The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 17, 2014, 10:07 AM   #1
Venom1956

Like advice and suggestions for multi pistol case

Hello all,

I've decided my life will be far easier with a new pistol case. So I am looking to you all for help and suggestions. I usually pack them in separate pistol rugs this works ok if I am just taking one or two but when I bring a new shooter out to try things its a huge pain.

My criteria:

Holds multiple pistols 4-8. I will either get two smaller ones or one large one.

Holds pistols securely not allowing them to move if the case shifts or is lifted by handle. This is a MUST I've had to much issue with pistols in a case knocking into each other. Thinking perhaps if they fit vertically in the case rather then on their side?

Hard poly case on the outside, my range is often wet, snow, mud, cold etc. Want to be able to set this down so I have a safe area to rest what is not in use. Something that can stand up to some abuse also while protecting inside. (weight, impact, etc.)

Good interior, I would like to be able to rinse out/ wash case if it becomes dirty with use. I would also like if it is the foam padded interior for it to be the good kind that doesn't break down or hold moisture. If I have to cut the inside to fit the guns being able to buy replacement foam would be nice. Longest pistols would be 13" OAL SRH and a 10" barrel buckmark. Some do have optics.

I know this won't be cheap and the only place I am gonna find good cases is online but I'd like to know where to start looking. With help and a little luck I should find something that works.

I will add anything else I think of if I remember it.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 17, 2014, 10:15 AM   #2
Grant D

When I take multiple pistols out to shoot, I carry them in a hard rifle case.
Works for me.
Old March 17, 2014, 10:24 AM   #3
rockinrandy

I was in the same boat and stumbled across this one: http://m.gandermountain.com/modperl/...-Case&i=450764 . It seems to be pretty well made and haven't noticed guns moving at all. And it fits your criteria while only being $20. There is also a spot for a small lock to fit in the outside. Just a thought
Old March 17, 2014, 11:05 AM   #4
thedudeabides

I just use a rifle case.
Old March 17, 2014, 11:32 AM   #5
pilpens

I just use a tool box with pistols in separate rugs. I think my craftsman tool box is a 24 inch with 2 latches.
Old March 17, 2014, 12:48 PM   #6
Big4Freedom

I haven't found any that are awesome yet. I can tell you what I like and don't though.

I load up several guns/ammo to take to my land to shoot each week and would really like something good. If I could mix my two bags, I'd be happy.

What I like a lot is my "doctor's bag" with 6 zipper rugs inside. I can take 4-6 guns in them with plenty of room for ammo/eyes/ears. The only problem with this case is it needs a shoulder strap. I'd prefer backpack style to throw over shoulder. It gets heavy all loaded up!

I bought the GPS handgunner backpack six weeks ago. It's the NRA pack without patch. I do NOT like it. It has lots of neato pockets for tiny stuff but gun compartment isn't large enough for standard-sized guns and above. Crazy!

My recommendation - Buy a heavy-duty, quality backpack and 4-6 zipper rugs for handguns. Get a backpack that has a small pocket or two outside of main area to accommodate eyes/ears/brass, one fairly big pocket large enough for ammo, and of course the large area for your zipper rugs.

Designers have gone fashion over function with some of these bags...
Old March 17, 2014, 12:48 PM   #7
aarondhgraham

If you have a case of any type,,,

If you have a case of any type,,,
Here is a company that will cut custom foam for it.

My brother used them to make a camera case.

But I agree with several of the posters here,,,
I use a small rifle case and can transport up to eight handguns.

I do leave them in their individual gun rugs though.

I've seen that 4-handgun case from Plano,,,
For the money it works very well,,,
A friend of mine has one.

It's not strong enough to sit on,,,
But it does keep his pistols encased.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old March 17, 2014, 01:02 PM   #8
Claude Clay

my ~20 year old Uncle Mikes range bag ( was $60 than) holds padded 4 - 6 hand guns plus I carry 2 on me. the ammo goes in a Craftsman's HD tool bag that come in small (14") and larger which I use for bench rest equip and spoting scope.

you may also look into the hard case Bullseye boxes. bulky, expensive ( i'll be listing mine with scope & magnetic strip for ~250 soon as I take pictures) new they are now +$300 plus the extras.

wow but has this sport gotten expensive!

