The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old November 2, 2018, 09:29 AM   #1
Three44s

Heidi Heitcamp Must Be Getting Desperate

Heidi must be getting desperate!

https://dailycaller.com/2018/11/01/n...ok-ad-hunters/

She will be moving somewhere else after she picks up the pieces after a low down stunt like this ....

Three44s
Old November 2, 2018, 09:40 AM   #2
Sharkbite

Holy smokes. How low can we sink?
Old November 2, 2018, 10:20 AM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

WhaaaaaaT ???
Old November 2, 2018, 11:54 AM   #4
Dufus

Sounds like a Pulosi/feenstein/suros plot to keep 2A voters from the poles by instigating a fear campaign.

I think the dumocrats have stooped to new lows during this season. Just think how [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]y they will be during 2020.

Makes me want to puke on Beto.
Old November 2, 2018, 12:19 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

I followed the link in the article, to "learn more", and didn't...
This is all it says..

Quote:
By voting in North Dakota, you could forfeit your hunting licenses.
You MUST be a resident of North Dakota to vote here. And if you are a resident of North Dakota, you may lose hunting licenses you have in other states.

If you want to keep your out-of-state hunting licenses, you may not want to vote in North Dakota’s 2018 election.
and this...

Quote:
Paid for and authorized by the North Dakota Democratic-NPL Party. Not authorized by any candidates or candidate's committee. www.demnpl.com.
This is not exactly a lie, but its not even close to a HALF truth, more like a very remote connection to the truth with a huge inference to a lie...

The true part is that if you vote in N.Dakota, you could (if caught, you would) lose your out of state hunting license. IF your out of state license was a RESIDENT LICENSE.

This is nothing new, its always been that way. To vote in a particular state, you must be a resident of that state. To buy a resident hunting license, you have to be a resident of the state. If you aren't a resident, you buy (the much more expensive) Non-Resident Hunting License to hunt in that state. Voting in North Dakota, or any other state has ZERO effect on non-resident hunting licenses. NONE.

The lie is both blatant and subtle. The suble lie is the use of the word "may". In this case I can only interpret the word "may" to mean "if you are caught" because if the authorities are made aware that you are holding a resident license (and this goes for hunting, fishing, and DRIVER's licenses) for a state you are not a legal resident of, the license WILL BE CANCLED. (and you may, or may not face charges...)

The statement could have read "if you vote in N.Dakota, you could lose your Wisconsin driver's license" and be equally factually accurate.

If you move to a different state, there is usually a grace period to get a new driver's license. When you are legally a resident of the new state, your previous state's license is INVALID, same for hunting licenses, etc.

By them using the word "may" they imply there is some other option. THERE IS NOT. When you change residence states, there is no "may" your previous residence state's licenses and permits are no longer valid, BECAUSE you aren't a resident of that state any longer.

The only exception to this that I know of is for marriage licenses. And before anyone gets us started on the requirements for states to recognize and "give full faith and credit" to their "acts", that doesn't apply in this case.

If you have a Florida driver's license, you can drive on it, in Washington, if you are a Florida resident. The state recognizes that license for you, a resident of Florida, are just visiting. If you are a Washington resident and you have a Florida driver's license, (and don't have a WA license) then you don't have a valid driver's license.

The Game laws are even more clearly stated. If you aren't a resident of the state you want to hunt in, you get a non-resident license, or you don't legally hunt there. There is no allowance for visitors the way there is for driver's licenses.

The ad is deceitful, implying a risk that does not exist, and worse, downright un-"democratic" by urging certain people NOT TO VOTE!

No matter what party, no matter what positions they hold on ANY political issue, people who adopt, use and endorse, either actively or passively, the kind of thing this ad embodies are not fit for public office, of any kind! (in my opinion)

It's not just low, its vile on several levels...
Old November 2, 2018, 12:32 PM   #6
TXAZ

I thought there was a federal law that specifically made it a crime to encourage any group of people to not vote, or to provide false information (such as "Election Day has changed to next Tuesday due to traffic") as was perpetrated against one low income part of town in Texas 20 years ago.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 2, 2018, 12:33 PM   #7
FITASC

She should be barred from running, their party disbanded and voided from all ballots
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 2, 2018, 12:39 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

If the National Democratic party doesn't throw the people involved in this "under the bus" and then drive back and forth over them a few times, they are going to lose even more political points...
Old November 2, 2018, 01:14 PM   #9
zukiphile

The positions of Heitkamp's challenger, Kevin Cramer, on firearms related issues.

http://www.ontheissues.org/Domestic/...un_Control.htm
Old November 2, 2018, 03:17 PM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

If Heitcamp had any ethical inclinations at all she would personally, immediately, vocally, repeatedly disavow that message and strongly encourage any and all duly registered citizens to vote.
But (for both parties), it only counts as “voter suppression” when it hurts YOUR voters.
Old November 2, 2018, 05:01 PM   #11
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAZ View Post
I thought there was a federal law that specifically made it a crime to encourage any group of people to not vote, or to provide false information (such as "Election Day has changed to next Tuesday due to traffic") as was perpetrated against one low income part of town in Texas 20 years ago.
yer kidding, right?

