The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 27, 2013, 11:02 PM   #1
Nageljo

New Ruger 22LR pistols

I have been eyeing one of the new Ruger 22/45 Lite pistols with the factory threaded barrels. I am assuming that they have the same reliabilty/issues as the MK I/II/III but I figured I would ask for some first hand experiences.

Thanks
Old January 28, 2013, 02:06 AM   #2
+1k ammo

I do not have one, but they looked good at the gun show where they were on display and have heard good things about them.

I was interested and probably would get one, but the threaded barrels are an issue (banned in my neck of the woods) so if it is ok where you live I would go ahead and get one.

I think they looked pretty good too, but others who have actually shot one should chime in.
Old January 29, 2013, 12:21 AM   #3
Nageljo

I have also been considering the M&P 22lr. I have a M&P in 9mm and love it. Is the 22lr roughly the same size or is it a smaller version?

Anyone have experience with them?
Old January 29, 2013, 05:12 PM   #4
flybuddy

I've had one for about a month now and have run a lot of rounds through it. Good feel, very consistent groups and almost never has any FTFs regardless of what ammo. I bought it because of all the good reviews I had seen on net, guess they were accurate.
Old January 29, 2013, 06:44 PM   #5
Niner4Tango

A suppressor would be fun!

Ruger MKI/II have issues?
Old January 29, 2013, 07:41 PM   #6
Venom1956

Ruger mk series of pistols are fantastic. You can't go wrong with one of them.

The M&P22 doesn't have much in common with the actual m&p pistols. I believe Umarex makes them. I wouldn't place them in the same league as a mk 2 or 3.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old January 30, 2013, 12:42 AM   #7
cal10

I heard that the M&P 22 was made by Walther for S&W, It's a great gun but I chose the Ruger SR22 because it was more compact and felt great at the LGS. I've got about 2500 rounds through it in less than a month, and can't stop going to the range with it. It's awesome, it also has double action which the M&P 22 doesn't have.
Old January 30, 2013, 12:42 AM   #8
tom234

Quote:
I have been eyeing one of the new Ruger 22/45 Lite pistols with the factory threaded barrels. I am assuming that they have the same reliabilty/issues as the MK I/II/III but I figured I would ask for some first hand experiences.
What relaibility issues ? I don't know of any and I have both a MKIII & 22/45
Old February 1, 2013, 12:50 AM   #9
Nageljo

I simply meant that I am assuming that they are reliable as all get out and are kind of a pain to re-assemble if you tear one down. I think they are about as bullet proof as it gets, I just didn't know if anything had changed since they changed to a poly lower half.
Old February 1, 2013, 12:53 AM   #10
JohnKSa
Staff

The MkIII series have a magazine safety which adds a hassle/difficulty factor to the disassembly/reassembly procedure.
Old February 1, 2013, 05:02 AM   #11
Pilot

You can still get a both steel framed Ruger (MK III) and a polymer framed (22/45). The MK III added a Loaded Chamber Indicator and magazine disconnect safety which many DO NOT LIKE, and remove with a few replacement parts.
Old February 1, 2013, 05:19 AM   #12
CajunBass

The Ruger MK series of pistols are a bit harder to strip down/reassemble than say a Glock or something like that, but it's not so complicated that a person with normal skills can't do it. It's just a matter of understanding what you have to do, following the directions, and getting the parts worn together (they are tight at first).

Read and understand the directions. Every step is important. If they say point up or down, magazine in, magazine out..it's important. You can't skip that. And when it tells you to use a rubber mallet...use a rubber mallet. They're not kidding. The parts fit together that tight at first. You will not hurt anything.

Two things I had trouble with at first that aren't clear in the directions, or at least I didn't catch them. Removing the upper from the lower. I don't think you really need to do this...gunscrubber is your friend...but if you want to, you smack the rear of the upper to remove it, the front to reset it. After a few times you probably won't have to. I have one old Standard that just falls apart when I pull the mainspring out.

And in the reassembley instructions, at one point, it says "Let the hammer fall forward" or something along those lines. Well none of mine ever "fell" anywhere. They had to be pushed. A pencil, or a thin screwdriver work fine.

If you're going to use Gunscrubber, and I recomend it, make sure you (1) remove the grips first. (2) And if you're working on a 22/45 with it's polymer frame, be sure you use "polymer safe" Gunscrubber. It will work on metal frame guns too, so that's the safe one to buy anyway.

Most of the time I just flush them with gunscrubber, run a patch or two through the bore, and clean what I can reach with a Q-tip. I don't disassemble at all. Then when I do, I don't go much futher than pulling the bolt and flushing. The only times I've ever pulled the uppers were with old guns I bought used.

You'll need to put a few drops of oil here and there on the internals, and give it a good wipedown afterward of course.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old February 1, 2013, 06:17 AM   #13
plateshooter

As for the Ruger Lite. We had a couple shooters in our NRA program last summer that had those guns. One was a woman who we could not convince to hold on to the pistol firmly and she couldn't get through one mag with out a malfunction.

The gun is so light that it needs a firm grip to let it function properly. Other than that, the gun was accurate, and when held properly, it functioned fine.
Old February 2, 2013, 09:04 PM   #14
9mmsnoopy

I have one and like it, its fun to shoot and accurate enough but it doesnt like bullets that are'nt copper coated at all, may not all be like that, but mine sure doesnt care for them. Otherwise its all good.
Bushmaster AR15
Old February 2, 2013, 11:00 PM   #15
GrailKnight

The only issue with Ruger Mk pistols is the take down being archaic.
Other then that every one I own functions flawlessly every single time
and actually shoot better dirty (my personal observation).
Old February 3, 2013, 12:01 AM   #16
CTS

I love my '69 Model Mark 1 target so much that I just bought another '54 model Mark 1 target. They are a little bit of a pain to tear down but after a few times it is like riding a bike. It becomes second nature.