The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 9, 2017, 07:37 AM   #1
tank1949

LCP and CCI Hard Primers

Anyone had any issues with CCI primers not firing in an LCP? CCI is known for very hard primers, but they are consistent and I have always used them in reloading ammo. As a rule, I work up loads for accuracy but from time to time I do shoot factory ammo. My experience shooting rifles and pistols tells me that I can make them shoot more accurately by finding a sweet spot of powder, bullet, brass, primer combination. I did have to replace 2 Charter Arms' springs after a few CCI primers did not detonate. I noticed shallow dimples in the primers. Single action firing the Charter Arms worked ever time, but double action, I suspected that the internal spring was not compressed enough. I replace springs with Wolf springs and never had an issue. I usually buy CCI primers by the K and have plenty of inventory of only CCI. I do not want to buy an extra brick of small pistol primers (non CCI) for the LCP. If anyone had experienced issues shooting CCI primers in an LCP, please advise. Also, their most accurate factory 380 LCP ammo... I may have to keep the LCP shooting only factory ammo. THX!
Old December 9, 2017, 09:35 AM   #2
ritepath

Great post...Like you I almost always load CCI's, but bad news for you is I don't load for my LCP, so I have zero idea.
Old December 9, 2017, 10:24 AM   #3
briandg

CCI doesnt work very well with my bodyguard either. Yes, tiny little dimples, slightly harder brass, but the bottom line is that whether it is a striker or hammer fired, these pistols have so little mass in the firing pins or hammers, and so little power and length on the springs that the impact on the primers is just plain weak and unavoidably so.

If you want to have a pistol fire absolutely reliably you have to have one of those gigantic masses of steel and the long, heavy steel springs that throw those things with all the power of an eight pound splitting maul.

Your best and probably only option is to just do what you have to do and get new primers that are capable of firing with some reliability. Don't carry handloads. Test out whatever carry ammo you buy extensively, for example, if you are going to carry hornady, it will probably use the same primers in all of their loads. Use a hundred or so of the defensive ammo, then pound the thing silly with hornady practice ammo.

I advise against cci primers, and blazer or other ammo by cci are suspect to me. There is a winchester light recoil load, well, the thing works on recoil, right? you are going to have failures due to having not enough recoil to fully cycle the action.

These things are not tested beyond a few rounds, if they are tested at all, and it is up to you to shake it down and make it work. that's just the way it is with modern manufacturing of guns that sell for $300. the LCP may sell wholesale for only about $200 or less, they can't afford to pay a gunsmith or inspector $20 -30 hourly and benefits to do a half hour test and inspection and still keep the prices low enough to keep the public from griping.
Old December 9, 2017, 12:30 PM   #4
tank1949

I guess the next thing is to simply waste a few cci primers. I had a Glock 10mm refuse to go boom if it was exposed to freezing conditions. I missed 2 deer on 2 different trips. I phoned Glock and they immediately requested the gun and any additional Glocks. Apparently, others had complained about the freezing issues. They returned both guns. I loaded both and stored in my freezer over night. Both went BOOM the next morning. What ever they did, fixed the problem.

THX to all...I might have a couple of hundred Remington primers.
Old December 9, 2017, 01:10 PM   #5
David R

No problems with my LCP and CCI primers.

David

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old December 9, 2017, 01:22 PM   #6
SGW Gunsmith

Geeez! I've been using CCI primers since 1969 when I first started reloading for .30 Carbine for a Ruger Blackhawk, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .45 ACP and .45 Colt. I can't recall ever having issues with these primers due to a "hard" primer cup.

Maybe a new hammer/striker spring is in order?
Old December 9, 2017, 02:29 PM   #7
Cheapshooter

What would be the possible advantage of handloading for accuracy be in a tiny pocket mouse gun intended for point and shoot self defense?
Just buy a box of Speer Gold Dot 380 ammo for carry, and use what ever works for practice, and plinking.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 9, 2017, 03:20 PM   #8
K_Mac

Cheapshooter I am also an LCP enthusiast. I am well satisfied with the accuracy of the pistol, especially since adding the Houge grip. I haven't shot enough bullseye or used a rest to determine what ammo shoots the tiniest groups in thousands of rounds though. It shoots everything I feed it just fine for my purpose. I shoot whatever range ammo is cheapest most of the time, and use Hornady Critical Defense for carry. Works for me.
Old December 9, 2017, 03:25 PM   #9
turtlehead

No problems here either. But I've only put about 200 of my reloads through it so far.

Advantages are loading up 50 rounds for under $7.
Old December 9, 2017, 03:56 PM   #10
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
What would be the possible advantage of handloading for accuracy be in a tiny pocket mouse gun intended for point and shoot self defense?
Just buy a box of Speer Gold Dot 380 ammo for carry, and use what ever works for practice, and plinking.
So much ignorance in this post. Accuracy at any distance is important. Function is even more important. If you take the time and develop a sweet spot load for a particular gun it is going to be more accurate and more reliable than off the shelf ammo. It is also going to be a lot cheaper by about 70%. You can also shoot the exact same load for practice that you load for self defense. If you swap the projectile you can get more practice in with the identical recoil impluse. Can't do that shooting whatever crap is cheapest and then shooting premium ammo for defense.

If you don't choose to go that route I can totally understand that but miss the point of the exercise and the question. You did not really address the OPs question so I am not sure why you even bothered to post except for the fact the question was LCP related, because you never miss and opportunity to talk about one of your favorite "cheap" guns.

To the OP CCI are some of the hardest primers available. The only ones I can think of that are consistently harder are Wolf and Tula. I would try a few CCIs and see if your LCP ignites them. My LCP will ignite CCI but these days I use a lot of Sellier and Bellot because I have been able to get them for about $20 1000. They are softer and ever gun in the safe ignites them. If CCI does not work try S&B, Winchester and Federal. All are lighter than CCI.

Last edited by WVsig; December 9, 2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old December 11, 2017, 08:55 AM   #11
tank1949

10-4 and thanks!