The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 2, 2017, 09:03 PM   #1
mattL46

Gunsmith recommendations for 85 winchester

Hello all, I'm looking for recommendations for a gunsmith who may specialize in the 85 winchester single shot rifles, or at Least one that is competent with the aforementioned. My dad has a complete high wall action that he would like to have barrelled/chambered and stocked. Being that we are of the blue collar type we would like to inquire first, so maybe someone that you know Is ok with giving an estimate, considering cost will definitely be the deciding factor. Its an unfortunate story, the rifle was started by his father before he passed away who was a very skilled machinist/gunsmith. We asked his uncle who is a very skilled gunsmith to help us with this project in trade for a lot of his dad's machine tools, he agreed and several years later we still only have an action and he has more tools! Ha, oh well. We're trying to move forward with the project and just get it up and running. I would really appreciate any reccomendations from you fine folks. Thank you!
Matt
Old December 3, 2017, 11:24 PM   #2
Scorch

Just built an 1885. Picked up an action last year in trade, got a barrel and stock set, and built a medium barrel weight target rifle. John Taylor did the metal work, Hunter Restoration did the color case and rust bluing. Turned out beautiful.
Old December 4, 2017, 11:40 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Take two weeks of Machine Shop at TSJC. You'll be doing the barrel yourself. It's not hard. BTW, I did conservation work on an original 1885. What a fascinating and simple action.
Old December 8, 2017, 11:11 PM   #4
mattL46

@scorch where did you find your barrel set? What cartridge did you go with? Thank you for the reply.

@45gary yes sir, one of my favorite actions/rifles. My dad is actually fairly skilled and competent, we just don't have access to machinery. Again, unfortunate that his uncle has an entire machine shop but we can't really use it, so were kinda stuck. We will figure it out eventually.
Old December 8, 2017, 11:30 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

C'mon down to TSJC this summer! I'm taking basic engraving and just signed up today.
Old December 9, 2017, 01:48 AM   #6
Scorch

Quote:
scorch where did you find your barrel set? What cartridge did you go with?
I researched my action (call the Cody museum) and found out it left the factory as a 40-70 WCF, which is pretty cool, one of the rarest Model 1885 chamberings. When I got it, it was just a bare action, so I have no idea of its history since it left New Haven.

I bought a .406" groove diameter barrel from Green Mountain, octagon #3-1/2 Winchester profile. I opted for 1/2 round instead of full octagon because I like it better and it weighs about 1/2 lbs less. 36" long. Ordered the 40-70 WCF reamer from PTG (took 11 months and several promised ship dates that were missed to get it from them!!) and John Taylor threaded/chambered the barrel.

The stock was from Macon Gunstocks, a straight grip shotgun butt walnut target stock with cheek piece (not what it had when it left the factory, but I like cheek pieces). The forend was a big bulky blob, but I eventually worked it down and copied an original 1885 forend, including the ebony inlay in the tip. Finish is tung oil, no stain or varnish.

Mike Hunter at Hunter Restorations did the rust bluing, nitre, and color case . I was showing it to a friend of mine the other day, a Winchester fan, and he was breathless over it. It turned out very nice.
Old December 9, 2017, 04:08 PM   #7
dakota.potts

Scorch,
I hate to be that guy, but with all the teasing of your gun, perhaps some pics could be provided? I know I'd love to see them
Old December 9, 2017, 09:06 PM   #8
Scorch

Teasing? No, just having my little feud with photobucket. But for you, I'll show it. But it's hard to show the whole rifle when it has a 35" barrel, so here's the important part.

Looks like imgur wins! And no, I am not a professional photographer. As if there were any question about that.

MattL46, if you decide on a 40-72, I know someone who has an original 1885 barrel.

Last edited by Scorch; December 9, 2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old December 9, 2017, 09:25 PM   #9
dakota.potts

I use imgur to post my pictures. I find it very easy to use.
Old December 10, 2017, 03:54 PM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

I suggest contacting Scorch for an image of the barrel. Bore must be in very good condition and exterior should not be rusted and dinged badly.