The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 17, 2009, 11:24 AM   #1
iceman4022

Quick Release Scope Mounts

I have a Remington Model 700 - 7 Mag and I use it interchangeably between deer hunting and hog hunting. Currently I have a scope on it that works just fine as long as there is ample light. Most of our hog hunting we do at night which presents a problem. I have a red dot scope also which would be perfect given the low light conditions we encounter in hog hunting. I am looking for a mount that I would be able to utilize to be able to switch back and forth between the two pretty quickly. I have seen other quick release scope mounts that would be great for the scope already on the rifle but would not help with the red dot mount. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old December 18, 2009, 11:07 AM   #2
ClarkEMyers

I wouldn't bother but.....

I wouldn't bother figuring for the money I'd come close a second firearm but if I had to do it as a stunt:

I'd get a Picatinny rail from George at EGW (not the 20 minute rail a conventional base) and use LaRue lever detach mounts for a 1" scope and a 30mm red dot. There are many ways to go that work short term for once in a while use - Weaver bases and Leupold QRW rings, again in 1" and 30mm and assorted heights - but for something I'd trust to always return to zero and to be rugged enough and to keep doing that on a daily basis for season after season I'd go LaRue and pay the money and for that money I could get a second firearm.
Old December 18, 2009, 11:35 AM   #3
sholling

By the time you go through the machinations necessary to do this right you could have just bought a second rifle. But yes it can be done. Warne makes an inexpensive quick detach system for hunting rifles although I'm not overly fond of their rings. I'd also plan (despite any claims) on rezeroing the scope after each each swap.

If you can swing it I'd just invest in a second rifle and a good low light scope. The way red dots work is they have a mirrored lens and an LED. The LED reflects back off the mirror as a dot. The problem is that unless it's a fairly high buck red dot that mirror will block some of the light making the view darker.
Old December 18, 2009, 11:55 AM   #4
iceman4022

I appreciate your responses. I am just checking to see what the possibilities are and if it is even worthwhile. I have seen a couple of mounts also that would permit me to mount both at the same time...but really...I am not going into battle...just trying to see if there is a way to make it easier. I would normally just go for iron sites with the scope mounted over, but the Remington 700s do not come with them. Thanks again and if anyone else comes across an inexpensive solution to this problem, please let me know.