The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 1, 2021, 06:50 PM   #1
Mr.RevolverGuy

Best Sporting, Target Shooting and Possible Self Defense Handgun: Episode2 S&W Mountain Gun 45 Colt

I truly do not want to start any arguments so I am changing the title.

How about the BEST Sporting, Target Shooting, Self Defense Handgun? Under time trials which one do I shoot best?

This is not about saying what is the best BUT what I do best with. Also challenging YOU to get out and try this and post your times.

Of these two which one for you 45Colt or 38Special?

45 Colt 625 Mountain Gun -- I was shocked that I did better with the heavier recoiling. Though a testament to how a handgun feels in your hand. The Mountain Gun with the larger grips just feel at home.

Of these two which would you choose?

45 Colt Video
https://youtu.be/b8QZ1Ay5ggo
Old March 1, 2021, 08:04 PM   #2
Moenie

LOL! You cannot claim one revolver as the best and not expect an argument.
Old March 1, 2021, 08:33 PM   #3
Mr.RevolverGuy

LOL I didn't claim the best the first title was horrible, I said which one will I do best with But you are surely right
Old March 1, 2021, 08:34 PM   #4
44caliberkid

I have a S&W Model 25, N frame, 45 ACP. I think it fits your title just as well.
Old March 1, 2021, 08:39 PM   #5
Mr.RevolverGuy

OOOh S&W model 625 I will have to see if I can borrow one of those and give it a try.
Old March 2, 2021, 01:46 AM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

So you think that the score/time difference was due to grips that fit your hand better? Or were there other factors too?

(I know you worked hard to boil this down to numbers so there's nothing subjective, but I just wondered what your take was. )
Old March 2, 2021, 04:01 AM   #7
Mr.RevolverGuy

JohnKSa

I do say it was fit to my hand here is why. I have had the 686 for a very long time and have shot it alot over the years. The Mountain Gun, this was only my second time firing it and now with me on the trigger I have put 30 rounds thru it which includes the rounds on the video. To me theoretically I should shoot way better with the 686 considering I have had much more practice with it over 12 years worth.

The biggest difference is grip, feel and CONFIDENCE. Meaning when holding the Mountain Gun my confidence goes way up with the way it FEELS, the balance etc.
Old March 2, 2021, 11:12 AM   #8
ThomasT

I would be perfectly fine with my model 15. It does all I need from a handgun.
Old March 2, 2021, 12:10 PM   #9
Jim Watson

I don't know what your actual courses of fire and target are but 72% vs 77% indicates a high degree of difficulty or a need for study and practice.
Old March 2, 2021, 12:26 PM   #10
pete2

I have not shot your course but I do have a 625JM(45APC), a 586 a 15, a 6" 19. All are good shooters, don't discount the 625, it may be the fastest for me too, if I don't have to draw from a holster. From a low ready, I don't know as I don't normally shoot this way.
Old March 2, 2021, 02:08 PM   #11
bamaranger

.45 Mtn

I came very close to answering an ad for a .45 Mtn quite a few years ago. The Mtn Gun concept really appealed to me, .... an N-frame pared down to conserve weight, and the .45 versions moved even more more metal away in cylinder and bore and should be, theoretically anyhow, even a bit lighter. Plus the .45 Colt was a low pressure cartridge and should function well with modest powder charges and heavy lead slugs. I'd bought a .44 Mtn when the guns first hit the market. Tooling up to load .45 Colt, another cartridge, for some reason seemed prohibitive, and I never called on that gun. Of course, I've regretted it ever since.

Ross Seyfried stated in print at some point, that a .45 Colt version of the Mtn Gun might be the perfect pairing. Glad you like and shoot yours well.
Old March 3, 2021, 07:09 PM   #12
Mr.RevolverGuy

It is one of the most balanced revolvers I have ever fired. Though I love the thought and idea behind it's creation many hate the looks. I say pick one up with the grips I have it actually feels better in my hand that a 1911.
Old March 5, 2021, 06:42 AM   #13
Scribe

,38!Special or .45 Long Colt.

