The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 22, 2010, 05:33 PM   #1
highvel

.204 Case Life Expectancy

When reloading the .204 in a AR platform, about how many loadings can I expect out of my brass? I know there are numerous factors but would like an idea of what a normal count would be.
I load for accuracy and not speed, my loads are 25.1gr of Benchmark 40gr Nosler and Rem 7-1/2 primer with Winchester cases. So far I've loaded cases five times without seeing any problems, but I don't want to start either!
I am not set up to anneal the cases so that's out.
Will bullet tension get me into trouble before visual signs of head separation or neck cracks etc.?

Thanks for the info!

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old December 23, 2010, 04:11 PM   #2
troy_mclure

i dont know about ar platform, in my encore ive got some cases that have 8 loads on them. many of the loads show signs of pressure like popped primers.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."