The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 24, 2018, 03:59 PM   #1
HistoryJunky

Aftermarket barrel for Gen4 G26

I'm looking to get an aftermarket threaded barrel for my Gen4 G26. I have read that some of the aftermarket Glock barrels are that reliable compared to factory.

I am going to put a compensator on it otherwise I'd just use a G19 barrel if that would work. Or if a ported G19 barrel is available at a reasonable price.

I know next to nothing about aftermarket Glock parts so feel free to enlighten me.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old October 24, 2018, 06:50 PM   #2
TunnelRat

I put a few thousand rounds through a KKM Precision barrel for a Glock 19 and it both ran great and had a tighter lockup than my factory barrel, and that was the drop in barrel.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old October 25, 2018, 06:44 AM   #3
HistoryJunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
I put a few thousand rounds through a KKM Precision barrel for a Glock 19 and it both ran great and had a tighter lockup than my factory barrel, and that was the drop in barrel.

I will look into them. I know they've been making Glock barrels for quite awhile. I just don't want to end up with junk. It seems like everybody makes Glock barrels these days.

Old October 25, 2018, 07:40 AM   #4
TunnelRat

Even the Lone Wolf barrels that tend to be cheaper generally aren't junk from what I've read. I think anything from the people specializing in barrels is likely pretty safe.

I will add a short customer service story. When I got my KKM barrel there was a shallow scratch across the crown area that you could only feel with a finger nail. Now I doubt it would have affected anything, but I emailed them anyway. They apologized and immediately shipped to me via priority mail a new barrel and a prepaid label to ship the other barrel back. It was basically an advanced RMA but I didn't have to put any money down.

Old October 27, 2018, 04:27 AM   #5
HistoryJunky

That is indeed some darn good customer service. You don't see that in a lot of business anymore. I'll probably check out KKM when I get my extra check this month.

Old October 27, 2018, 06:33 AM   #6
Rob228

Quote:
Any chance you can give some further impressions? Would you spend the money again if you had the chance?
Old October 27, 2018, 08:13 AM   #7
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob228 View Post
Any chance you can give some further impressions? Would you spend the money again if you had the chance?
That's a good question. I did it with the notion of shooting reloads. In that case and in the case that you need a modified barrel, like the OP, I think a number of aftermarket companies make sense as you need a new barrel anyway and the quality and service of those companies is certainly up to the task.

If the question is, "is it worth it to replace a stock barrel with a nonstock barrel simply for accuracy?", I'm not sure. In my case the stock barrel of this Gen 3 was noticeably looser than the other Gen 3 G19s I had, so this did make a difference. This was also a drop in barrel and not a gunsmith fit barrel, so a tighter fit above that is certainly possible. You can usually find benchrest comparisons, or even ransom rest comparisons, of aftermarket barrels vs. stock barrels and there is almost always a noticeable difference.

All that said, in my experience the biggest factor in handgun accuracy is the shooter. There are absolutely a number of excellent handgun shooters out there. However, the number that will notice the difference between say 3" at 25 yds and 1.5" at 25 yds isn't very large, and if your goal is simply effective hits for defensive shooting, then either of those works.

Old October 27, 2018, 04:18 PM   #8
Rob228

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.
Old October 27, 2018, 05:36 PM   #9
dontcatchmany

Look at TR Enabling!