The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 22, 2018, 07:23 PM   #1
EEugene

Mfg. Date and Model # for Harrington & Richardson 32 Cal Revolver

I have an old Harrington & Richardson 32 Cal revolver that I would like to know the date of manufacture and model number, if any. Also, I would like recommendations on what type of current production ammo. I should use.
On the top rib of the 3-inch barrel is "Harrington & Richardson Arms Company. Worcester, Mass, U.S.A. Pat. Oct. 8, 1895". On the left side of the barrel is: "32 CAL S&W CTGE". This is a nickel-plated gun with a blued trigger anf guard. Serial number is 176973. 973 is stamped on the ejector end of the cylinder. Cylinder is 5-shot. Grips are two-peice black hard rubber with square targets inside circles on the top ends of both sides. It has no hammer. You have to open the gun like an old double-barrel shotgun to load it. Cylinder has an ejector for the shells that activates when the gun is opened. Thanks for helping me, if you can.
Old November 22, 2018, 08:29 PM   #2
Jim Watson

It doesn't have a model number, it is simply the Harrington and Richardson .32 Hammerless. If there is an internet listing of serial numbers, I can't find it.
The little gun cost $4.00 in 1901, $14.75 in 1939. It was not returned to production after WW II.
Caliber is as written right on the gun .32 Smith & Wesson. Sometimes (incorrectly) called .32 Short but not to be confused with .32 Short Colt. l
Old November 22, 2018, 10:25 PM   #3
TruthTellers

The cartridge chambering on the left side of the barrel indicates that it was made for smokeless powder, which means it was made after 1900. Five shot cylinder means it will only chamber the .32 S&W, not the .32 S&W Long. I have a 6 shot model with the chambering on the left of the barrel and it was made for .32 S&W Long.

So, since yours is for the shorter .32 S&W you can buy any .32 S&W ammo and it is safe to shoot. The lowest price .32 S&W ammo I know of is Magtech and given that these top break pocket pistols weren't built for accuracy, there's no reason to spend any more on ammo than what Magtech costs.

Here's a link to the ammo
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/16...ead-round-nose
Old November 24, 2018, 04:55 AM   #4
shurshot

I have one almost identical to yours, but it has an exposed hammer. It is known as the "Premier", made in the early 40's. I'm more accurate with my slingshot. Seriously!! Lol!
Old November 30, 2018, 12:20 PM   #5
EEugene

Mfg. Date for my Harrington&Richardson.

Thanks for all the great information. Can anyone narrow down the year of manufacture beyond "after 1900"?
Old November 30, 2018, 05:20 PM   #6
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEugene View Post
Thanks for all the great information. Can anyone narrow down the year of manufacture beyond "after 1900"?
And before 1940 if that helps. IIRC in 1940 H&R started adding a date code letter to the serial number.