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 2, 2018, 06:09 PM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
The true part is that if you vote in N.Dakota, you could (if caught, you would) lose your out of state hunting license. IF your out of state license was a RESIDENT LICENSE.

This is nothing new, its always been that way. To vote in a particular state, you must be a resident of that state. To buy a resident hunting license, you have to be a resident of the state. If you aren't a resident, you buy (the much more expensive) Non-Resident Hunting License to hunt in that state. Voting in North Dakota, or any other state has ZERO effect on non-resident hunting licenses. NONE.
Except that, depending on how the laws in the respective states are worded, you may qualify as a resident of multiple states. Even the BATFE recognizes that people who own a vacation residence in a second state are (for BATFE purposes, at least) considered to be residents of the vacation state during periods when they are living in the vacation house.

My grandfather owned a vacation house in Maine. He and my grandmother typically spent roughly six months out of each year there, and the other six months "down here." They usually came "home" in mid- to late October, so their voting address was maintained "here," but for all other purposes they were residents of both states.

My grandfather only owned one car, and that was also registered here. There were other families who vacationed in the same town in Maine who came from farther away than the (long) one-day drive it was for my grandparents. Many of those other families kept a car in Maine year-round, and it was registered in Maine. They paid property taxes in Maine, attended churches in Maine, did everything residents of Maine did except vote. I don't know if any of them had hunting licenses (I was a teen-ager then, and my thing was sailing) but, if they did, I expect they would have qualified for resident rates.

https://www.maine.gov/ifw/hunting-tr...ml#definitions

Looking at Maine's licensing fees, I discovered that there's one thing my state got right (and it amazes me): I'm a senior citizen. My state doesn't charge me for either my hunting license or my fishing license. I was quite surprised to see that Maine doesn't even have a reduced fee for senior citizens.
Old November 2, 2018, 06:48 PM   #13
FITASC

I wonder what the D party and her would have thought if all of those hunters were wanting to vote D. Would she have still wanted them to stay away?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 2, 2018, 07:31 PM   #14
rickyrick

It’s gonna be rough next time time the party in office changes. That’s as neutral as I can make it.
Old November 2, 2018, 07:36 PM   #15
TXAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93 View Post
yer kidding, right?
Nope, not kidding. That happened 2012 when we were in Austin TX. I don't know what the final outcome was, but i believe the feds were called in and starting saying "Voting Rights Act".

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 3, 2018, 01:48 AM   #16
ballardw

For this to be enforced someone would have to be comparing hunting license lists against voter registration lists.

There are already organizations that find comparing voter registration lists with others that would disqualify someone from voting, such as death records or felony convictions, "offensive" I have a hard time believing there is much money to this one.
Old November 3, 2018, 08:40 AM   #17
Three44s

I speculate the Dems are hoping to scare off any hunter who has any tag/ license to hunt in another state. That is separate from someone posing as a permanent resident in more than one state at a time and getting resident hunting privileges in more than one state at a time.

We all know which side of the political equation conducts itself such that many of their supporters vote multiple times and register non-citizens to also vote and it sure is devoid of conservatives and constitutionalists.

Whether the Dems know this or even care .... I don’t know. They are just out to blatantly suppress the vote of folks that vote against them. They are desperate.

Three44s
Old November 3, 2018, 09:06 AM   #18
USNRet93

Three 44s writes-
Quote:
We all know which side of the political equation conducts itself such that many of their supporters vote multiple times and register non-citizens to also vote and it sure is devoid of conservatives and constitutionalists.

Whether the Dems know this or even care .... I don’t know. They are just out to blatantly suppress the vote of folks that vote against them. They are desperate.
The commission created by Trump himself and chaired by Pence found almost no illegal voting in 2016. Most reliable, non partisan studies, looking at the billions of votes cast over the years, have found that the percentage of illegal voting is tiny. Certainly not the 3 million claimed.

Recently, 36 states have enacted various voting rules and voter registration regulations that many see as targeting people of color or those on the lower economic side of the equation..Those groups most often vote for democrat candidates, those 36 states all have GOP governors.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 3, 2018, 10:56 AM   #19
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Nope, not kidding. That happened 2012 when we were in Austin TX. I don't know what the final outcome was, but i believe the feds were called in and starting saying "Voting Rights Act".
Texas and many of the other former confederate states are still subject to voting oversight that many northern states don’t have to go through.

