The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 21, 2010, 09:19 PM   #1
"JJ"

Electric ears?

Has anybody tried these?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=774928
A friend I shoot with bought an extra pair & let me barrow them last time we went shooting.

The pic above is of my pair I purchased the next day!
I can barely afford my guns & ammo as it is. Forget a $100 pair of muffs!
Sure the sound is not that great, but for the price($29) I love'em!
They are very light weight, low profile, & they work!!

I love not having to take them off to explain why I didn't hit the target!!
I'm pleased with them, just thought I would share with you guys!
Old June 22, 2010, 07:26 AM   #2
Morgoroth

So how exactly do these things work?

I am imagining a microphone that is attached to the outside which you can turn on and off. Am I close?
Old June 22, 2010, 08:04 AM   #3
"JJ"

Yes, these have a mic on the front of each ear muff. They amplify sounds below like 80 decibles, then they block sounds above. The volume/ pwr knob that you see in my pic, adjust the amplified sound volume between shots. ie: range instruction, shooting partner or even emergency situations. At my red neck range, it is open to the public. It close to a local lake. The shooting area is pointing away from the access. So while shooting, my back is turned & I can't hear anyone driving up or trying to address me. So I was always worried about my range supplies & other firearms. They were never more than a few yrds away, unless I was down checking/ placing a target. Now I can hear birds hopping around in the leaves! Now I will admit, I went with the no AC model! They are a bit warm in this Texas heat.
Old June 22, 2010, 08:46 AM   #4
Morgoroth

Nice. I did not know you could get them that inexpensively and I assumed you would have to turn them on and off.
Old June 22, 2010, 09:10 AM   #5
"JJ"

Same here! Until my friend let me use his. As I said before, I shoot outside. Even though you can adjust the volume, some ambient noise like hwy traffic or at a inside range, a loud talking neighbor in the next lane can be a bit distracting. This may be a side effect of the cheeper set! Over all, they block out gun shots & didn't cost a ton!
Old July 4, 2010, 04:55 PM   #6
HighExpert

I bought mine from Dillon about 13 years ago and have been happy ever since. I have had to replace the earpads once but the work just like new. I especially like them when training a new shooter. When we both have a pair on I can give instruction without have to yell which helps the atmosphere a lot. Good stuff. And yes, they can be as warm as any full muff in hot weather.
Old July 4, 2010, 05:06 PM   #7
kaylorinhi

Samey Same

I got issued the Peltor's and love them, no "real" difference between brands so hating from me, great piece's of gear!
Old July 7, 2010, 08:04 PM   #8
wally626

I bought three of the cheap muffs and like them. Usually I use them with inner ear plugs.

The advantage of more expensive models are that some have higher NR ratings, the cheaper ones are usually round 23dB, the amplifiers are better so the incoming sound is cleaner and they use better cut-off circuits. The cheap ones kill the sound then come back in a little later when a loud sound occurs. This can be a bit jarring, the better ones just lower the sound level quickly but do not go to zero amplification. The better ones also have auto-off, although so far I have not forgotten to turn mine off. The more expensive models should also have better construction, but so far my cheap ones have done fine.

I have also seen a few inner ear models that have good noise reduction ratings, which would help the heat from muffs but they tend to be really expensive and are aimed mostly at hunters.
Old July 11, 2010, 12:50 PM   #9
dsteward001

I have a similar set.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

I do a lot of varmint hunting at the ranches of a couple family friends. When you are sitting in a car at night with 3 guys and 3 AR15s it is almost a must have. Very nice to hear their voices and not get have your ears ring with each shot (or constantly pull plugs in and out).

I didn't even know something like this existed. Definitely worth it if you shoot a lot or with other people.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." --Thomas Edison
Old July 12, 2010, 03:38 PM   #10
wrt81

Quote:
dsteward001

I have a similar set.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

I do a lot of varmint hunting at the ranches of a couple family friends. When you are sitting in a car at night with 3 guys and 3 AR15s it is almost a must have. Very nice to hear their voices and not get have your ears ring with each shot (or constantly pull plugs in and out).

I didn't even know something like this existed. Definitely worth it if you shoot a lot or with other people.
I have these same ones and really like them. They're the first set of electronic muff's I've tried, but I have no complaints so far.