The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 27, 2022, 11:07 PM   #1
Lavan

Locked and loaded carry ?

Not a 1911 query.
Browning Hi Power.
Safe carry condition like a 1911?

Old September 28, 2022, 12:15 AM   #2
AustinTX

Yes, cocked-and-locked carry is perfectly safe with a BHP -- although if it's a pre-Mark III safety and has not been upgraded with an aftermarket part, disengaging it quickly under duress will almost certainly be a significant challenge.
Old September 28, 2022, 02:07 PM   #3
Smaug

Yep, they were designed for it.

Maybe not QUITE as safe as a 1911, as BHPs don't have grip safeties too.

The stock trigger is not that light, so I wouldn't worry about it.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old September 28, 2022, 03:07 PM   #4
RickB

Mk. IIIs, and perhaps some "late" Mk. IIs have a firing pin block to make the gun more drop safe.
If your gun has the FP block, the sear lever, which runs along the right side of the slide, transferring trigger movement to the sear, will have a "flag" at the rear that extends to the middle of the slide.
Old September 28, 2022, 06:31 PM   #5
Kevin Rohrer

Those who ask questions like that need to get outside training w/ it so they learn the answer (i.e. proper operation) on their own.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old September 29, 2022, 03:50 PM   #6
Lavan

Quote:
Those who ask questions like that need to get outside training w/ it so they learn the answer (i.e. proper operation) on their own.
Having a bit of a presumptuous and insulting day are we, Kevvy?
Old September 29, 2022, 04:24 PM   #7
kell

Well said.
Old October 1, 2022, 08:40 AM   #8
dgludwig

Yep.
Old October 1, 2022, 11:56 AM   #9
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Reminder to ALL members: Forum rules --

3. No spamming, trolling, flaming, invective or other personal attacks, be they acrimonious or veiled in humor. If you take issue with a Member's position, by all means speak your mind. If you have a problem with a Member's religion, national origin, sex, politics, associations, or personal hygiene, then take it to email.
Jeepaholic
Old October 1, 2022, 05:45 PM   #10
Sharkbite

My EDC is a 1911(ish) pistol (Wilson EDC X9) carried cocked and locked. I carried a 1911 on the S.O. I was with, so im very comfortable with C&L carry.

Last year i picked up a Springfield SA35 ( high-power clone) and would be carrying it if i had not gotten the Wilson. Cocked and locked is the only way i would carry that type of gun.

Empty chamber makes no sense to me for a defensive pistol and hammer down on a live round is an accident waiting to happen (no way to safely decock). So, cock it and lock it….

With the prober training and skills of course.
Old October 1, 2022, 08:56 PM   #11
Eddiejoe

I used to be concerned about carrying cocked and locked.
It took me years to get comfortable with it. I bought a CZ clone and I just forced myself to get comfortable with it. I am not a fan of carry a pistol that is not chambered. I laugh at the shows on TV that show a person drawing and them racking the slide. If I need to draw my pistol, I will be under stress. I don't want to have to think about whether it's ready to shoot.
I carry all of my pistols chambered and with the safety ( if there is one) on.
Old October 3, 2022, 12:38 PM   #12
rock185

Lavan, Back in the '70s I carried a Hi Power off-duty cocked and locked. Did the 250 class at Gunsite with a Hi Power. Came back a year later and did the 499 class with a 1911, C&L of course. Last several years in LE carried a 1911. Some of these had firing pin safeties, others not. I did install better sights and extended thumb safeties on the HPs and 1911s I carried back in the day. This was before today's good factory sights, safeties, etc. became common.

My point in this little historical narrative is that I never had an issue in carrying a Hi Power or 1911 C&L in training, carry or qualification.
Old October 3, 2022, 04:50 PM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

Personally I've always wondered WHY so many people seem to worry about cocked with the safety ON, only when the gun has an externally visible hammer...

There are, I suspect, literally hundreds of firearm designs, rifles, shotguns and pistols that are either striker fired or have internal hammers that are loaded, "safed" and carried and no one squalls or freaks out.
Old October 3, 2022, 05:15 PM   #14
jar

Two of oldest pistols are both striker fired with external safety (and one also has a grip safety) and they were made in 1913. My oldest pistol is an internal hammer (and also has a grip safety) and it was made in 1906.
Old October 4, 2022, 12:30 PM   #15
44 AMP
Staff

While there are examples of some kind of safety (device that blocked firing) on a very few muzzle loaders, generally speaking, what we think of a safety today wasn't a feature of firearms until "hammerless" repeating cartridge firearms showed up, in the late 1880s and early 1890s.