Make a fire for a man and you warm him for the night
Light him on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life
Old March 17, 2014, 05:15 PM   #9
Venom1956

I've tried rifle cases nothing i have holds them firm enough for my tastes.

I am thinking i'll go with pelican.

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1450

Something like this perhaps.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 17, 2014, 09:03 PM   #10
Rembrandt

Did something similar, used aluminum Halliburton cases with ethafoam inserts. Easy to make and hold equipment firm and secure. Made them as double deckers, stacking one insert over another.

Old March 18, 2014, 01:08 PM   #11
Venom1956

See i like that remb. Thnx all for your help!
Old March 18, 2014, 07:04 PM   #12
Rembrandt

Here's another shot of the cases. Easy to make reliefs, simply draw around the item then use a 1/2" router bit in a drill press to make cuts. Ethafoam doesn't retain moisture or wear on finish. Been using these for over 20 years with happy results.

Old March 18, 2014, 07:10 PM   #13
Venom1956

remb is spooky how well our tastes coincide.
Old March 24, 2014, 01:44 PM   #14
Venom1956

what do you think of this one? my only concern is I would think the eggcrate on the top is open cell I would guess.

http://www.caseclub.com/4-revolver-accessory-case.htm
Old March 24, 2014, 02:12 PM   #15
Sevens

That's very fancy stuff, extremely good looking and I can see a lot of dough invested in such a setup... and a lot of bulky space for storage when not in use. Those are deal breakers for me.

I've been doing the same thing for nearly a decade now, and as my range trips tend to be 3 hours minimum, and usually closer to 5-7 hours in length, and almost always handgun only, I typically take a minimum of 6 handguns to the range on each trip... and often take more.

I use the simple five-dollar zippered pistol cases... slid in to an old-school leather laptop bag, from the era when laptop computers were larger, heavier, and had bulkier accessories. I don't have room for any extra tools, ammo or stuff, all of that goes in to a rolling Stanley toolbox made of plastic. But the beat-up leather laptop bag can EASILY take six handguns of normal or large(ish) size, and if there are some more compact or mid-size guns on the trip, creative packing can fit up to 9 of 'em.

I found my way to this end for the same reason you seem to be looking -- trying to place multiple handguns in a case with each other almost ALWAYS leads to them wanting to move enough to bump in to each other. No good, not acceptable. Thank god I only managed to scratch one handgun in years of that futility.

So spend that extreme money if it gets you where you want to be, you'll certainly have high quality. If, in the mean time you want to explore the route that has worked (outrageously!) well for me, I suggest a stop or two at some resale shops or Goodwill-type stores. These old laptop bags aren't nearly as easily found as they used to be, but they cost peanuts when you find them. The zippered pistol rugs go for no more than around $5 each when buying multiples of them. I use two different sizes, most of my handguns fit in to the smaller ones.
Old March 24, 2014, 03:44 PM   #16
Venom1956

That is usually what I normally do sevens. soft cases in a backpack. It does work no doubt. But at the my range it leaves alot to be desired. If theres alot of us that day stuff gets moved and slid around and generally hard to keep track of all of it. Packing up takes forever I just want something more encompassing. Also I had an issue last year where I needed to wash all my fabric cases before I could reuse them. It was quite a hassle. The fact that these can just be washed out would be really nice.

4 slots = four guns.
Safe place to store them when you're on the line.
Can be shut if weather is bad.
Hard case for when packed in the car with other peoples stuff. (I've had a full ammo can tip on my pack.)

I just hope if I get it it'll be worth the money.

This ones even pricier but I like the setup except it seems the guns could 'wiggle' alot in this one.

http://www.casecruzer.com/gun-cases/...gun-4pack.html

This ones the cheapest but I'm not sure if I like it

http://seahorsecases.com/Merchant2/m...Code=GUN_CASES

Last edited by Venom1956; March 24, 2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old March 27, 2014, 08:27 AM   #17
boondocker385

I use a safariland range bag and out the pistols in individual rugs. the Velcro in the bag holds them in place and the shell zippers shut. I use a separate one for ammo, hearing protection, etc. works for me.
Old March 27, 2014, 03:10 PM   #18
idnative1948

Used computer laptop backback has served me well and plenty of room.
Old March 29, 2018, 01:49 PM   #19
chrisintexas

Those using backpacks please post photos