The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 26, 2014, 06:28 PM   #1
AdamSean

Coyote hunting with a shotgun

Let me begin by stating that the land I am hunting on does not allow the use of centerfire cartridges or buckshot. So, that said, I am beginning to hunt some coyote since I tagged out my turkey season. I am using my Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag loaded with Winchester Xtended Range High Density Coyote Loads going through my Primos Tightwad choke. As long as I can get 40-50 yards, I will be happy with that. I guess I am just a little curious what to expect. Has anyone used these loads? How well did they work? Also, what can I do to improve my chances of walking out with a coyote or two? I have a couple predator calls, but last week I had a coyote show up while I was turkey hunting and attack my decoys. I will be on a small field about 50-60 yards wide and about 300 yards long with tall grass. I am thinking of setting up like I would if I were turkey hunting. Just off the field along the tree line and catch them as they come up the access road along the field. Any advice is appreciated.
Old April 26, 2014, 09:36 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

"I am thinking of setting up like I would if I were turkey hunting."

Sounds like a good starting plan. Try the turkey calls first, and then shift to wounded rabbit if no action.
Old April 26, 2014, 10:08 PM   #3
bamaranger

good luck

Coyote hunting w/ shotgun is done and when I try it I use an 835 as well with the Dead Coyote T-buck load. No shots when purposely hunting 'yotes.

I've killed more coyotes while spring gobbler hunting,....they either stalk a decoy set, or come slinking in to hen calls. A 3" load of #6 or #5 leveled all those at 25 yards or so.

I've also seen 'yotes working their way towards gobbling toms. No doubt that a coyote has turkey sandwich on his mind.

Purposely calling coyotes is all about the wind and playing it against how you think the dog will approach. You will have to be down or cross wind to get a shot for almost dead certain.

Heck of a predator.....hope you see some action
Old April 27, 2014, 11:52 AM   #4
buck460XVR

Last several years, I too have killed more 'yotes while turkey hunting(spring and fall) than while hunting coyotes. Shot a big male last week myself that came flyin' outta the brush behind me and tackled my decoy. Load of 5s @ 25 yards and all he did was kick for a few seconds. That said, I would check your local regs first before using a turkey call to hunt coyotes if you used all your turkey tags. Here in Wisconsin, if you are using a turkey call of any type while having a weapon in your possession, you are considered to be hunting turkeys and best have a valid turkey tag during Turkey season. Otherwise you are in deep do-do.