Semiauto handguns showed up in the early 1890s, and like all "new technology" many different ideas were used during the early decades of development.

Some of Browning's early designs don't have safeties, and several have only a grip safety. Apparently, Browning believed that was sufficient. His original 1910 prototype 45 only has a grip safety. The safety lock (aka thumb safety) was added to the gun at the customer's request (US Govt) and the result became the 1911.

I consider the Hi Power to be safe to carry cocked and locked. It is not any less safe than any other quality firearm with a manual safety carried chamber loaded safety ON.

Do not confuse mechanical "drop safety" with manual safeties or safe carry. It is a different thing.
Old October 4, 2022, 12:53 PM   #16
jar

The 1903 already had both grip and thumb safety. Was that a request from either Colt or FN?

IIRC the FN 1910 had a manual thumb safety but also had the magazine disconnect safety as well.
Old October 24, 2022, 10:41 AM   #17
Gas Bag

I would carry a Hi Power that is cocked and locked, since I have done it with my 1911 plenty of times. Anyway, I would trust it.
Old October 24, 2022, 10:44 AM   #18
Gas Bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Personally I've always wondered WHY so many people seem to worry about cocked with the safety ON, only when the gun has an externally visible hammer...

There are, I suspect, literally hundreds of firearm designs, rifles, shotguns and pistols that are either striker fired or have internal hammers that are loaded, "safed" and carried and no one squalls or freaks out.
Squawkers will squawk, because that’s what they do, and they don’t seem to put a lot of deep thinking into it. If they did, they would probably shut their mouths.
Old October 25, 2022, 01:42 AM   #19
bamaranger

trooper

I had a State Trooper question my BHP as it was cocked in the holster at a gun show. Thing was, the gun had been checked at the door and a CABLE TIE had been run through the trigger guard and up between the frame and the hammer, then snipped flush. The event staff did it, I would have locked the slide back and then cable tied the slide open, but they were busy and I did not question their procedure. I carried the gun open in the holster, as I was open to sale or trade on the pistol (in the long run, I kept it and am glad I did).

Anyhow, that Trooper, a young fellow I might add, took me to task, .....perhaps he thought I had not followed protocol and checked the gun at the door. In any event, he was clearing distraught that the gun was cocked. I suppose if all one knows are Glocks, the sight of a BHP or a 1911 with the hammer cocked is quite disturbing. I politely, without handling the pistol, informed him the gun was checked and ziplocked as per the drill.
Old October 25, 2022, 02:14 AM   #20
Cosmodragoon

I don't like cocked and locked on a carry gun. Manual safeties are an extra step I don't want in an emergency defensive tool.

The trigger is the only control I want. The only on-board hedge I'll accept is a double action trigger, since it keeps to one control or one variable that needs to be manipulated in order to use the firearm once drawn. The only hedge I consider necessary is a good holster that properly protects the trigger.
Old October 25, 2022, 07:52 AM   #21
jar

I like a manual safety in addition to all other safety devices on all of my carry pistols unless it is a DAO or DA/SA pistol with a heavy trigger pull when in DA mode or if it is a revolver.

I don't want it to ever be too easy to pull the trigger.
Old October 25, 2022, 08:55 AM   #22
jaysouth

Just remember, NO military formation in any country, on any continent authorized "cocked and locked" carry of 1911s or FN Hi-powers. Indeed, you were punished if caught carrying a round in the chamber. No Military Policeman who was likely to enter the "seat of government", that is Washington, DC, was allowed to carry a 1911. This regulation existed until the Beretta was issued in the mid 80s.
Old October 25, 2022, 10:22 AM   #23
JDBerg

It was quite common for armies on both sides during WWII to train their soldiers to carry a pistol on an empty chamber. The U.S. Army Field Manual for the 1911A1 pistol from 1940 reinforces this idea. On Page 19, the manual recommends that, “In campaign, when early use of the pistol is not foreseen, it should be carried with a fully loaded magazine in the socket, chamber empty, hammer down.”

You all are really going to want to review the below link, fascinating stuff, proves that good information from 82 years ago is still applicable today,

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA...Fs/FM23-35.pdf

Last edited by JDBerg; October 25, 2022 at 10:28 AM.
Old October 25, 2022, 10:43 AM   #24
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBerg View Post

You all are really going to want to review the below link, fascinating stuff, proves that good information from 82 years ago is still applicable today,

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA...Fs/FM23-35.pdf
I guess, though my needs and desires carrying concealed in public as a civilian are likely different than those of a soldier during wartime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 25, 2022, 11:22 AM   #25
JDBerg

Instead of "You all", I should have said, "Us 1911 buffs and aficionados of military weapons history, etc."