The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 11, 2009, 09:51 AM   #1
musicman

Did it again

Took my bride to the gun shop yesterday and lo and behold she bought a .38 to keep at home when I'm not there! When we left I dropped by the Sportmnas Whse that is closing(again) and they had 2 BP revolvers left at 30% off. Now my Pieta 1851 navy has a playmate. An 1858 Uberti army. This one fits my hands much better and doesn't "gouge" my palm like the colt but I don't seem to shoot it as accurate either. Guess I just need more practice . $200 didn't seem too bad for this and the wife couldn't say too much, huh? John
Old April 11, 2009, 10:22 AM   #2
Hawg

That was a good buy but your gun shop's regular price of 260.00 is way too high. Cabela's regular price is 219.00. In fact right now the case hardened model with checkered grips is on sale for 219.00 also.
Old April 11, 2009, 10:24 AM   #3
Dingoboyx

Good one MM

Dun well

Practice makes perfect..... now, go shoot

I want a report on my desk in the morning (or after you shoot next, will do)
Old April 11, 2009, 10:45 AM   #4
CaptainCrossman

nice score- great price. There's no reason to pay ginned up prices for these guns. You did good.

Even $219 at Cabela's is too high. There's no reason for the common Colt pattern replicas, to be more than $200 new OTD. Especially considering the spotty hit-miss quality of the imported guns lately. They shot themselves in the foot with the soft steel on some of these guns- and the keep making these POS brass framed replicas.

I've been reading about quality on the net, and it's hilarious, someone buys a CB replica, states the 6 things that were wrong with it when they bought it, and all the out of spec dimensions, fixed it at their own expense/time, then say "overall it was a great gun and value"- and they paid $300 or more for it to start.

WHAT ?? since when is THAT a good deal ? There should be nothing wrong with the gun, and the price should not be more than $200- otherwise return it, don't buy it, and keep looking.
Old April 11, 2009, 10:52 AM   #5
Hawg

I miscalculated. Original price was 286.00.
Old April 11, 2009, 11:49 AM   #6
Indian Outlaw

$200 for a Uberti Remington is a steal. I paid $287 and considered that pretty good.

A Cabela's Pietta is a different animal, from my experience.
Old April 11, 2009, 12:21 PM   #7
Hawg

I need to go back to bed. I misread it. I thought he bought a Pietta. D'OH!
In that case 286 is prolly pretty close to what they're going for. Nothing wrong with Pietta tho. They're just as good as Uberti nowadays. Best bang for the buck out there.
Old April 11, 2009, 03:32 PM   #8
grymster2007

Well, you can complain that $200 is too much for a gun, but I'm amazed that anyone could make them for that cheap and stay in business. OTOH, I wish they'd just make 'em right in the first place and charge $300 or whatever it takes to do it right.
Old April 11, 2009, 04:26 PM   #9
Hawg

I've got two Pietta's and two Uberti's. I've had no problems with any of them. Anybody can make a lemon now and then. I think whenever somebody gets a bad one they scream it to all the corners of the earth but the actual numbers of bad ones is pretty small.
Old April 11, 2009, 04:38 PM   #10
Fingers McGee

Quote Hawg Haggan:
Quote:
I've got two Pietta's and two Uberti's. I've had no problems with any of them. Anybody can make a lemon now and then. I think whenever somebody gets a bad one they scream it to all the corners of the earth but the actual numbers of bad ones is pretty small.
+1. I've had a number of C&Bs from all the major players. I can count the number of bad ones I've gotten on one hand, and dont have near enough fingers & toes to count the rest.

No gun (or virtually none anyhow) is competition ready out of the box; especially C&Bs. I picked up a pair of Taylor Uberti 1861 Navies that were about the closest. Installed Treso nipples and used them for half dozen matches before I ever touched a screw on them. No failures to fire & no cap jams. When I tore them down to clean, i did the usual stoning to remove burrs & smooth the action; but they would have been fine if I hadn't.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old April 11, 2009, 06:04 PM   #11
Indian Outlaw

Pietta vs. Uberti

I spoke with Jay Strite from Ravens Roost Custom (www.ravensroostcustom.com) a couple of days ago. He says he prefers doing Remington conversions with Ubertis, but Ubertis have been hard to get lately. "Everyone's buying Piettas," he said, because more Piettas are being imported and they cost less.

I don't know guys ... I've been hearing people praise Pietta the past three years, but I haven't noticed much improvement. I've purchased three from Cabelas and have sent them all back. I bought a Pietta from Gander Mountain a little over a month ago -- hand picking, or so I thought, the best one -- but when I got it home I noticed that the brass triggerguard was a full 1/16" off center. (It doesn't sound like much until you see it firsthand.) Also the cylinder/barrel gap was excessive. Needless to say, I took it back. At Regimental Quartermaster in Gettysburg I handled a forged frame Uberti Remington Navy that blew away these Piettas. Am I just unlucky with Piettas? Maybe.
Old April 11, 2009, 06:11 PM   #12
mykeal

What does it mean: "the brass trigger guard was a full 1/16" off center"? Left? Right? Stuck out one side, but was undersize on the other? Or are you basing that on the location of the trigger or trigger slot?
Old April 11, 2009, 06:14 PM   #13
Indian Outlaw

The hole for the triggerguard screw was a full 1/16" off center. This caused the triggerguard to overhang the frame all the way down its length.
Old April 11, 2009, 06:46 PM   #14
mykeal

Ok, thanks.
Old April 11, 2009, 06:55 PM   #15
Hawg

[QUOTE] The hole for the triggerguard screw was a full 1/16" off center. This caused the triggerguard to overhang the frame all the way down its length./QUOTE]

And you didn't notice something that drastic while hand picking before you left the store?
Old April 12, 2009, 08:07 AM   #16
Indian Outlaw

No, and I'm ashamed that I didn't. I was looking more at other things, such as the timing of the bolt and the fit of the grips. Plus, the salesman was unhappy that I wanted to check them over first and was rushing me.
Old April 13, 2009, 01:44 PM   #17
arcticap

Virtually every gun made has some kind of flaw, even if the piece cost $1000 or $2000.
Of course some flaws are worse than others, and sometimes they can't even be detected until the gun is fired.
What if you bought an Uberti that looked like it was perfect only to find out that it shoots off by a foot to one side?
If the rest of the Pietta is relatively perfect then on a scale of 1 to 10 that's not too bad of a flaw.
However I sincerely do sympathize with your disappointment and don't blame you for wanting to return it, especially if it doesn't look or feel right.
It happened to me once years ago when I picked up a gun at Navy Arms, 2 states and a few hours drive away.
Examining the gun in a warehouse, I failed to see the huge gap in the wood inletting of the barrel channel. I ended up sending it back dismayed just like your are now because I failed to notice the flaw when I looked.
Sometimes flaws simply have the ability to remain invisible to the buyer.

Last edited by arcticap; April 13, 2009 at 02:02 PM.