The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 18, 2011, 02:21 PM   #1
BANG

Bedding in a slug barrel?

I have read several articles exposing the accuracy gained from bedding-in the receiver/take-down area of rifles, and leaving the barrel floating. Does this also apply to rifled barrels of shotguns shooting saboted slugs, or to smoothbore barrels shooting rifled slugs?
Old January 18, 2011, 02:55 PM   #2
davecharles

Should help on a quality rifled shotgun especially a bolt action. Won't make as much difference on a smooth bore because most shoot more open groups. Bedding and free float may make a 1" at 50 yards improvement in a rifled bbl (from a 2" group to a 1'' group). Not as noticable when going from a 5" group to a 4" group on a smooth bore. All this will vary from one gun to another (some shoot better with barrel contact).
Dave
Old January 18, 2011, 03:00 PM   #3
zippy13

The typical slug shotgun is a pump with interchangeable barrels. In reality the barrel is already "floating" since it doesn't get any support from the wood. Typically, pump barrels have a friction fit with the receiver and a lug restraint with the bolt and another support at the front of the magazine type. Attempts for more accuracy usually start with adding rigidity to the barrel/receiver friction fit connection with pins, screws and/or adhesives.
Old January 19, 2011, 08:55 AM   #4
BANG

Thanks for the info.

I should have mentioned that this would apply to a bolt-action shotgun, not a pump. I have a 16-ga bolt-action (Mossberg 190 purchased in 1953) which I am contemplating on using as a slug gun. However, I am planning on getting another bolt-action in 12 ga. and would keep the "floating" barrel parameter in mind.
Old January 19, 2011, 09:01 AM   #5
LSnSC

It would only work on a bolt action and I dont think you would see enough significant gain to justify the effort.
Old January 19, 2011, 11:18 AM   #6
davecharles

I have a Mossberg 395 (bolt action) that I built up about 20 years ago. I had the barrel rifled by a gunsmith that did muzzle loaders and a few shotguns. I free floated the barrel and have been shooting it fo years. 1-2" groups with slugs it likes (100 yards) I have another one (Mossberg 395) that I will do one of these days with a Hastings heavy barrel I expect at least as good accuracy. I've been using muzzle loaders for most of my deer hunting for the last 6 years so it's on the back burner.
Dave