
One, t'other, or both solved my probs, once I ensured my trim and crimp were both in spec.

Mike
Old January 29, 2011, 01:41 AM   #6
steve4102

How did you set up your FL sizing die? Do you have it screwed down as far as it can go causing the press to cam over?
Old January 30, 2011, 11:34 AM   #7
rogn

I assume you are FL sizing. Are you lubing the inside of case necks, the dreaded expander ball can stretch the shoulder forward if the drag is excesive, which gives a case thats a tad long in the shoulder. Also, are your powder charges compressed. Long bullets, compressed loads and weak neck tension can cause an occasional round to "grow" and cause the ogive to impinge before the bolt closes. Smoking the case shoulders and ogives can give you some idea of the oversized areas.
Old February 3, 2011, 10:53 PM   #8
Logan9885

Sanded the shell holder down and lubed the expander ball and shells chamber just like they should, no resistance at all. Thanks for all the help!!!!! and such a simple, easy fix!
Old February 3, 2011, 11:28 PM   #9
Nalgi

had the same problem with my wifes Mod. 7

it has very tight tolerances, while my Mod. 70 will shoot anything. Its in the case sizing. I mic-ed cases that fit and those that didnt. Cases that were over .53 diameter max. wouldn't fit while those under did. I played with the depth of the sizing die and that took care of the problem.
Old February 4, 2011, 05:44 PM   #10
langenc

You need to lube the case mouths INSIDE. When youmpull the expander ball out there is no lube and the neck is stretched.

To measure get a Wilson case gage and check each case after sizing and each cart after finished loading. The case gage is just a 'portable' rifle chamber. You can do the same with each case in the rifle-work it thru the action--BEFORE loading, but after sizing.
Old February 5, 2011, 03:00 PM   #11
bigbird34

Tight case

Your OAL may be correct but the bullet could still be hitting the lands,if you mark the bullet with a marker pen,and seat the cartridge in the chamber and then remove it from the chamber,you may see lands marks on the bullets,so you would need to push the bullet into the case just a tad more.

Also the cases must be measured and trimmed back to spec....they may feed but will jam in the lands and grooves when fired making it very difficult to eject the cases....last but not least your primers may be out a tad to much...adding to the OAL length of the cartridge..

If you put a piece of scotch tape over the primer of a loaded case,this will add .0025" to the OAL length of the cartridge ,it should be hard to chamber or will be very tight or snug,or will not chamber at all ....so if you have excessive head space this is a cheap test to determine that .....if you can still chamber the round with 3 seperate pieces of tape over the primer .0075" you would have excessive head space.

My 2 cents Jim