The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 1, 2012, 01:30 PM   #1
golfballshootr

Need another source for 6.5mm Rem Mag brass

Does anyone know where else that I can locate some 6.5MM Remington Mag brass? I usually got it from Huntington, but just called them and they are out and Remington has told them they will not be making anymore!

I just looked at Graf and they are "out of stock". That was my only two sources.
Old February 1, 2012, 02:02 PM   #2
JerryM

I cannot answer the question, but just yesterday I was looking at the M 660 in 6 MM Rem I gave my son in 1971.
When I bought it a friend who had an "in" with Simmons in Olathe KS, and I went to the store, and they let us go to the warehouse and pick out the one I wanted. The price was wholesale minus 10% to my friend.

I cannot figure out why I was so dumb as not to buy a 6.5 Rem Mag. and a .350 Rem Mag. If the 6.5 was as accurate as the 6 MM, easy mos, it would be a great rifle to lug in the mountains, and the performance should not be far from a .270. I do not like 20" barrels, but still wish I had bought one.

As it turns out I was wondering about the availability of brass. I usually buy 200 - 300 cases with a new rifle.

How do you like it, have you chronographed the loads, and how is the accuracy?

Thanks,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old February 1, 2012, 02:14 PM   #3
golfballshootr

I actually really love the rifle. Although, as you stated, it is short barrel length, it has been very accurate with my handloads.

I got it last year from a guy that bought it and could not find factory ammo for it. Since I could not bear to pay the exorbant factory load cost and already handload, I just bought 500 new cases last year. I have worked up two separate loads for it, with exactly the same poa & poi @ 200 yards, one is 100gr Nosler BT and the other is 130gr Nosler Accubond, with different powders behind each one.

So, since I was going through the brass and figured I might as well order some more to have it for the point of having it, I found out there is no more and now I am frustrated with myself for not buying more last year. I have 100 that are still new, all the rest are once fired, so, I am not in a pickle yet.....
Old February 1, 2012, 03:51 PM   #4
AllenJ

You might be in trouble, Remington is not even listing them on their website!
Old February 1, 2012, 04:04 PM   #5
JerryM

Thanks, golfballshootr,
The Rem 660 seems to be an accurate rifle. Again, I wish I had bought one, but my hunting days are over so guess I would just enjoy looking at it now. Not sure how much I would have used it instead of my Win Pre 64 Fwt .270.

Hope you can come up with some brass that has been tucked away for years, and is not too costly.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old February 1, 2012, 07:32 PM   #6
oldscot3

pm me. I have a number of 20 round boxes of never used Remington brass that I bought well over 20 years ago.
Old February 2, 2012, 07:36 AM   #7
jason75979

I seen on Midways site the 6.5 mag brass was a "seasonal" run. I purchased 150 pieces last year. Only using about 20 at a time.
On a side note, I witnessed very poor performance from the Accubonds with a starting load. But, my 673 loves the Barnes bullets
Old February 2, 2012, 09:05 AM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

As long as the .350 is still in production you can make your own 6.5 Mag. brass.

Requires multiple steps and neck reaming, but it's better than paying the price for obsolete brass.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 3, 2012, 01:03 PM   #9
SHR970

If a run from Remington is not forthcoming there are three options that I know of.

1. Using another magnum brass as your pallet, reform your own. You can neck down 350 Rem. or cut the neck off of a 264 / 300 Win. or 7mm Rem. Mag and start from there. It will be some work to do but it is doable.

2. Contact an outfit like Quality Cartridge and pay the price for them to make you some. If you go this route; you might want to look for some other people who will go in with you for a larger run to reduce the per piece price. IO have no idea what their minimum run is but it doesn't hurt to contact them and find out all of the particulars. Who knows, they may have a run planned in the not to distant future and you could get in on it.

3. Scan the Gunbroker and related sites until you find some out there from a private party. This option is the "you roll the dice; you take your chances" option.
Old February 3, 2012, 01:15 PM   #10
jason75979

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldscot3 View Post
pm me. I have a number of 20 round boxes of never used Remington brass that I bought well over 20 years ago.
If the other gentleman doesn't want them, I will buy them.
Old February 20, 2012, 01:32 PM   #11
okie2

Mid way has them $77.00 per 100
Old February 20, 2012, 01:34 PM   #12
jason75979

Out of stock, seasonal run
Old February 20, 2012, 03:19 PM   #13
William T. Watts

80 rounds of factory primed Remington 6.5 mag brass available on Gunbroker, item #274582282. This is older old stock dates from 60's or 70's, the brass should be fine, I don'dt think I would trust the primers . William
Old March 15, 2012, 04:54 PM   #14
okie2

6.5 rm brass

How about we get all the people that needs brass to sign a draft and send it to Remington to let them know we need brass and they should suport all of us that bought thier rifles in 6.5 & 350 mag.
there is guys all over the net looking for this brass.
If they don't I will not buy another Remington product.
Old December 31, 2012, 10:51 PM   #15
jason75979

Bringing this back up. Remington has "discontinued" their 6.5 mag brass
Anyone have a heads up?
I felt it better BTW to bring an older thread back rather than creating a new one and wasting bandwidth......if y'all worry about that on this forum.
Old January 1, 2013, 12:54 AM   #16
Jimro

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reload/n...-mag-25ct.aspx

Neck down, trim the necks.

