The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 21, 2008, 07:02 PM   #1
sapello

A WWII pistol; what is it?

I have just been given a relatives pistol he carried during WWII in Europe and wonder if anyone is familiar with it. The pistol is a small black semi-auto pistol that is marked as follows:
DUO on the pistol grips, Automat Pistole DUO cal. 635, F. Dusek, Opotschno on the slide; serial no. on the other, 110XXX. The pistol came to me with a small leather holster with cover flap and an extra mag. Comparing the bullet size that were in the mag, it appears to be 25 cal. pistol.
I would appreciate any comments about it and perhaps value, although I will never part from it.
Old August 21, 2008, 07:15 PM   #2
w_houle

I google image searched 25 acp duo and found what looks to match your description. I then googled cz duo and found more information on this pistol.
Old August 21, 2008, 07:36 PM   #3
ISC

Spanish Ruby?
Old August 21, 2008, 08:29 PM   #4
Hawg

AFAIK all the Ruby's were 7.65(.32 ACP). The one on top left is a Spanish Ruby from WWI.

Old August 21, 2008, 08:46 PM   #5
SDC

The DUO was made in Czechoslovakia by a designer named Frantisek Dusek beginning in 1936, and stayed in production up until 1948, when CZ renamed it as their "Z" model; because it was sold widely into the commercial market, they're a common "bring-back" pistol from WW2.
Old August 21, 2008, 10:13 PM   #6
RJay

The Duo is a good quality pistol and while not a military issue pistol may have been carried as a personal sidearm. As SDC posted these were popular bring backs, remember "to the victor belongs the spoils", if it wasn't nailed down tight it went into some GI's pocket and yes 6.35 is .25 ACP. Dusek did made pistols for sale in wartime Germany and was even had a contract code "aek" but as far as I know the German army did not issue .25 caliber pistols. Did I hear someone say Spanish Ruby, not hardly.
Old August 22, 2008, 11:34 AM   #7
dutchy

The DUO was a small pistol made in Brno in what was then Czechoslovakia.
Smallest of a line of pistols of 4, it weighed 370 grams, barrel length 53 mm
total length 114 mm and a height of 77 mm.
Listed as late as 1969 in the Frankonia (german) catalogue, it sold for 88 Deutsch marks. For comparison,same catalogue FN Baby 138 DM.

Hope it helped.

BTW, I like the attitude: Value is not important, I like it and will not part with it. It a sign of taste.

I scanned the page of the catalogue but it turned out 11 Mb big so I did not attach it.

Last edited by dutchy; August 22, 2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old August 22, 2008, 07:08 PM   #8
sapello

DUO semi-auto 25 cal. pistol

I never cease to be amazed at the cooperation, suggestions and down right good weapons knowledge that you guy's have and are willing to share on the Firing Line Forum. All of you have helped me understand the little 25 cal. DUO pistol a lot better and I thank you so very much for your response.
I was too young to serve WWII in Europe but did serve during the Korean War in Germany as a Tank Platoon Leader in 1952-53. We all packed 45 semi-autos in shoulder holsters and to this day do not know why I did not bring either a Luger or a 45. or an old sword home with me. Just young and enjoying the good times of life I guess. Thanks again to all from this Georgian.
Old August 22, 2008, 11:16 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have a DUO and have fired it enough to be convinced that it and a 1908 Colt are the ONLY .25 autos I would trust enough to use for self-defense, reliability-wise. ("Stopping power" is another story!)

Jim
Old August 23, 2008, 06:43 AM   #10
Tom2

You could still get those type of relics in Germany in the Korean era? What all was around?
Old August 24, 2008, 06:38 AM   #11
dutchy

You know Sapello, it is rather simple:
You see how many people respond to your questions, you get motivated to help others.
BTW, for personal protection I would prefer any loose fitting parkerized 1911 over any Luger, regardless of condition or configuration.
I believe latest US Army experience with the 9 mm supports my view.

Have fun responding to other posts.
Old August 24, 2008, 11:51 AM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

The U.S. Army adopted the 9mm because its NATO allies all used that caliber and the U.S. went along. The U.S. rammed its rifle calibers down NATO's throat, but agreed to change its handgun/submachinegun caliber when (then) existing stock of .45 pistols ran out.

