The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 8, 2017, 04:34 PM   #1
Amati

Melting down the 1911, ideas?

Bought a Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec because I have a soft spot for the GI pistol.

Sent it to Springfield's custom shop to do lots of custom work including "radical" dehorning and blueing.

The dehorning came out fair but not radical enough for me.

The blueing is not nice, apparently the old chemicals are now illegal, etc.

Enter Clark Custom Guns:

https://clarkcustomguns.com/gun/meltdown/

I'm very tempted to have them melt it and hard chrome parts of it.

By the time I get it back it'll be a candidate for most expensive 1911 folly.

Ideas?

Thanks.
Old December 8, 2017, 05:30 PM   #2
Red-5

You want Blueing. The best I have seen recently is being done by Bunker Arms and they are in the great State of Florida.

I am sure Brandon can take care of any of your needs.
Old December 8, 2017, 06:01 PM   #3
Amati

Bunker Arms, eh? Thanks.
Old December 8, 2017, 06:12 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I've never understood the appeal of a "melted" 1911.

Different strokes for different folks, for sure.
Old December 8, 2017, 06:28 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

If you are going to change the finish on your gun, bluing is about the worst finish there is.
Upgrade to Hard chrome, nitriding, or even nickel plating.
Even gun paint is better than bluing.
Old December 8, 2017, 06:31 PM   #6
MarkCO

There is no appeal of a melted 1911 to me, it is purely functional for a pistol that is carried regularly.
Old December 8, 2017, 08:50 PM   #7
Kreyzhorse

Curious what the appeal is for the old GI model when you are considering turning it into anything but?

The melting does look bad, but I prefer the classic lines of the 1911.
Old December 8, 2017, 09:14 PM   #8
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Bought a Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec because I have a soft spot for the GI pistol.
But then you want to turn it into some sort of freak of nature!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 8, 2017, 11:50 PM   #9
Ibmikey

Amati, This is your pistol do whatever you desire in changes.....God will forgive you......maybe!
Old December 9, 2017, 12:06 AM   #10
BigJimP

Sell it as is....and look at a Wilson Combat or an Ed Brown catalog...for a gun that meets your specs.../...you'll be way happier down the road in my view.
Old December 9, 2017, 01:50 AM   #11
HiBC

I'll offer a bizzare suggestion.
The 1911 purist (Bless them) will never approve of an alteration of the classic.
And that's OK.
I like the classics.

I also like beavertails and checkered forestraps. Gasp!

AND,AND!! I like comped,double stack,mini optic mounted 38 Super race guns!!! Even with gas pedal controls.

They make lots of Springfiels Mil-Specs. Its your gun.You have a vision! Be your own freak!

Melt jobs are cosmetics/aesthetics. All in YOUR eye.

Look. See what you can't change,like around the slidestop cuts in the slide.

Use a Sharpie. Mark what you want to change.

Nice,new,sharp files! A needle file set! Maybe even (cringe) an unlicensed Dremel.

Maybe a Pana-Vise....Some kind of vise. (gently! No crushing)

File a uniform 45 deg chamfer all over. That makes one corner into two 45 ea,corners,,yes? You can rub cold blue on it for contrast,if you want.Now go back and file a flat on the two new 45 deg corners,so you have 3 uniform flats.

Repeat,till you think you have enough little flats to blend out . Emery tape over a piece of wood yardstick is Ok. This time work across the flats,blending them out. Be careful to keep the lines of tangency clean and straight.Shoe-shining won't do that well.

Then you might decide to sandblast the whole thing.

Brother has become pretty good at Cera-coat. Seems good stuff.

Home Parkerizing is possible. Look at stainless drywall mud pans or stainless loaf pans,etc. You need to be able to boil all the pieces. My one time experience,it comes out ugly....but then I cold blued over the park and sealed it with turpentine/beeswax. It was pretty good on my fake 1903A4 project parts.

Hard Chrome would be nice.

I figure,if you are going mess up a 1911,why pay somebody else to have all the fun? With paying money,expectations go up!! Hard to be satisfied. Doing my own work?? I understand.
Just think before you cut...and usually,less is more.
Sometimes,just do it. Its just a flipping gun! Get your Bubba on!! Do your best,and you MIGHT surprise yourself. Maybe.Or? "Seemed like a good idea at the time!!"
Live.
I'll never forget the look on my brother's face when he told me he wanted his Badge barreled AR-10 T to have a 20in vs a 24 in bbl. This rifle was shooting lime size groups at 300yds.

I walked over to the Do-All band saw,sawed the barrel off,and handed it to him.

Gasp!!. "Oh,you want it crowned,too?? You should have said something! That's extra!!!". Dang!! That ain't gonna fit in the South Bend.
I have a very precision angle plate with a vertical Vee on one face. Hung it off theside of the Bridgeport table and swung the head over.It shoots REAL good.