Purely because I have more experience with it, I’d take .38 Special.
If given the choice an S&W Model 10 or 13, 4 inch barrel, Pachmyer Signatures, loaded with +P 125 grain semi jacketed flat point.
Old March 5, 2021, 02:27 PM   #14
T. O'Heir

A S&W M625 is just an "N" frame. Too big for normal sized hands. Changing the grips doesn't make the frame fit either.
The Mountain Gun is a lightweight version of the 625, with a shortened under lug and tapered 4" barrel. Same thing otherwise.
However, there is no "best" anything.
Old March 6, 2021, 01:11 AM   #15
bamaranger

differences

Yes, the Mtn Guns are N-frames. And yes, some Mtn guns are lighter then their classic N-frame counterparts. But many of the classic N-frames were made with contoured barrels, the M-27-28-57 were all made with lighter tapered tubes from the onset. The M-29 and 58 came with bull barrels, and the Mtn Guns are indeed lighter and trimmer than those models. While I'm contradicting the previous post, let me add that changing grips won't alter frame size, but it can have a huge effect on the feel and handling of the gun. Too, I don't think the ejector rod shroud on the Mtn Guns is any shorter than the shroud on the other N models so equipped.

There are other differences too. When the .44 model was introduced, it was the first N-frame to have a round butt. They came from the factory with the Pachmyer finger grooved Gripper style rubber grips. I think 'Smith eventually discontinued square butt N-frames and adopted the round butt in all the N-frames. One could still add a square butt grip if desired. I don't know what the new reintroduced "Classic" N-frames wear these days. The original Mtn Gun also had a slight chamfer/radius on the front edge of the cylinder, all others were square edged. Additionally, the original Mtn had a a standard, narrow hammer and trigger, the full dress M27-29 came with wider target hammers/triggers. The original .44 Mtn also came with black on black sights, no red insert up front or white outline rear. Too, the first .44 Mtns were only available in stainless.

All that added up to a N-frame .44 mag that had a decided different feel, balance and heft than the full dress M29.
Old March 6, 2021, 07:25 AM   #16
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
A S&W M625 is just an "N" frame. Too big for normal sized hands. Changing the grips doesn't make the frame fit either.
The Mountain Gun is a lightweight version of the 625, with a shortened under lug and tapered 4" barrel. Same thing otherwise.
However, there is no "best" anything.
See, I don’t get this myth of the large N frame. I’ve removed the grips from my K frames and N frames and overlaid them and measured them and they are identical. The relationship between the grip frame and trigger is the same. Only two factors make the difference in the feel, the grips and the added weight of the larger frame,barrel, and cylinder.
Old March 6, 2021, 03:13 PM   #17
Japle

I have a .45 Colt MG and a 3" 686+. I've carried both concealed and there really isn't much difference in comfort. I shoot them both equally well. But I wouldn't choose either as a target gun.
For hunting anything, the MG gets the nod. I have a full-wadcutter load that's excellent on small game and heavy stuff for big game.
For home defense, the MG also gets the nod, mainly because of blast and noise. I once fired a .357 out of a car window without ear protection and it's a religious experience, to say the least.
I doubt that anyone I shot would know the difference and I just like .45s.
Old March 7, 2021, 12:03 AM   #18
bamaranger

lighter

I don't have the numbers here in front of me, but my 4"/.44 MG was lighter than my issue 4" 686/.357, both weighed empty. Nobody carries an empty gun, but that gives some idea of how much lighter the MG's were to their big bore bull barreled counterparts.
Old March 7, 2021, 02:33 PM   #19
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
A S&W M625 is just an "N" frame. Too big for normal sized hands.
Define "normal sized" hands.

Then, once you give us your opinion of "normal" define your opinion of "too big".

I guarantee you there will be plenty of disagreement with your opinions.

I understand the OP's intentions, but I have to questions the validity of comparing .38 Special with .45 Colt, and using time as standard for comparison.
Old March 7, 2021, 06:55 PM   #20
Mr.RevolverGuy

44AMP,

Just a friendly competition for fun is all. Like many have said here you don't have to have a reason sometimes you just want another one.

Just a little fun.
Old March 8, 2021, 01:51 PM   #21
44 AMP
Staff

I get it, its just a fun thing to do to see what you get vs. what you get.

Just seems to me to be comparing how fast you can eat an apple compared to how fast you can eat an orange.

Have fun, and enjoy your fruits...