The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 10, 2013, 08:01 PM   #26
spacecoast

Quote:
In fact, I'd wager less shooting, since the panic buying has driven up prices. Do you drive more, or less- when gasoline prices go up?
I was at the local outdoor range shortly after noon yesterday and I've never seen it so crowded (been going there 3-1/2 years a couple times a month on avg.). I don't know where people are getting ammo (or the money for it) but they seem to be shooting. It surprised me. We stayed for about 3 hours and the pistol range still had quite a few people near closing time.
Old February 10, 2013, 09:46 PM   #27
4runnerman

I hit the indoor range this morning also. It was very busy. I am always the first one there in the morning and today,,, Wow- I have not seen it that busy since i started working there 3 years ago
Old February 11, 2013, 10:22 PM   #28
mitranoc

I also picked up 1,000 rounds for $499.00 at my Gander in West Palm. It was 55gr Federal FMJ loosely packed. They also had Fiocchi .223 boxes of 50 for $24.99, and Independence 5.56 boxes of 20 for $9.99.

George Washington
Old February 12, 2013, 12:32 AM   #29
nazshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethlee View Post
What do we think would happen if a large number of us decided to not buy any ammo for a month? Guaranteed the supply would go up and the price would go down.
Unfortunately a large number of us have not been able to find/buy ammo for over a month so there is likely a lot of pent up demand.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
Old February 12, 2013, 11:51 AM   #30
btmj

The increase in demand is coming from all the people who do not regularly buy ammo. I have no proof of this, but it is my theory.

There are ~300 million firearms in the US. What percentage of those are fired on a regular basis, at least twice per year? 5% ? 10% ? I would guess it is something like 10% are used at least twice per year. So there are 30 million firearms which are used regularly, and which consume all of the ammo which is produced for private (consumer) sale. The ammo industry is sized so that it can meet the governmental needs, plus the consumer needs of 30 million regularly used guns.

So now a "crisis" happens, and people start to think " gee I ought to get me some bullets for my gun". Now you have 270 million guns which have been sitting for years, unused, with a half-empty box of cartridges next to them... and suddenly their owners decide they need to stock up on a box or two of shells. Of course the ammo industry can't keep up with this spike in demand.

It would be as if an ailen race eliminated all cars from the planet, and now everyone needed a new car this year... this very month in fact. There is no way the auto industry could replace the worlds population of cars in a year, or two years, or even three... That is somewhat the situation with ammo.
Old February 12, 2013, 01:02 PM   #31
pat701

It is a shame that this is now news worthy.
Old February 12, 2013, 03:20 PM   #32
t45

It is ashame. I never thought I would see the day when you couldnt find 22 rim fires on a shelf somewhere. I got my hands on a 1000rds of 223 just so I can have a little cushion in case things got worse. I will shoot my reloads sparingly also.