The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 16, 2009, 04:38 PM   #26
FlexiBull

Thanks for the info guys and it's good to see that my thread has created additional interest.

I have been posting these images an other forums and have been told that the round is most probably 20mm Hispano or Oerlikon. it is likely to be an example of the Semi-Armour Piercing Incendiary (SAPI) projectile for the 20mm Hispano aircraft gun or the 20mm Oerlikon AA gun. This used a standard HE shell (filled with incendiary material) and a solid nose cap of hardened steel instead of a fuse. The incendiary was ignited by the force of impact, with the aid of a detonator under the nose piece.

Now I need to do the reverse of Grymster and find a cartridge case. Any help to find one in the UK
Old March 16, 2009, 05:03 PM   #27
FlexiBull

Thanks for the info guys and it's good to see that my thead has created additional interest.

I have been posting these images an other forums and have been told that the round is most probably 20mm Hispano or Oerlikon. it is likely to be an example of the Semi-Armour Piercing Incendiary (SAPI) projectile for the 20mm Hispano aircraft gun or the 20mm Oerlikon AA gun. This used a standard HE shell (filled with incendiary material) and a solid nose cap of hardened steel instead of a fuse. The incendiary was ignited by the force of impact, with the aid of a detonator under the nose piece.

Now I need to do the reverse of Grymster and find a cartridge case. Any help to find one in the UK
Old March 16, 2009, 05:07 PM   #28
grymster2007

Quote:
Now I need to do the reverse of Grymster and find a cartridge case.
Grymster cheated. I originally thought I'd machine my projectiles from steel or even aluminum. But my lathe is pretty wimpy and I didn't want to take the time, hence the ABS plastic. I'm planning to paint a more realistic one after I make a stencil for the lettering that Gbro provided.

Funny what I'll come up with to avoid the honey-do list.
Old March 19, 2009, 11:02 AM   #29
TEDDY

shell

Its an oerlikon.the hispan is shorter.I have a like new one with explosive still in it.and the shell.I will have to go in shop and check it out.those WW2 picks you see with the small guns with the drums are the 20s.I used to handle them
as we had three as guards at our air base, protection from subs and there was a browning 37 mm next to us the army had.