Jim
Old August 24, 2008, 01:37 PM   #13
dutchy

Well, they can still correct the terrible mistake and order new 1911's.
I understand that the Iraq effort is a bit on the expensive side, but, in recognition of the nice Olympics, they could order Norinco 1911's?
Enough of that. I think it is the highest duty to send the doughboys WELL EQUIPPED to war, and politics just does not give a 9mm more knockdown power.
BTW recently it was aired on the dutch TV that dutch soldiers going to Afghanistan buy approx. 1500 euros (about 2000 $) worth of better than issued gear. And as guns are heavily controlled in Holland, that does not include back ups or other licensed ordnance.
I think there's a lesson here for both our governments.:barf:
Old August 24, 2008, 04:43 PM   #14
sapello

Tom2: the early 1950's still saw a lot of hardship and people would sell most anything during those hard times. Cities were still in ruins; whole areas decimated. I know a carton of cigarette's went a long way getting my laundry taken care of. Do not take me wrong, even then our U.S. Army units, Brits and French were still working as I understand it the "Occupying Force's" and praying that Joseph Stalin's tank and infantry were not fixing to face off with us (as President Truman thought). I have met many Germans and have the highest respect for them except those that liked Hitlers ideas.

I really did not have much time or money to buy anything special (like maybe a Luger or Walther) to bring home; just wish I had done so. I did buy some special family gifts and brought home a beautiful German Shepherd dog, fully trained by the Germans (and who was one heck of a duck retriever). I am glad to see how well the German nation has responded successfully since WWII and wish them well.
Old August 24, 2008, 07:47 PM   #15
velocette

Duo

I have a Duo 25 acp that needs a firing pin / striker assembly.
Had it for 40 years now, got it from my grandfathers collection when he passed. Never found any parts anywhere, much less anyone that knew what it was. Numrich has no parts for it either.
If y'all know where I could find parts for it, please let me know.

Roger
Old August 24, 2008, 07:59 PM   #16
RJay

http://www.germanguns.com will hook you up directly with a german site. Howeve rif they have your parts be prparedto pay the cost.
Old September 6, 2008, 06:25 PM   #17
GJRoberts

Great Little pistol

I have three of these outstanding pistols. They are all WW2 vintage, and the fit and finish on all are outstanding. I'm always amazed at the fact that even at the height of the war, there was no lowering of standards for the pistol.
Old September 6, 2008, 07:23 PM   #18
tsc1220

Gun handed down

My grandfather past away 2 yrs ago and he left me his guns. One of them being a F. Dusek Opotschno DUO Automat Pistole cal 635 45.

I read the replies based off of Sapellas questions. I have asked a few people and they are not too familiar with this gun. Does it have any value? (Other then sentimental)
Old September 7, 2008, 09:12 PM   #19
RJay

No, no value, just throw it away In Real Estate, location, location, location. In firearms, as a rule its condition, condition, condition.The DUO is listed in the Standard Catalog of Firearms at 300 in exc down to 80 in poor. However, value is in the eyes if the beholder and their location. A firearm that will sale for one price here in Arizona may sell for 10 dollars more in Florida. These prices are also retail, a dealer will offer you only 50 to 60 percent of value. They might have to keep it for months before it's sold. I have found that anything connected to that era, ( the War years ) whether it's military issue or not, the values seem to be going up. Go Figure, at one time you couldn't even give German guns away, well not really but you could buy a Luger for 20 to 35 dollars in the early 50's. The little 25s were going for as low as 5 t0 10 dollars in central Florida.
Old September 10, 2008, 04:21 PM   #20
George R

I sold a customer's DUO .25 in good condition on Gun Broker for $280. this year.
Old September 18, 2008, 09:40 PM   #21
Roland77

Duo

I too, can own one of these little puppies, serial 108xxx. Can anyone please tell me where I can check a serial number online?
Old September 18, 2008, 10:32 PM   #22
RJay

There is no great ledger that holds all the serial numbers of all the firearms made since gunpowder was invented. Also remember, Germany was the loser in WWII. Most records were lost. So unless it happens to be a PP or PPK or other Walther ( and a lot of their records are spotie ), most all the records are hit and miss. And in case of the DUO it is a miss.
Old September 18, 2008, 10:58 PM   #23
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Velocette,

The striker, spring and spring guide from the 1908 .25 Colt will work in the DUO. Gun Parts Corp. has, or had, the three parts for a total of around $30.

See www.gunpartscorp.com

Jim
Old September 19, 2008, 04:32 PM   #24
j-framer

Jim Keenan wrote:

Quote:
Hi, Velocette,

The striker, spring and spring guide from the 1908 .25 Colt will work in the DUO. Gun Parts Corp. has, or had, the three parts for a total of around $30.
I sent him a PM to that effect several days ago . He didn't reply, I don't know if he got it or not.

Are you out there, Velocette? Is the Duo working yet?
Old September 16, 2009, 06:39 AM   #25
bullit7mag

Magazine for DUO 25 acp

I am looking for a magazine for a DUO 635 43 (25 acp. pocket pistol)
6 Rd. cap. I have one in rough condition with missing magazine. Otherwise it seems in operable condition. Can a magazine for a colt pocket 25 or the Browning Baby 25 be adapted. GW