The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 18, 2021, 10:13 PM   #1
Logs

Review Ruger Security 9mm Compact

I picked up a Ruger Security 9mm Compact for $369.99 plus tax. It came with 2 - 10 rd mags. Fits my hand really well and is pretty light weight. Took it out to my farm this weekend and fired a box of Blazer Brass through it. Accuracy was really good and the trigger was pretty smooth. No failures of any kind, but only ran one box of ammo through it. The hammer is a little odd that you don't really notice it moving. Recoil was very mild and sights are nice. Pretty nice pistol for the money if you are looking for something new. My last Ruger 9mm was P89 pistol.

Old January 19, 2021, 09:01 PM   #2
triplebike

My son picked up one about two weeks ago. Our range trip concluded that it is a very nice handgun. We ran a ton of different ammo through it without a problem. Damn accurate, nice trigger, sights and balances very well. I felt that its an excellent value and now I'm looking for one for myself.
Old January 19, 2021, 10:35 PM   #3
Logs

Good luck I haven't seen any other ones at shops for a few weeks now. www.kygunco.com had the best price a few weeks ago.

I just saw another ad with a few in stock out of Louisville, KY.

Last edited by Logs; January 19, 2021 at 10:43 PM.
Old January 23, 2021, 12:53 PM   #4
triplebike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs View Post
Good luck I haven't seen any other ones at shops for a few weeks now. www.kygunco.com had the best price a few weeks ago.

I just saw another ad with a few in stock out of Louisville, KY.

I called my LGS yesterday and low and behold they had just got in some Security 9's. I went there this morning and got the last compact they had. I think I'll buy a lotto ticket since my luck seems to be on the upswing.
Old January 23, 2021, 03:29 PM   #5
Logs

I hope you won the Lotto. It was a good one.
Old January 24, 2021, 09:06 PM   #6
Tom-R2

I bought one a year ago. First round failed to chamber. Racked the slide again and dumped the round out, and it chambered the next. After that, every single round fed, fired and ejected. Picked up the first round and it chambered just fine, fired and ejected. Most rounds that first day were reloads, plated, Hi_tek coated, jacketed, FMJ, hollowpoints, 124s, 135s, 147s. Ate every single thing. Shot almost everything point of aim, if not, it was really close. I liked the feel of it and it's well made. I'm happy with it.
Old February 15, 2021, 02:05 PM   #7
JKP

I've had mine about 3 weeks now. A little tight at first but after 900 rounds through it, it's running great. I added Talon grips and 2 15 round magazines. Ruger gave it to me as they said they couldn't repair my SR9c.
Old February 15, 2021, 05:28 PM   #8
CajunBass

I've had one for a year or so now. I'm a confirmed revolver man, but it's replaced a Colt Cobra as my EDC.

The next time it malfunctions, will be the first time.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old February 15, 2021, 10:20 PM   #9
Siggy-06

I remember when the P95’s were Ruger’s affordable polymer 9mm’s. I’ve handled the full size and compact of the Security 9, seem like a very nice affordable option! I’ve been spoiled by replaceable backstraps and easier take down pistols these days, but I might consider one as a back up in the future.
Old February 17, 2021, 11:07 AM   #10
CajunBass

You won't find one much easier to strip down than the Security-9. Pull the slide back a little, pop out one pin, remove slide, and vola. It's done.
John 3:16 (NKJV)