The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 15, 2018, 02:24 AM   #1
KY_blkout

CCDW: one go to gun or multiple?

Just wondering if others who CC have one firearm that is the go to no matter the clothing and master that one gun as much as possible? Or having multiple different that you might carry depending on weather and such. I exclusively carry a glock 19 no matter the situation myself, but have been toying with the idea on a Kimber micro 9 for the warmer months.
Old June 15, 2018, 02:58 AM   #2
dakota.potts

I carry a CZ P-01. Even in South Florida it doesn't bother me to carry in an Alien Gear IWB with jeans and a dark T-shirt. It is comfortable, I shoot it well, and it is easy to conceal.

I have considered getting something pocket sized for other situations but for now I've gotten by on the one.
Old June 15, 2018, 04:27 AM   #3
TJB101

P238 for summer pocket carry. I enjoy the comfort so much that I’ve even kept it for the winter months too. If I do opt for side carry it’s a P225 or a SP101 in one of many I/O holsters
Old June 15, 2018, 05:18 AM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

I try to carry the same thing, day in and day out, and I try to carry "as much gun" as I can comfortably conceal. However, I've found that those two ideas don't always play well together, so I've ended up with three carry pistols.
1. Small -- Ruger LCR -- It's my "shorts and 7 am Home Depot run" pistol.
2. Medium -- S&W Shield -- I carry this one the most, as I can conceal it with my standard wardrobe with a minimum of fuss, and it meets all of my other CC criteria.
3. Large -- Glock 19 -- This used to be my EDC, and I carried it far more than anything else. It's been downgrades somewhat since I got my Shield. It's for cold weather and, well, any other day that I feel like carrying something bigger than the Shield.

The real requirement for me in all of this is that all three pistols are of the "point and shoot" variety. No thumb safeties. Some folks like a thumb safety, some don't. What I'd suggest (with the caveat that I'm a bona fide pencil pusher) is that you avoid mixing them in your carry rotation. Avoid having one pistol with a thumb safety and one without.
Old June 15, 2018, 07:04 AM   #5
Eazyeach

Good advice about the thumb safeties Spats. My carry rotation is similar. LCR, shield,and M&P 2.0 compact. I try to carry the 2.0 compact as much as possible but the shield ends up on my hip/pocket quite a bit.

The LCR has fallen out of favor since I short stroked the trigger and had malfunctions at my last range session. I think it’s from riding the trigger to reset like I do on my semis. User error sure, but I gotta fix that before it goes back in the rotation.
Old June 15, 2018, 08:02 AM   #6
Hal

#1 - Go-to is my LCP.
#2- Which I frequently have on or about me when out is my .45 acp S&W Shield.

Both are fairly low cost, easily replaced, ugly guns with no emotional attachments & little to no possibility that I will ever think of them as anything except a tool.

I agree with Spats 100% that all serious working guns should be as similar as possible.
Old June 15, 2018, 09:39 AM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I have a couple. Colt lightweight Officers ACP for normal carry, Colt Pony 380 for pocket carry in hot weather.
Old June 15, 2018, 09:59 AM   #8
KY_blkout

Never thought about the thumb safety issue. Definitely good advice. Pocket carrying with a holster is something I've never done, I've always felt like my draw would be severely hindered in a dire situation. Of course I'm sure with practice it can be just as fast as hip drawing.
Old June 15, 2018, 10:14 AM   #9
rickyrick

Ive carried a Beretta 92fs for years now. Tough to conceal but can be done no problem. It’s just the gun I’m best at shooting, and that’s what counts to me. Not really carrying for comfort.
Old June 15, 2018, 10:32 AM   #10
jr24

I try to always carry a similar action/trigger but sometimes use a smaller size. This is for CCW and HD.

Currently I'll carry a Glock 19X most of the time with a 26 available if I need more concealment, and a Glock 17 with streamlight as my HD/nightstand gun.

When I can get my hands on one I plan to switch to a Sig P229 SAO for carry (it works for 99% of my clothing choices) and will likely switch my HD gun to a widebody 1911 to keep everything with the same thumb safety for muscle memory purposes.
Old June 15, 2018, 11:42 AM   #11
peterg7

My EDC for 8 years has been an LCP with a G23 carried on occasion.

Now it will be a Shield with the LCP carried at home and the G23 as a sidearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 15, 2018, 12:29 PM   #12
CDW4ME

My EDC:
1911 strong side IWB plus a Glock 43 as "2nd option" in weak hand front pocket.
2nd option is comforting if approached in parking lot, gas pumps can put hand on it without revealing I'm carrying.
If something happened to dominant hand / arm I can still draw pistol with weak hand.
I had a factory premium HP squib lodge in barrel, also had an extractor edge break, both during practice and both reinforced benefit of 2nd option.
Started carrying concealed in 1992 and size of pistol increased over time, for perspective.
Old June 15, 2018, 12:57 PM   #13
TheGunGeek

One, a Beretta 85FS.

I do have small pocket pistol if the 85 can't be concealed, however it's rarely carried.
Old June 15, 2018, 01:56 PM   #14
Don Dayacetah

Got a few. Recently got a .357 snubbie, to transition from the property, where I'm
shooting snakes and other assorted pests, to town carry, with minimum difficulty.
Ratshot in two cylinders, safety ammo in the rest.
Old June 15, 2018, 02:06 PM   #15
cslinger

I shoot a lot of different guns. Hence I am passable with everything / master at none.

