The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 2, 2018, 01:19 PM   #26
10-96

Propforce said:
Quote:
It's not because of thickness of the grip.
Sometimes it is. For some folks, like me, when the grip is so large around or so long (as in desert eagles), it doesn't matter much where the trigger sits. If I can't get enough grip purchase on the part meant to be gripped, then I can't get a comfortable and stable gripping control. I like a long or medium length trigger on a 1911, but if it were a double stack 1911, then I kinda doubt I'd be happy with any trigger arrangement.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old June 2, 2018, 02:54 PM   #27
propforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Sherrill View Post
Many DA/DA guns have a longer trigger pull lengths than most 1911s so your photo isn't a good standard for comparison.
Fair enough.

Just for comparison, I put the CZ97B next to a CZ75 BD for a side by side comparison. I have not hear people complain about the trigger reach of CZ75 so I'd figure this will be a good comparison.

* See post #28 for the first image *

CZ75 on top of CZ97, you can see the CZ97 trigger is forward of CZ75

Just to show the back straps are lined up

The distance between the CZ97 back strap to the trigger

The distance between the CZ75 back strap to the trigger

Just to show it is not the thickness of CZ97 grip, a side-by-side comparison between a CZ75 and a CZ97 grip

*** Mods *** if you can adjust the size of photos I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by propforce; June 3, 2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old June 2, 2018, 04:33 PM   #28
propforce

I tried to crop the photo but not successful in re-sizing here.

Last edited by Mal H; June 3, 2018 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Resize huge images
Old June 2, 2018, 05:29 PM   #29
libiglou

The trigger reach issue is the only thing keeping me back from just buying one on gunbroker(a few are available). So I have to wait for my LGS to get one to try out so I can put this to rest either way. Great info guys
Old June 3, 2018, 10:48 AM   #30
Guyand

Propforce----thanks for the photos!! Much appreciated
Old June 3, 2018, 09:20 PM   #31
Walt Sherrill

Propforce:

The grip of 75B is narrower at the top, and the grip area expands as you move down, and then narrows again after a swell -- narrow, wider, narrow.

The 97B grip is basically straight, with no point that is narrower. That lack of that narrower area in the 97B grip affects the ability of the trigger finger to reach the trigger. It's thicker with the 97B than with the 75B.

It also looks as though you didn't measure the trigger length (from the center of the trigger to the backstrap the same way in both guns.

Looking at your last photo, when you lay a ruler on the screen and you'll see that distance from mid trigger to back strap is quite similar. (The measurement on the screen isn't relevant, but the relative difference is quite small.)

I've never measured the grip of the of the 97B vs. Witness Match, but there's no question that the Match trigger is an easier reach, and the grip of the Match feels much more like a 75B than a 97B in the hand.
Old June 15, 2018, 02:50 PM   #32
libiglou

Hey Guys

Just an update. Found a LGS that had 2 97's(b's). One was the older model with wooden grips and the other the latest model. I tried out both and I was able to manipulate the trigger easily on each one.I have small hands. The feel of the grip was amazing . Very 1911 ish. The triggers were just sweet. The alum gripped model looked as good good as it felt in my hand. The alum model was on layaway but the person never picked it up. I lucked out and was able to purchase it. I should have it next week after I get it put on my license(NY OF COURSE) Very excited to be joining the CZ club.
Old June 15, 2018, 06:24 PM   #33
JRR

A 97 converted to single action only can be fitted with a short reach trigger.
Old June 15, 2018, 07:23 PM   #34
jreXD9

I almost bought a 97 but didn't due to the trigger reach. My hands are M/L. The triggers on my PCR and Rami are well within reach, but the 97 was a stretch. Beautiful gun, though. I bet it's a soft shooter.
Old June 16, 2018, 12:10 PM   #35
libiglou

The hand size issue with this gun has me perplexed. I dont think I ever heard of any other gun having this problem. The Sales guy at the LGS called it internet exaggeration, but I'm not buying that. Too many people on this forum and others have said that trigger reach is an issue. However others ,including myself dont have an issue. I will admit the older version with the wooden grips did feel a bit blocky(something like holding a 2x4) . CZ did a great job with those alum grips. I would imagine getting LOK grips might make it even better. I'm wondering if its the shape of the hand and not the size of it that's the problem. I have a whole bunch of people that want to try this gun out. Definitely will be looking into this. It has me intrigued. Off to load 45acp. I think I'm going to be burning through lots of it in the next couple of weeks.
Old June 18, 2018, 08:03 PM   #36
PushPuller

Congrats on the purchase! The more I look at 97s the more I want one! wish I could find one locally to see, hold or play with but that's never gonna happen. My 75B gets treated like its an exotic, nobody here in Nebraska has caught on to the quality of CZ yet
Old June 18, 2018, 09:29 PM   #37
libiglou

pushpuller

Thanks. I posted on your post. Picking it up tomorrow. I'm going to try and post pictures. I had the same feeling as you. This is the only gun I refused to buy sight unseen based on so many concerning comments but for me it wasn't an issue. It fit my hand like a glove. Rumors have it that a shipment is due to arrive real soon from the mother country. My LGS has some kind of connection. They always have everything but tend to be overpriced. I didn't mind paying a bit more because the few used ones I saw were going for nearly the same price as a new one. The value on these things is just gonna go up. I will be doing a range report as soon as get to the range.