As for Sen. Heitkampf, she was a solid vote on 2A issues until the Kavanaugh confirmation. Once she goes, that’s pretty much the last pro 2A Senator in the Democratic party. It will be entirely anti-Second without even a few dissenting voices.
Old November 3, 2018, 02:36 PM   #20
JN01

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93 View Post
Three 44s writes-
The commission created by Trump himself and chaired by Pence found almost no illegal voting in 2016. Most reliable, non partisan studies, looking at the billions of votes cast over the years, have found that the percentage of illegal voting is tiny. Certainly not the 3 million claimed.

Recently, 36 states have enacted various voting rules and voter registration regulations that many see as targeting people of color or those on the lower economic side of the equation..Those groups most often vote for democrat candidates, those 36 states all have GOP governors.
Some regulations make fraudulent voting easy to do but hard to detect. Some states do not require (or prohibit) asking for proof of citizenship when registering to vote- the applicant simply has to claim he is a citizen. Coupled with not requiring a photo ID at the polls, illegal voting would not be readily evident. As such, it's hard to see how anyone could determine how much, if any, fraud was being committed.

The integrity of elections is extremely important. It seems to me that requiring a voter to prove he is a citizen and to produce a valid ID should be a basic requirement.
Old November 3, 2018, 03:41 PM   #21
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Some states allow early voting (which I don't think should be allowed ... it makes a mockery out of the term "election day"). Texas is one of them, and early voters in Texas are reporting that the machines are changing their votes.

I don't know what kind of machines Texas uses. My state uses cards that we fill in circles on, using black marker pens. The cards are then fed into a machine that "reads" the black marks and records the votes. Voters don't get any confirmation or anything -- we feed the card into the maw of the machine and hope for the best.
Old November 3, 2018, 04:48 PM   #22
rickyrick

We have mail ballots and I don’t like it. Who knows what happens to it... Sent it off a couple of weeks ago. You can even find a tutorial that shows you who to vote for.
Old November 3, 2018, 07:48 PM   #23
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The integrity of elections is extremely important. It seems to me that requiring a voter to prove he is a citizen and to produce a valid ID should be a basic requirement.
I kind of agree, perhaps we should require a background check before allowing a person to vote?

The same felony conviction that makes you a prohibited person for firearms ownership (or even mere possession) ALSO removes your right to vote.
SO if we need a background check to exercise one Constitutionally listed right, why not need a check for ANY or ALL of them??

EVERY TIME!!

Sauce for the goose...
Old November 3, 2018, 07:56 PM   #24
Bartholomew Roberts

USNRet93 - Former Democratic Party leader paid women in alleged Tarrant voter fraud ring, AG says

It happens. That investigation may end up with as many as 20,000 ballots affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguilaBlanca
Texas is one of them, and early voters in Texas are reporting that the machines are changing their votes.
It is an error with a specific brand of electronic voting machine used in Texas where if you vote a straight party ticket and select the box more than once, it flips your votes to the opposite party. If you review your votes or wait a bit after selecting the first time, you can avoid the issue.
Old November 3, 2018, 08:01 PM   #25
Three44s

No illegal voting found?

Trump’s Commission on illegal voting never got off the ground!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.4ab36d0dd535

The Dems threw their usual hissy fits and several challenges landed in court. Trump sent the commission packing and turned over the fact finding Homeland Security.

A local Hispanic Mayor in my county has many friends who are illegals. They tell him that ballots just showed up. He asked them if they marked and turned them in and they responded YES! They thought since they received them it must be alright to mark and send! This was when we had a Democrat Auditor.

There is one reason and one reason only why Dems get their shorts bunched up on this issue and the only thing “race” in it is crooked votes count, it is not about racism.

The thought that Republicans are out to disenfranchise black voters is historically false. Patently false! In fact the opposite is true.

A Republican POTUS presided over a bloody civil war against the Democratically controlled South. When the South lost, it was that same Democrat party that kept chipping away at the Black’s new found freedom.

Jim Crowe was a Southern Democrat invention. Gun control was also plied on blacks by ..... the Democrats.

In the mid 60’s LBJ could not get the Southern Dems to vote for the Civil Rights Act. Who helped it pass?

REPUBLICANS!

The thing that Dems have done to Blacks in the name of helping them is to chain, yes CHAIN them to welfare.

I can not decide if they have hurt the Native Americans the most with this policy or Black Americans. All I know is it has nearly destroyed large swaths of their populations.

Three44s

Last edited by Three44s; November 3, 2018 at 08:18 PM.
Closed Thread