Last edited by HiBC; December 9, 2017 at 02:09 AM.
Old December 9, 2017, 06:53 AM   #12
Spats McGee
Staff

I love the plain, park'd GI look, but (oddly) I seem to have a soft spot for the melt jobs, too. From time to time, WC145 posts pictures of one that just makes me drool. You can find it here.
Old December 9, 2017, 07:30 AM   #13
Skadoosh

What's not to like?

Old December 9, 2017, 07:35 AM   #14
Spats McGee
Staff

^^^Dang, that's beautiful!
Old December 9, 2017, 08:26 AM   #15
Amati

Skadoosh

Thank you! Yep, it takes a Navy guy.
If you wouldn't mind please share how to contact the maker.
Old December 9, 2017, 08:31 AM   #16
OzeanJaeger

I was just going to comment that when done right a melted Government M with a lusterous deep blue is gorgeous. Just personal preference on the aesthetics, but I don’t think the melt looks anywhere near as good unless it has a top notch bluing job.
Old December 9, 2017, 08:32 AM   #17
joed

I'm with Bill DeShivs, I hate blueing and haven't bought a blued gun in 10 years. Almost anything is better then Blue.

Before spending more on this .45 why not sell it and buy a stainless from Kimber or Wilson?
Old December 9, 2017, 08:42 AM   #18
Skadoosh

Quote:
I'm with Bill DeShivs, I hate blueing and haven't bought a blued gun in 10 years. Almost anything is better then Blue.
The heat and humidity here in the Hampton Roads region of Virginia during the summer is downright swampy. Guess what? My BLUED Colt Detective that I have carried almost every single day for over a decade still looks like this:

It lives 24/7/365 in that holster and rarely gets wiped down.
Old December 9, 2017, 08:45 AM   #19
Skadoosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amati View Post
Skadoosh

Thank you! Yep, it takes a Navy guy.
If you wouldn't mind please share how to contact the maker.
Clark Custom. A phone call over email is preferable.
318-949-9884 (M-F 8:00 am – 4:00 pm CST)
Old December 9, 2017, 08:56 AM   #20
Amati

Selling my gun is equivalent to gifting it. Custom guns from private parties are toxic.

So far this pistol has cost north of $3K and a buyer who would pay more than the cost of a new in the box Mil-Spec would be very hard to find.

Two resellers have admired it but neither one was interested to buy it, at any price.

The idea is to spend another ~ $2K and end up with a Skadoosh ^^^ gun from Clark Custom. I called them a few days ago and spoke with Clay Patterson who gave me great confidence in moving forward.
Old December 9, 2017, 10:59 AM   #21
joed

Amati, I'm a fan of 1911's too. Would like to see what the gun looks like now. I used to own a beautiful Springfield that had a nickel finish. To this day I regret parting with it.
Old December 9, 2017, 11:07 AM   #22
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amati View Post
Selling my gun is equivalent to gifting it. Custom guns from private parties are toxic.

So far this pistol has cost north of $3K and a buyer who would pay more than the cost of a new in the box Mil-Spec would be very hard to find.

Two resellers have admired it but neither one was interested to buy it, at any price.

The idea is to spend another ~ $2K and end up with a Skadoosh ^^^ gun from Clark Custom. I called them a few days ago and spoke with Clay Patterson who gave me great confidence in moving forward.
Not to be rude but if you have spent north of $3000 on this pistol and are looking to spend more you wasted your money. You could have sent it to a real custom shop like Yost, Williams, Cogan, Harrison, Burton, Chen, Christiansen etc.... and gotten exactly what you wanted for less and I can guarantee that the gun would be worth 80%-90% what you had in it if it was built by one of these guys. If you cannot sell a customized gun with documentation then you are trying to sell in the wrong places.

Someone with a soft spot for a GI pistol is not going to do this kind of work. Custom work does not equal GI pistol IMHO. Without pics of the existing gun I get the feeling we are being trolled.
Old December 9, 2017, 12:34 PM   #23
tipoc

Post a pic of your gun please, the one you said had the "Radical" melt job.

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old December 9, 2017, 01:00 PM   #24
T. O'Heir

"...bluing is not nice..." Has nothing to do with the chemicals. It's about the 100%, time consuming, hand, polishing work a really pretty hot bluing job requires. As mentioned, bluing doesn't provide much protection.
Old December 9, 2017, 01:07 PM   #25
SGW Gunsmith

Skadoosh...........That's one of the very BEST lookin' 1911 pistols that I've seen in quite some time. No sharp edges that are prone to hinder a smooth and easy holster draw.

Bluing? Always a practical and appealing finish on a 1911 style pistol, and the very best examples that I've seen, to date, come from Doug Turnbull and the artists that he employs. Worried about bluing wear? Get yourself a GOOD, molded-fit and lined holster. Nothing better.