The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 2, 2009, 12:02 PM   #1
neoHandGunner

Reflections of a neophyte

I've been reading the forums here for a couple of weeks and now I've decided to throw my two cents in. The bug has definitely bit me after a couple of trips to the range to begin learning about firearms, especially autoloader pistols.

On my first trip, I brought a brick of Remington Golden Bullet .22lr ammo and let the gentlemen at the range suggest a suitable weapon with which to begin practicing. Following a brief lesson in gun safety and demonstrating stances they rented me a Ruger Mark III and supplied me with some targets, safety goggles and ear protection, and I was off to the booth.

My instructor showed me how to operate the gun and, after watching me fire a magazine of rounds, left me to practice. That was great fun. I ended shooting the entire brick I brought that day.

I know the MK III is reputed to be a reliable .22 handgun, but I did experience numerous FTE's and FTF's. I am not sure if that is an aspect of the particular gun I was shooting, or if it was the ammo I was using, but I did not personally experience the level of reliability some others have enjoyed with that model.

I was anxious to try out a 9mm as that is the caliber weapon I plan to carry when I am sufficiently proficient at shooting and have obtained a CCW permit, so I went back to the range today. They rented me a Springfield XD. I enjoyed firing it. It had simple controls, manageable recoil for this neophyte, the trigger pull was crisp and everything worked as expected.

I can see that I am developing the flinch, however, so I am going to have to begin working on that. I guess I will rent a revolver next time and practice with snap-caps in a random chamber.

Shooting is a lot of fun, and I leave the range with a nice, relaxed sense of well-being. I guess concentration on targeting, handling a gun, and the sound and smell of gunpowder has that effect on me.
Old January 2, 2009, 12:14 PM   #2
chris in va

Yup, you're hooked.

BTW 22 will do that, pretty normal. Sometimes the primer doesn't get spun out in the rim well enough and you'll get a FTF 'click'. Some guns run better on different ammo however. My CZ Kadet will eat anything I throw into it.

And welcome to the board!
Old January 2, 2009, 12:20 PM   #3
Slasher42

As far as the Ruger MK3 having a lot of problems...
In my experience most ranges don't clean their rental guns until several renters complain about them or until they stop functioning completely.(This is just my personal experience from the ranges I visit)

As far as the flinch goes... With more practice and making a conscious effort to slow down and fire accurately that should go away with time... You can go the snap cap route if you want but I'd suggest doing it in an auto since if you do that in a revolver you can see the brightly colored snap cap rotating into the cylinder with your peripheral vision and it kind of defeats the purpose.

I think the Springfield XD would by a great first gun, they are extremely reliable and can be purchased in several configurations all for under $600. You might even find one used (if anyone ever gets rid of one) and there isn't much an owner could have done to screw it up. You might also look at used Ruger's and S&W 3rd gens they can easily be found for $275-340 on www.gunbroker.com and are all very well made reliable autos.

Just my .02 cents
Old January 2, 2009, 04:06 PM   #4
melchloboo2

Shooting at a poker-chip X-ring at 50 yards, one handed, is a zen-like experience/journey you might enjoy.

It's not for everyone, but here's where you can learn more:
www.bullseyepistol.com

Tags
.22lr , 9mm , beginner , range