That being said my SD pistols are HK P2000’s in V3. It is more then one pistol but they are the same. One set up for nightstand, one for carry a backup etc. 99% of the time it’s an HK P2000. Maybe a P2000sk rarely or more rarely a P30. Even though those two are not identical they still use the same manual of arms, trigger type etc.

So as far as SD goes I don’t generally mix and match, its same, same so my brain is just ingrained with that manual of arms.

I think it’s funny how often I try to drop a magazine with my trigger finger when I am shooting a firearm with a traditional thumb mag release.
Old June 15, 2018, 03:54 PM   #16
lunger

My rotation is similar to Spats
Small LCP
Medium Glock 43
Large Glock 23

The 43 get the majority of carry time.
Old June 15, 2018, 04:21 PM   #17
TailGator

My primary carry, usually six days a week, is a Glock 26. I have a pocket pistol for times when IWB carry is a problem. That is mostly on Sundays, when as a church pianist I have to change from a jacket or suit coat to a robe, and then back, without privacy. The pocket pistol is a Sig P238. I know some folks will object that the mechanisms are too different, but I have practiced extensively with both and they feel so different in the hand that my mind switches to the right mode pretty automatically.
Old June 15, 2018, 04:22 PM   #18
Rangerrich99

My rotation has changed a bit in the recent past. I used to carry my S&W Shield9 in the late spring-summer-early fall months (I live in Phx; carrying a glock 19 size gun can be very uncomfortable), and a commander-length 9mm 1911 in the cooler months.

Just recently I've decided to carry the Shield in warmer weather and a S&W M&P40C 2.0 in the cooler months, to keep the same trigger style and ergos the same throughout the year.

Overall, I've found that I have had to train more to switch from type to type of gun, so to combat this issue I decided to carry a singular type/make/model so that my draw, trigger press and so on, are the same regardless of which caliber and size gun I carry.

In other words, I'm getting more lazy as I get older.
Old June 15, 2018, 06:22 PM   #19
lamarw

I am in the minority and vary my carry. Even to the point of a revolver at times and a pistol on other occasions. The pistols I carry are double action without a safety. Not too much to remember even at my advanced age.
Old June 15, 2018, 08:43 PM   #20
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_blkout View Post
Never thought about the thumb safety issue. Definitely good advice. Pocket carrying with a holster is something I've never done, I've always felt like my draw would be severely hindered in a dire situation. Of course I'm sure with practice it can be just as fast as hip drawing.
With the same caveat as before, I'll strongly advise that you use a holster if you pocket carry. I haven't run any timed drills, but I'm pretty sure that pocket draw is slower than hip draw. To my mind, there are a couple of critical points to pocket carry. First never, ever, ever carry anything in the pocket with the pistol. Don't risk having something slip into the trigger guard while the pistol is in your pocket. In the event that you do drop the pistol in on top of something else, a pocket holster helps make sure that nothing slips into the trigger guard. Second, a pocket holster also helps break up the outline of the pistol. The only pistol I pocket carry is a revolver, and using a holster helps make sure it doesn't LOOK like a pistol in my pocket.
Old June 15, 2018, 09:16 PM   #21
ChuteTheMall

Multiple guns, I like the variety.
No silly safety levers or gadgets, I prefer point and shoot.
Old June 15, 2018, 09:41 PM   #22
tallball

Small - P3AT
Warm weather - LCR (38 special)
Cool weather - Glock 43
Walking dog - Taurus 85 in back pocket
Cold weather - CA Bulldog in coat pocket

The Glock 43 will be replaced with my newly-acquired G26 by this coming fall.

Note that all are "aim, squeeze, bang" with no safety.

I shoot a lot of different handguns regularly. It doesn't bother me to carry or shoot a variety, especially if there's no safety involved.
Old June 16, 2018, 10:18 AM   #23
Bob Wright

Ruger Blackhawk .45 for me, summer, winter, spring and fall. Rain or shine. There have been a few times I stuck a S&W Model 642 in my pocket for a quick trip outside.

Bob Wright
Old June 16, 2018, 02:45 PM   #24
fastbolt

Quote:
CCDW: one go to gun or multiple?
Depends on the user, the anticipated conditions and the clothing being chosen ... and the user's skillset, training and experience with even just ONE handgun.

I spent a lot of my 26 years as a LE firearms trainer burning up ammo to become/remain familiar with using a fair selection of issued and personally-owned weapons.

As an older revolver and 1911 user, and then having transitioned to Traditional Double Action (DA/SA) for duty for many years, and then finally adding various DAO-ish/striker-fired makes/models to my training (and personal safe), I tried to remain versatile and flexible in my handgun skillset.

I also tend to consider all the years I was a DA revolver shooter, combined with a 1911 aficionado, to have helped make me better able to adapt to virtually any type of pistol.

Although I took a sabbatical from serving as an instructor more than a year ago, I still made sure I took a representative sampling of different revolvers and pistols to the range, including for LEOSA qual.

Nowadays my priority is not so much on building and developing new skills, but on trying to keep the rust from dulling the skills I worked so hard to acquire during my younger years.
Old June 16, 2018, 03:23 PM   #25
lee n. field

Quote:
Just wondering if others who CC have one firearm that is the go to no matter the clothing and master that one gun as much as possible? Or having multiple different that you might carry depending on weather and such. I exclusively carry a glock 19 no matter the situation myself, but have been toying with the idea on a Kimber micro 9 for the warmer months.
Multiple. I tend to carry a larger gun on weekend days, when I don't have to care.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "