The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 4, 2018, 05:41 PM   #1
Roamin_Wade

Commemorative Wood

Being a Savage Model 99 fan, I sought out and found a NIB 75th Anniversary model 1895 that I bought a few years ago. I didn’t intend to keep it NIB and quickly mounted a decent little Nikon Scope onto it with a one-piece Leupold Mount. The rifle has a brass butt stock with a deep radius to it. It’s in .308 and so this rifle will bruise me pretty good after a box of rounds. I decided to put a slip-on rubber shoulder pad onto it, having cut a piece of dense foam to fill in the radius between the brass and rubber slip on shoulder pad.

My question is, do you think the rubber will somehow leach the stain out of the wood after a while where the silhouette of the slip on rubber shoulder pad will be obvious in 20 years? It will mostly be in the dark safe except the couple of times I shoot it a year.
Old December 4, 2018, 07:05 PM   #2
Pathfinder45

I'm definitely in favor of slip-on recoil pads. I just leave them on my Winchester and have had no problems doing so. But, if you are worried about it, slip it off when you put your rifle away. Easy on; easy off.
Old December 5, 2018, 03:44 AM   #3
Scorch

Quote:
The rifle has a brass butt stock with a deep radius to it.
No, it doesn't. It has a brass butt plate with a deep radius (typically called a carbine butt plate, BTW).
Quote:
do you think the rubber will somehow leach the stain out of the wood after a while where the silhouette of the slip on rubber shoulder pad will be obvious in 20 years?
No, the rubber actually protects the finish from UV rays and keeps it from bleaching out over time. When you look at a rifle that had a slip-on recoil pad for a long time, you see the original color in the finish that was under the sli-on portion of the pad.
Quote:
if you are worried about it, slip it off when you put your rifle away.
They will usually rip after a few times of doing this. But they are cheap, you can get another one.
Old December 5, 2018, 02:49 PM   #4
Roamin_Wade

Hmm... Do you guys think a leather one would let the oil leach out?
Old December 9, 2018, 02:58 PM   #5
dgludwig

Quote:
The rifle has a brass butt stock with a deep radius to it.
I'm assuming it has a "crescent" style butt. This shape can be found on many vintage rifles and carbines. I think they look great but good looks can be mean to a shooter's shoulder. A slip-on recoil pad is a good idea but, whether it's made from rubber or leather, unless you're shooting the rifle regularly, I'd remove it before storing the rifle for any length of time.
Old December 10, 2018, 01:15 PM   #6
Scorch

Quote:
I'm assuming it has a "crescent" style butt
The 75th Anniversary Savage 99s had a carbine butt plate.
Old December 13, 2018, 05:19 PM   #7
dgludwig

Thanks for the clarification, Scorch. My "assumption" was based on the op's description of the butt on his rifle, which he said had a deep radius to it. I never bothered to research my Savage catalogs for verification.
Old December 14, 2018, 11:36 AM   #8
Roamin_Wade

Yes, "crescent" is the word I couldn't find when I made the post. My machinist background kicked in.