The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 23, 2021, 10:12 PM   #1
chris downs

corncob in the flash hole.

So I have some .45 acp cases that are primed, but I want some a little cleaner so into the corncob tumbler they go. Most of them now have a chunk of corncob in the flash hole. Sometimes I can rap it out, sometimes not.

Is there something I should do? Thanks.
Old February 23, 2021, 11:07 PM   #2
RC20

I have a Lyman 223 case trimmer that has a pin on the end that is perfect for that.

You just punch it out with something but that Lyman fits just right and the pin being small primer is easy to slip into a large primer pocket (have not tried small, probably a bit harder but workable).

I can't remember which mfg, but some of it has a different size media that does not get in as much but still some. Larger I think but....

My MO has been to just punch all the brass with the pin regardless as some can hide and its easier than trying to look each time.

Walnut I think is better but I find it does not do as good a job. I like my brass really shiny even though the gun does not care.
Old February 23, 2021, 11:33 PM   #3
lll Otto lll

Put the cases back in the tumbler and run it without any media for a few minutes.
Personally, I would just shoot them as is.
Old February 24, 2021, 12:13 AM   #4
jag2

In the future get 20-40 corn cob. It can still happen but very seldom. For now it’s just punch them out by hand.
Old February 24, 2021, 12:43 AM   #5
ericuda

What good would a pin do. The op states that the cases are already primed so no way to stick a decapping pin through flash hole.

Pop them on the bench a couple times and just load em up and shoot. A primer will blow through any little bit of cob. I wouldn't even look inside again until charged with powder.
Old February 24, 2021, 02:05 AM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Another vote for "just shoot 'em."

Personally, I tumble before decapping, but overall I think it's a non-issue.
Jeepaholic
Old February 24, 2021, 07:04 AM   #7
jetinteriorguy

If these are live primers, personally I wouldn’t put them back in the tumbler. Probably not a big deal, I just wouldn’t do it. Murphy’s law ya know.
Old February 24, 2021, 07:28 AM   #8
zeke

In the future, would never put primed cases into tumbler. What to do with the ones you have may depend on how many have corn cob stuck in the primers/holes?
Old February 24, 2021, 07:59 AM   #9
hounddawg

bet that corncob would turn to ash when that primer pops
Old February 24, 2021, 09:18 AM   #10
Bart B.

Pry and pick 'em out with a needle.
Old February 24, 2021, 09:27 AM   #11
chris downs

I did the pry with a needle part. That would clear some but not others. I will try the tumble for a short while without media. Any that still have corncob I'm going to separate, then load and fire some to check it out.
Old February 24, 2021, 09:37 AM   #12
Shadow9mm

this is why I use walnut. cleans faster, in my experience, does not get stuck in the flash hole...
Old February 24, 2021, 10:06 AM   #13
chris downs

I am almost out of cob media. I will get walnut next. Thanks.
Old February 24, 2021, 10:31 AM   #14
Unclenick
Staff

You can use a small drill bit to gently drill into and pull out the corncob. I would do it by hand with a pin vice holding the drill bit. Just be darn sure to wear eye and ear protection and a glove while doing it in case a primer goes off. If the drill bit makes it all the way to the bottom of the primer anvil, it could also disturb the priming mix and cause a squib, so don't use this ammo for anything you need to rely on, like match ammo.

Short of that, if you are using a fast pistol powder in this, the chances are the corncob will just blow out of the gun along with other unburned debris. I would also recommend against using rounds loaded this way for match ammo, both because of the corncob possibly causing short ignition delays that tend to let shooter wobble open up groups, and because the tumbler-vibrated primers have more chance of producing a squib, though it probably won't be much.

For the future, as others commented, do your cleaning before you size and prime. That improves the life of your sizing die and lets your decapping pin push the corncob out. As suggested, go to a smaller size of corncob or the walnut to avoid plugged flash holes.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 24, 2021, 11:00 AM   #15
zeke

Another fan of walnut media, but it can still get stuck in flash hole. This statement from actual experience. Although that might be dependent on the grade/condition of media/flash hole size.
Old February 24, 2021, 11:10 AM   #16
Irish Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag2 View Post
In the future get 20-40 corn cob. It can still happen but very seldom. For now it’s just punch them out by hand.
+1 on the 20/40
Old February 24, 2021, 12:26 PM   #17
RC20

Quote:
What good would a pin do. The op states that the cases are already primed so no way to stick a decapping pin through flash hole.
I skipped over the primed and read just tumbled. My mistake.

Prying would seem to risk primer damage and if a weak firing pin strikes or a primer movement causes a change in firing, that may as well (media in there) though may not know it with a 45 pistol.

I think the dry tumbler idea is better, I see no downside.
Old February 24, 2021, 01:18 PM   #18
jag2

Yep, I missed that too. Actually, it never occurred to me to put them back in the tumbler after they were primed. I'm with the go ahead and shoot them group.
Old February 24, 2021, 03:31 PM   #19
gwpercle

Don't put primed brass in any tumbler ... corn cobb , walnut shell or stainless steel pins and water .
The dry media will clog the flash hole and the wet media isn't great for the priming compound . If you do the wet tumble ... make sure the priming compound is completely dried out . When wet the compound is inert and won't fire .

When reloading do as Aretha Franklin sings in her 1968 hit song ... Think !
Gary
Old February 24, 2021, 08:20 PM   #20
RC20

I doubt you could ensure a primer dried out in a case after wet.

From experience, those kernels stuck in the primer hole can be hard to pin out.

Ergo, will they flash out so easily or will you wind up with an odd fizzle or poor ignition?

Best to deal with them and be sure and generally as noted, don't get there in the first place.
Old February 24, 2021, 10:09 PM   #21
pwc

[FONT="Arial"][/FONT]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris downs View Post
Is there something I should do? Thanks.

Yes....Don't tumble primed brass!

Tumble before deprime, then if there is anything stuck, it will be pushed out with spent primer

Last edited by pwc; February 24, 2021 at 10:15 PM.
Old February 25, 2021, 09:49 AM   #22
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
If these are live primers, personally I wouldn’t put them back in the tumbler. Probably not a big deal, I just wouldn’t do it. Murphy’s law ya know.
I sure as heck wouldn’t tumble these without any media. There is nothing from keeping them from banging around into each other
Old February 25, 2021, 12:04 PM   #23
wild willy

First thing I would is separate the ones with media from the ones without.Then I'd tap the ones with on the bench a couple times mouth side down to try to get some out.Keep them separated and load them.Shoot the ones with media for practice I'd bet you don't have any trouble.You see this question posted once in awhile good time for you to test it and let us know.
Old February 25, 2021, 01:52 PM   #24
RC20

Quote:
I sure as heck wouldn’t tumble these without any media. There is nothing from keeping them from banging around into each other
Easy enough to test.

Quote:
Tumble before deprime, then if there is anything stuck, it will be pushed out with spent primer
I use the tumbling to remove the goo from the sizing as well as the lube in the neck for the M expander die.

Its not a big deal to poke the hole with the pin. I just do it as part of the Primer Pocket cleaning (yes I know its not needed but I like to be sure there is no crud down there affecting the seating of the primer and it makes me feel better)

Or if they are not cruded up, then I put the cases in the tray upside down anyway to track which ones I have primed and just go down the rows poking with the pin.

There are more than one way to skin a cat and that works for and suits me. Others of course suit themselves and its good to have a range of approaches to see which one suits you, many are not have to but a preference.
Old February 25, 2021, 02:04 PM   #25
lordvader

I get that problem all the time. I just punch them out with a small punch that will go through the flash hole. I also use the rod from my lee case trimmers.