Jimro
Old January 1, 2013, 11:11 AM   #17
zplinker

I have 160 pieces of 6.5 Mag. brass, R_P, which I would sell, shipped to the lower 48, for $75. It has been decapped and cleaned, but not sized. For another $10, I would anneal it. ( http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html)
Old January 1, 2013, 09:43 PM   #18
Two Old Dogs

forming 6.5 Rem. Mag. Brass

From The Handloaders Manual of Cartridge Conversions by Donnelly: Use 300 H&H brass, run H&H case into 6.5 Rem. die. You may have to anneal. Trim to length. Chamfer. F/L Size.
Old January 1, 2013, 09:44 PM   #19
Two Old Dogs

Forming 6.5 Rem. Mag. Brass

From The Handloaders Manual of Cartridge Conversions by Donnelly: Use
.300 H&H brass, run H&H case into 6.5 Rem. die. You may have to anneal. Trim to length. Chamfer. F/L Size.
Old January 1, 2013, 09:49 PM   #20
jason75979

From The Handloaders Manual of Cartridge Conversions by Donnelly: Use
.300 H&H brass, run H&H case into 6.5 Rem. die. You may have to anneal. Trim to length. Chamfer. F/L Size.
Case forming die?.....and then trim/ chamfer..fl size?
Old January 1, 2013, 10:10 PM   #21
Jimro

you may have to anneal? No, you WILL have to anneal. Moving the shoulder back around 8mm and necking it down to 6.5mm?

That is why I suggested the 350 Rem brass, no need to move the shoulder, just size down and turn the necks if needed.

Jimro
Old October 17, 2013, 08:09 PM   #22
Kregb

Thread reseration

I realize this thread is pretty old but I looking for cracks in the wall I ran into trying to find brass. Is it possible to run 350 brass straight into a 6.5 reloading die or do I need a special die. Or is it possible to run it through a series of dies and neck it down in stages. I have never tried to reform a case before but for the 6.5 it doesn't look like I have a choice.
Old October 17, 2013, 10:21 PM   #23
reynolds357

I just put back 1000 350 Rem mag pcs of brass for that same reason. Its a bit easier to find and you can neck it down if you get into too much trouble. You can also make it from 7Rem MAg, but its a slight bit of a pain.
Old October 18, 2013, 11:09 AM   #24
Mike Irwin
Staff

You should be able to run it straight into a 6.5 die. Remove the decapping stem during your initial forming pass, it makes things a little bit easier.

Make sure that your cases are well lubricated.

You may have to neck turn the cases to ensure that you have proper chamber clearance.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 20, 2013, 09:37 AM   #25
F. Guffey

Reloading is not fair, case forming is beyond unfair.

When I form brass the shoulder does not move, it is erased, the shoulder that is formed is ‘a new shoulder’ that was not there before I started and the old shoulder becomes something else, or it is cut off with the man tool, the hack saw.

“All you gott-a do is etc., etc..” ? ? Fire forming? Same thing, most fire formers are pulling the trigger and making once fired cases, I know, there is the cool factor, “I went to the range today and fire formed my cases”,

I have forming dies, I justified the cost because 30/06 cases were available for .01 cent each, 1,400 cases for $14.00. Then there were wildcats, cases did not exist, like taking advise when chambering a rifle I could not believe how much guess work was going on.

Criteria: failure rate, I was asked to assist in forming cases for a wildcat chamber, the advise? “All you gotta do is...... “ , now a few would wonder why they ask me to get involved, the first tool they wanted me to bring was the other #4 Shell holder for the 300 H&H, 300 Weatherby, 375 etc., and 300 Winchester Magnum cases. Following their own advise all they managed was a big wad of brass at the case body/shoulder juncture, as a side note I was going to furnish the case lube, but, if Imperial sizing wax was not going to be used it was going to be Dillon in the bottle or can. No cool factor in saying “I do not use Imperial” or “I do not use Dillon etc..”.

Like magic, no failures, in the process at any point we could have formed 350 Remington cases or 6.5 Remington mag cases without with ease and without failures.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; October 20, 2013 at 09:38 AM. Reason: add is